1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Plow Purchase

Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Cold One
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Plow Purchase

Of coarse it snowed here today after I mowed the yard a week ago and it got me back to thinking about a snowplow. I will be using it for customers parking lots some with alot of obstructions. Possibly thinking about a V plow for versitility, but not rulling anything out at this point. What are you guys using and how is it holding up? The truck is a 2011 F-350 6.7L srw 11500 gvw. I am looking at a 8.5 ft plow.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Me and my dad both run Western 8.5 V plows with wings. Love them, very versatile also. big thing about plows are service, I might run a different brand but service is based around western in my area, so you have to be able to get parts when the weather gets bad. Plows hold up on how hard you are on it. Treat your plow well and it will last a long time.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:12 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used Meyers, Western, Fisher, Blizzard and now Boss. By far the boss has been the best imo. I have the 9'2" Vee and LOVE it. I have used it for 3 seasons, residential and commercial and only changed the fluid and it still looks good. Could use a new sticker.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
if you can do it get a V blade I have plowed for 15years 14 with a stright blade did ok last year i got a 9.5 V blade and oh my what a diff cuts my time on site in half. dont care what kind just best deal

Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Cold One
Senior User

Thanks for the replies reps sent. The boss v is looking good. There is alot of fisher and blizzard in my area it is hard to justify the extra cost of the fisher. I have a customer with a western v and it is holding up nicely for being beat by 7 different drivers that shouldnt even have a drivers license! How about the time it takes to hook up, and do you leave the plow frame on all summer?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im running a snow dogg V-blade on my f350. For the price you cant beat it. I love it so far.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
I have had several different plows. 2 Westerns, a Fisher and a Curtiss 9' Pro Plus. My favorite so far has been my 7.5' Western on my 97 F 350. The 9' Curtiss is real nice to hook up, but it just doesn't scrape as nice, probably because its so long. My personal feeling is that unless you are doing huge parking lots like Wal-Mart, get a plow just long enough to cover your wheel base on regular turns. Both of my Westerns are Unimount style, so not sure what they do now for hookup. The Curtiss and Fisher that I have are both drive in, which is nice. The Curtiss has an electric jack that you use to adjust the height, which is nice when it works, but if it has a bad connection, its a pita at 3 a.m. with a suprise snowstorm. Its also very heavy and pulls my front end down on my 02 F350 DRW. Thats my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
with my western ultra mount unplug two cabels and flip 2 latchs and lock the landing gear down and back away from everything you need to go to the western snow plow web site and watch all ther sales vids

Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Plows are a bit like trucks, everyone has their favorites. There are pros and cons to each and much of the decision hinges on the quality of your dealer and your own capabilities and capacities.

If I were in the market, I would wait and see about buying a leftover from a lousy season at a better price.

Whatever you buy, go through the plow with the dealer and be sure you understand how all of it works. Buy spare pins, a solenoid, a couple of hoses, and a quart of fluid. (It gets rather cold and lonely lying in the snow fixing the part that broke......)

Then go to Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor and buy a case of aerosol. (I have heard that FTE is a valid discount code at one of the online stores). Spray everything that moves, or doesn't move. Then pray that your purchase doesn't jinx next season.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Agree on the Fluid Film. Great product.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 AM
2004 Ford F-250 v-10
Junior User
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
I have used Meyers, Western, Fisher, Blizzard and now Boss. By far the boss has been the best imo. I have the 9'2" Vee and LOVE it. I have used it for 3 seasons, residential and commercial and only changed the fluid and it still looks good. Could use a new sticker.

8yrs with my BOSS 9'2" Vee, absolutely no problems, I do store it inside year round, neighbor gives me crap about that but keeping the wires from corroding makes a big difference on these electric hydraulic units, IMO Plus it's free standing, drive into it hook it up takes all of literally 1 minute and maybe 30 seconds to unhook.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I would also opt for the Western because of parts/service. I'd get the Poly plow, that way you have less rust to deal with in the future.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like someone said everyone has their favorites. Of all I would stay away from Blizzard. The rule of thumb with Blizzard is they are GREAT plows, built to last, but you need a backup. I sold my Blizzard after 1 1/2 seasons. It looked like it was 10 years old!! Go here http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 and do some research if you want a Blizzard. There is a guy in Ohio or Minnesota his name is Jerre, he takes a stock Blizzard and does his magic to make it into the plow it should be from the factory. The problem is it costs money and time to convert them.

I would consider getting the plow that the closest dealer sells. You don't want to be driving across state in a snow storm to get a part because you saved a few bucks.

Consider this....more than likely they all have the same inners, valves, pumps, hoses. Fluid is fluid. Someone will tell you their fluid is better than xxx. Nonsense, I have used all fluids over 21 years and even ATF fluid w/o any problems.

Mounting these new plows are a breeze.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
pbeering
Elder User
Originally Posted by rjfetz1
Like someone said everyone has their favorites. Of all I would stay away from Blizzard. The rule of thumb with Blizzard is they are GREAT plows, built to last, but you need a backup. I sold my Blizzard after 1 1/2 seasons. It looked like it was 10 years old!! Go here http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 and do some research if you want a Blizzard. There is a guy in Ohio or Minnesota his name is Jerre, he takes a stock Blizzard and does his magic to make it into the plow it should be from the factory. The problem is it costs money and time to convert them.

I would consider getting the plow that the closest dealer sells. You don't want to be driving across state in a snow storm to get a part because you saved a few bucks.

Consider this....more than likely they all have the same inners, valves, pumps, hoses. Fluid is fluid. Someone will tell you their fluid is better than xxx. Nonsense, I have used all fluids over 21 years and even ATF fluid w/o any problems.

Mounting these new plows are a breeze.
All the new plows are powder coated these days due to EPA regulations on VOC, which is likely why your blizzard looked less pretty. fluid Film and touch up paint help.

Part of the decision driver here is the application, OP listed parking lots which makes the Blizzard line strong contenders. (I have 5 all modified by Jerre in Erie, PA) See Welcome to Jerre's Service - Your #1 Choice for Blizzard Plow Accessories, and Upgrades. We service all brands of plows..

But you can plow snow with a piece of plywood. There are many options, many choices, some more expensive than others - just like the truck that pushes it.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Cold One
Senior User

Thanks for all the post guys it is apreciated!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snow Plow Purchase