Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Senior User

9905 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9905 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how to find boost/exhaust leaks

My first Ford diesel I have not been impressed with my mpg. I have gone through all the normal stuff that I have found in the forums for improving my mpgs and yet nothing has made a huge improvement.

Last week I got a chance to hit some long steep hills while pulling my 9000ish pound trailer. On some of the hills, I was about 15-18 pounds of boost and could hear a phfff, phfff, phfff, phfff sound until off the boost.

To me it sounded like a leak either boost or exhaust but I was suprised that it wasnt a steady sound to.

Where can a 7.3 leak and how do I find the leaks?

My truck has a 4 inch exhaust, 6637 intake, and a dp tune. I was using both the 80 and 60 horse towing tunes just to check them out.

Thanks,

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Postmaster

nlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant futurenlemerise has a brilliant future
Here you go for boost leaks...exhaust leaks will have black soot around the point of the leak.

Support The Semper Fi Fund or America's Fund

Your kids are better off if you blow their college savings in Las Vegas. They'll be just as uneducated, but at least they won't be as indoctrinated. - Neal, retired professor
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Senior User

9905 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9905 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks, just what I wanted, and easy.

2003 7.3 diesel 4x4 Eddie Bauer. Mod V & B code springs, Hellwig rear sway bar, RAS (temparily removed), Isspro pillar gauges, 6637 intake, Magnaflow 4" stainless exhaust, DP F5 tuner, AIH delete, CCV mod, redhead steering gear box, FRx, HPX, WW2.

Hobby or Money Pit?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Postmaster

bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.bulla has a very good reputation on FTE.
Honestly to me the noise your are describing sounds to me like turbo surge. If it is surge it can be very damaging, eventualy leading your turbo to its death! We just need to verify that's what it is to get it resolved. A boost leak isn't normaly heard unless around the up pipes or a boot blown off. Best thing to do is give your boots a once over and verify they are all tight and inspect for soot around the up pipes. Let us know what you find.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulla View Post
Honestly to me the noise your are describing sounds to me like turbo surge. If it is surge it can be very damaging, eventualy leading your turbo to its death! We just need to verify that's what it is to get it resolved. A boost leak isn't normaly heard unless around the up pipes or a boot blown off. Best thing to do is give your boots a once over and verify they are all tight and inspect for soot around the up pipes. Let us know what you find.
Thanks. I was worried about that also. I had previously watched a couple youtube videos of alleged turbo surge, but that isn't exactly the noise I am hearing either.

I will be working on the truck today checking all the intercooler boots, and the the up pipes with an inspection mirror.

2003 7.3 diesel 4x4 Eddie Bauer. Mod V & B code springs, Hellwig rear sway bar, RAS (temparily removed), Isspro pillar gauges, 6637 intake, Magnaflow 4" stainless exhaust, DP F5 tuner, AIH delete, CCV mod, redhead steering gear box, FRx, HPX, WW2.

Hobby or Money Pit?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior User

Thanks for help. I can not find any soot around up pipes. Intercooler boots look good have not been able to build a test plug yet. Now getting worried that it is turbo surge.

I have question about the surge. I boost gauge didnt dance/flutter or move at all during this. Is that normal? I have previously rap the boost gauge when slow driving so it seems a little sticky but if the pressure was fluttering up and down wouldnt the gauge show it.

I dont romp it often diesel is expensive. Should I turn the tuner to stock or u
If under 8 pounds will I be safe daily driving. Stock daily is horrible.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM