Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Postmaster

hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ranger_nog hairyboxnoogle
Aftermarket AC ??'s

Well since i went through all the work to cut a hole for the factory AC box. It looks like its not going to stay. Is anyone familiar with a few of the different varietys of the AC aftermarket? I would like to keep my factory dash controls, as well as maintain use of my dash vents.

I need the giant thing moved to make way for a turbo that rivals its size, and sadly, that is the only spot i can think of to put it.

Only other thing i can think of is going to a later model pickup and using the air box from it as they seem quite a bit smaller that may allow for the room i need, but im not 100% sure. My FF tower is coming out to so that will help. Just looking from some ideas on an AC unit that goes under the dash instead of though it, and some ideas how to use the stock controls.

Thanks guys,

Mike

'92 F-250 XLT
- Supercab, 4x4, ZF, 7.3 ATS 088, D50 SAS-PMF 2.25" RSK / 10.5LS, SD e-fuel, HPC e-fans
Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Post Fiend

ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.
have you thought about the "dealer" air or similar, vs. the factory air?

Here's the threads I have saved from here on AC stuff. Might be something in there you can use.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/82...lled-ac-4.html
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/89...-system-2.html
Aftermarket AC - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums – good info!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...-c-kits-2.html - lots of links & info

and here's a couple cool aftermarket AC units
Under Dash AC Unit - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop

Slim Line Heat/Air Unit - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop
long bed & 1974 Ford F100 Supercab - 2wds
1974 Ford F250 4x4 Crew cab
thread in "motor swap" forum
1989 Ford Ranger= Never gonna be done...
1972 Alfa Romeo GTV & 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4wd = DD
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Postmaster

Thanks man ill take a look at those, as long as its more or less mechanical, i should be able to cobble it together to work with my factory air instuments. Dealer air would kinda work, but im not sure how easy it would be to keep the dash vents. The under dash air box replaces my factory floor/dash/defrost box. If i can find another i might see if i can connect the important part on top of the dealer air box. None of that probably made any sense, but still i appreciate the links.

'92 F-250 XLT
- Supercab, 4x4, ZF, 7.3 ATS 088, D50 SAS-PMF 2.25" RSK / 10.5LS, SD e-fuel, HPC e-fans
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Posting Guru

SuperDuty93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is what i will be going with. They even give me factory style vents

Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles and AC parts
Old 05-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Postmaster

bah dbl post

'92 F-250 XLT
Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Elder User

crsweet78 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Im using Vntage Air. I got rid of my old heater and a/c assembly and put this unit in thats half the size. All servo controlled, no cables, comes with relays and circuit breaker. You can choose whatever control panel you want and probably reuse your old vents.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Postmaster

I like that idea. I suppose that leaves the factory foot heat un-altered? Worst case scenario, i can run the AC to dash vents only, and heat can be defrost/floor like the base models. If its all electric controlled... i should be able to come up with a way to make everything work off of my factory AC switch / blower switch, maybe.. some diods a few headaches and some solder ought to make it happen. Have it all setup so that when the dash is set to AC, it only powers the the AC unit instead of the AC and heat blower.

Or the pics finally loaded... does that air box have both heat and AC in it?

'92 F-250 XLT
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Elder User

crsweet78 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you do something like mine, all your old stuff gets torn out. You install the new unit that is everything combined.The controls you buy for it allow you to run a/c or heat out the floor, vents, or defrost. Dont try to piggy back it onto the old stuff or use the old cable controls, youll end up just making it too difficult. Heres all their controls they sell.
http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg46wc.pdf
Any of them will work with the gen II kit. The base model controls should fit into where the old controls went, and they look about the same.
Vintage air makes great stuff.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Postmaster

K ill take a look at it. I REALLY want to avoid having a AC switch and what not on the bottom of the dash like the dealer air... looks tacky, and i have it in the dash already anyway. Thanks for the help man, sounds hopeful. Im kinda scared to look tho, i might spot the price lol.

'92 F-250 XLT
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Elder User

fordtrucknut is starting off with a positive reputation.
Let us know if the aftermarket one is the way you go...would love to hear how well it cools the cab...I want one for my 78 Crew Cab...but i'm leary of it not being able to cool the whole cab.
1979 F-350 4x4 Dana 60's Front And Rear, 1978 F-250 Supercab 4x4 w/Dana 60's front and rear, 1978 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab Cummins Project, 1978 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab (Might get a 460), 1978 f-250 4X2 Crew Cab with 460 (Runs and Drives), 1976 F-250 Highboy Tow Truck
Way Too Many Trucks to list 34 Total So Far!!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Postmaster

Actually the main reason i have been considering an aftermarket setup compared to stock is fords really werent known for their AC, sure its cold, but i breath more with every breath than my blower motor puts out on my way to work... As much as they cost, and as reputable as they are i figured that aftermarket would compare to a new vehicle, or better. My old boss has Classic Aire in his 61 belaire and it will freeze you out of that thing, and theyre pretty big inside, not to mention the cab is nothing but glass.

'92 F-250 XLT
Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Posting Guru

JB78f150 has a good reputation on FTE.JB78f150 has a good reputation on FTE.JB78f150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Crsweet convinced me to do what he did then I can put a nice navigation stereo in. Thinking its the way to go and doesn't take up that much room. Also want a kit because it comes with everything.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Postmaster

Now that you mention it, a screen would be cool, but i think that might be a little too updated for this old truck, she'll be happy with 4 speakers and a sub im sure. Another thing i thought of and like.. if the aftermarket doesnt use vacuum then i can throw hydroboost on there and get rid of my vacuum pump altogether.

'92 F-250 XLT
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
100, ac, aftermarket, air, conditioning, dash, ford, kits, market, put, ranger, reviews, series, trucks, van