6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Toning down the chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
mmollo
Junior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toning down the chrome

After three or four weeks of ownership the mods are starting to take place.
Weather tech floor mats
Smoked cab lights ( redneck light ) installed
Smoked rear lights
Smoked third brake light
F1 Bakflip bed cover

And today started to tone down the chrome. Here are some quick cell phone shots from my painter. I'll get some better ones tomorrow if you guys are interested. He painted the front and rear bumpers, the mirror caps and a new paint ready grill surround. I will be replacing the chrome grill surround tomorrow with the painted one you see in the picture.

Thanks to Epic I can get the grill off in about 2 minutes, but how do you get the surround off? I saw all the clips and obviously you have to unclip all of them, but how do you start to unclip them without breaking them off as you go? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images      
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that looks really awesome. In fact I think my blue 2012 would look awesome with the bumpers painted blue like the body.

Great idea painting it, looks good.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
stro1965
Junior User
Is that Vermillion Red?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM
mmollo
Junior User

Originally Posted by stro1965
Is that Vermillion Red?
Yes it is.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 PM
olds403
New User
Just changed my surround and installed the ford paint to match one last weekend. First mark your old one while its on the truck as i did not and it took a while to realign everything. Once you get the old one off its heavier than you think. Lay it down and protect the front with towels or something. You will need a thin metal paint putty knife to push the plastic like clips that hold the surround shell to the inner grille. In fact you will need two of them. Take your time and it will take time as its not easy to remove the surround. The tricky part is you have to drill out the plastic plugs with the center pins. That took me a while to figure out as the shell would not come out. Once this is done you can swap the old surround with the new. Its easier putting the new surround together with the old inner grille as it just clip in. I used small push in clips like on an 80's car to replace the plugs i drilled out. Then put it on the truck starting on the drivers side pushing down the spring clips as i went. Really happy with he color matched surround. Hope his helps. Not as easy as others posted made it sound, but it was just time consuming as it took nearly 2hrs.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,972 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Your truck looks fantastic mmollo!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM
mmollo
Junior User

Originally Posted by olds403
Just changed my surround and installed the ford paint to match one last weekend. First mark your old one while its on the truck as i did not and it took a while to realign everything. Once you get the old one off its heavier than you think. Lay it down and protect the front with towels or something. You will need a thin metal paint putty knife to push the plastic like clips that hold the surround shell to the inner grille. In fact you will need two of them. Take your time and it will take time as its not easy to remove the surround. The tricky part is you have to drill out the plastic plugs with the center pins. That took me a while to figure out as the shell would not come out. Once this is done you can swap the old surround with the new. Its easier putting the new surround together with the old inner grille as it just clip in. I used small push in clips like on an 80's car to replace the plugs i drilled out. Then put it on the truck starting on the drivers side pushing down the spring clips as i went. Really happy with he color matched surround. Hope his helps. Not as easy as others posted made it sound, but it was just time consuming as it took nearly 2hrs.
Thank you for the information. I took the grill off this weekend just to look at the backside of it. I also had a hard time lining it up when I re-installed it because I did not mark the original location of the 4 screws on top. I won't forget that step tomorrow. Putty knife makes sense after taking a look at all those clips. Not sure about the drilling out part of the process. I guess I'll understand that step a little more when I'm actually taking the stock surround off. Thanks again for the insight.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM
mmollo
Junior User

Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Your truck looks fantastic mmollo!
Thanks Savage. Lift, wheels and tires next!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang, those bumpers look nice! Will be interested to see the final product.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 PM
mmollo
Junior User

Originally Posted by 2horses
Dang, those bumpers look nice! Will be interested to see the final product.
Thanks, I think I'm going to paint the bars you sold me red and see how it looks. If it starts getting too red I'll put the chrome ones back on. I'll have a better idea what I'm going to do after the get the red surround on.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
I think you'll like it that way, someone posted a pic a while back of a solid gray truck and it looked awesome. That red surround will be begging for matching bars!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Cold One
Senior User

You cant beat a color matched truck. Looks great !!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i find it ironic for someone to buy a truck with a chrome package to then paint all the chrome the same color of the body...just sayin..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Everyone keeps taking chrome off, and I keep adding more on. Everyone has their own taste.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
mmollo
Junior User

Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
i find it ironic for someone to buy a truck with a chrome package to then paint all the chrome the same color of the body...just sayin..
I do a lot of stuff that's ironic. The deal is after 4 other Super Duty trucks I want to change things up. My last two have been KR versions, at this time I can't stand to see a two tone F250. However for the guy who just picked up his first KR, he can't get enough of it. I took some great pictures of the truck tonight, it looks great IMO. Right now I have the grill sitting on the kitchen table removing the surround. I'm about to PM OLDS403 to figure out what I need to drill out to remove this thing. If you read this please feel free to chime in. I have some more clips to go then I need to pull out the drill.

Quick Reply: Toning down the chrome