1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

D60 Swap for my 86 F250HD Cummins 12V

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:13 PM
63nova86F250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D60 Swap for my 86 F250HD Cummins 12V

Well I got the D60 bug after I did my Cummins swap and started searching for an F350 donor. After a few weeks I came across another 86, but an F350 a couple hundred miles upstate. The PO stated that it needed a clutch and an exhaust gasket. I was really hoping to find a driver because I plan on swapping the front suspensions straight across and reselling the donor with my D50 on it. I drove up to get the truck, trailer in tow behind the Fummins. First story, I got 19.23 mpg dragging the 1600# tandem axle the 250 miles up the road with the Fummins!!
Anyway, I got up there and the truck wouldn't start (supposedly dead battery), so I was a little concerned that my resell could be compromised. Since I had struck a deal at $1350 for the entire CCLB truck, I figured I couldn't go too wrong with the axles running $1200 alone! I got it home, but had to wait until today to start messing with it. I put a different battery in and it wouldn't crank over, nothing. So I bypassed the ignition and jumped across the solenoid with my starter button and she fired right up!! The PO had stated that he was backing up one day and then all of a sudden he "had no gears". First thought, check the t-case. I'm not sure if he had neutral, but it certainly wasn't in 2H!!!! So, shifted the t-case through the full range and made sure it went back in 2H and voila, it moved! Backed it off the trailer and took her for a spin up the back road! Clutch is stiff but it shifts fine!
Hopefully I will be able to swap the D60 into my truck this coming week! For now...

The recipient, 1986 F250HD SCLB Lariat 4x4 Cummins 12V:

The underhood has been cleaned up since this first pic, just don't have any more recent ones.

The donor:

I know the D60 swap has been detailed before, but I wanted to do my own build thread, so I'll be posting up pics as I go.

Thanks for suffering through my LONG intro!
Brian

Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to ask, how did you fit the intercooler behind the grille? Any trimming? A/C still functional?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
63nova86F250
Junior User
You noticed that... That was the item I was told I wasn't going to be able to do. First I trimmed the stock core support openings that are on either side of the radiator, so that the intercooler could sit absolutely as deep as possible. Then yes, I did have to trim the grille shell slightly. All I had to do was trim the lower openings in the grille forward to the stock step in the plastic "casting". So, unless you look close and know what to look for, you probably wouldn't notice it.

The only things not replaced in the front are the lower grille cross bar and the bumper filler panel because I have to trim those still and I've been lazy and too chicken!

The AC condensor is in there as well, sandwiched between the intercooler and the radiator. The fittings just barely clear the radiator brackets on the stock Cummins radiator, but they clear. Things weren't in their final position for these photos.

I did have the loosen the lower tubing bracket on the passenger side and very gently and slowly massage it back, as it protrudes slightly beyond the metal of the core support, which allowed the intercooler to then sit flush. The AC is not functional yet, simply because I have not got my "high mount" bracket yet that came on the 650/750 with the 5.9's. I don't want to run the compressor over the VE and I don't want to cut my crossmember. From everything I've read, the F650/750 5.9 bracket should solve this for me. That is a project still to come in the not too distant future as well. We hit 105* a few times a summer here, so AC is a must!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I noticed the pipes running forward, and have done a swap in a 92. I used to be part of a now defunct Cummins swap site, and that was an issue that was noticed. I took measurements for one of the members on my 86. The 92 was almost like they intended for it to go there. I don't have a/c working on it for similar reason, plus lack of time.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM
63nova86F250
Junior User
I actually felt like it was intended to go there on my 86. As mentioned, all I did was enlarge the holes that were already there, ever so slightly. An '87-up with the different grille design would be a piece of cake!!

I've tracked down the part numbers for the high mount pieces and will be checking with Cummins Northwest a few minutes away from me, once the D60 stuff is done.

Once I resell the donor, I will have covered the truck, got my D60 and have enough free change to finish up the AC!

Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 AM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever do a build thread on the Cummins swap? How did you handle the gauges?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 AM
63nova86F250
Junior User
I started one over here, but it never collected much following. I have a build thread over on cumminsforum.com that I can post a link to that has about 11 pages of the process posted on it. The gauges are easy, with exception to the tach which I am still working on. There are ports on the cummins that all you have to do is get the appropriate pipe bushing for and you can plug the ford sensors right in.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 AM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
The gauges sound easier than I was expecting. Yea, love to see the build thread if you don't mind posting the link.
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM
63nova86F250
Junior User
Here's the build thread on cumminsforum:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...onversion.html

Yeah, the only thing that takes some special hardware is the tach setup. That I will end up buying to save some hassle. And as long as you keep your wiring straight the voltmeter will read just fine. Then all you need is a few bushing you can get from Napa for a couple bucks.
As for mileage, I'm getting about 18-19 on combined city/hwy, with a larger portion city. I got 19.23 headed north with just the 1600# tandem axle trailer to get the CC. There are several passes between here and there, so it was pretty good. The only loaded trip I took was over the same passes and then over to the sand dunes. With 9'4" Lance camper and quad trailer weighing in at about 1800# loaded I got 13.25mpg and I didn't back down from any hill. I used to get 7.6 loaded identical with the 460 on the same trip.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Hooking the gauges up was easy, like mentioned. It is no different than any other motor in that respect. I haven't dealt with the tach either, as it was routed through the computer, which I did not transfer. I still have the tack pickup, but nothing else attached to it until I take time to research my options, if I ever worry about it. It is actually my sister's truck that I put together for her, so that kind of thing doesn't matter to her. It is quite a testament to the durability of the motor in that it has survived her and her husband for several years. Maintenance, hardly. They run everything into the ground.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM
63nova86F250
Junior User
Yeah, my Cummins donor didn't have a tach or a provision for it to speak of as far as I can tell. So I'm going to have to get the mount and pickup with my kit. I absolutely have no need for the tach from a drivability standpoint, as I drive it based off what I hear and feel. But, working hard to keep the truck nice, it just bugs me having the tach just sit there; it's like it's incomplete.
I wholeheartedly agree about the durability. On the way up to get the CC my dad and I were talking. He has a 2006 6.0 that he hauls a 13,000# trailer on a 1k mile trip a half dozen times a year and it runs great and he hasn't had any of the supposed 6.0 problems. With that said, he works it hard, but smart. The cummins is incredibly durable as you said. A 6.0 will work just as hard and reliably, but the cummins will work that hard and you don't have to have a brain in your head. At least that's the way I see it.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I crammed an intercooler into my 96 F 250. It works great,but, I think it slowed the flow of the air moving across the condensor. The Ac in my truck used to freeze you out on the hottest days of summer. Now it wont. I have looked for leaks and other problems with the AC. However, I cant find a problem just not as cold now.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bruno2
I crammed an intercooler into my 96 F 250. It works great,but, I think it slowed the flow of the air moving across the condensor. The Ac in my truck used to freeze you out on the hottest days of summer. Now it wont. I have looked for leaks and other problems with the AC. However, I cant find a problem just not as cold now.

Have you thought about mounting the condenser in front of the intercooler? Don't even know if it's possible but would be worth a try. I figure that's what I'm going to try and do when, if, I do my F150.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 63nova86F250
Here's the build thread on cumminsforum:
1986 F250HD SCLB 4x4 / 91.5 6BT Conversion - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Yeah, the only thing that takes some special hardware is the tach setup. That I will end up buying to save some hassle. And as long as you keep your wiring straight the voltmeter will read just fine. Then all you need is a few bushing you can get from Napa for a couple bucks.
As for mileage, I'm getting about 18-19 on combined city/hwy, with a larger portion city. I got 19.23 headed north with just the 1600# tandem axle trailer to get the CC. There are several passes between here and there, so it was pretty good. The only loaded trip I took was over the same passes and then over to the sand dunes. With 9'4" Lance camper and quad trailer weighing in at about 1800# loaded I got 13.25mpg and I didn't back down from any hill. I used to get 7.6 loaded identical with the 460 on the same trip.
Thanks for the link 63nova86F250, I'll check that out.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Have you thought about mounting the condenser in front of the intercooler? Don't even know if it's possible but would be worth a try. I figure that's what I'm going to try and do when, if, I do my F150.
That is how Dodge does it. I still have the condenser attached to the intercooler, the trick will be to be able to mate the two systems together. Might even be such that the Ford condenser could be made to mount to the Dodge intercooler.

Quick Reply: D60 Swap for my 86 F250HD Cummins 12V