2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Recall for possible contanimation of the contacts of the cooling fans on 2012 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall for possible contanimation of the contacts of the cooling fans on 2012 Explorer

Today I recieved a recall notice for possible contanimation of the contacts of the fans. Anyone else? I will be out of town on a four day trip, and will not be able to have this checked until I get back. Is it safe to drive? Hopefully.........

Old 04-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Green69
New User
Recall letter

I also got the letter in the mail and called for an appointment. I was told it was a program update they would do? I was surprised at that. Will let you know Weds.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Had mine in yesterday for the recall. Took about a hour with a oil change. They said the A/C may not work if you don't get it looked at.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off -It is not a recall, it is a Program.Customer Satisfaction Program to be exact.Ford has had programs around for at least 30 years or more-most are not public known and until the internet- unless you did alot of homework OR knew someone at a dealership most people did not benifit from them. I worked for a Ford dealership in the service dept from early 1977 to Nov. 2010 and it was up to each dealership or their rep to allow usage of a program, sometimes the customer payed for a repair that a program would have covered BUT today the internet alerts the public to TSBs ,Programs & SSMs . Anyways got my program letter on my 12 Explorer but already knew about cooling fans problems about two months ago.Cooling fans that are inop will overheat engine at idle or slow speeds and no airflow through ac condensor will over pressure rise freon and high pressure switch will cut power to ac compressor thus no AC-Me I would be more worried about engine overheating but Ford has a failsafe mode installed into pcm to help save engine. Regards Blue

Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM
FORDSVTPARTS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Trublufords
First off -It is not a recall, it is a Program.Customer Satisfaction Program to be exact.Ford has had programs around for at least 30 years or more-most are not public known and until the internet- unless you did alot of homework OR knew someone at a dealership most people did not benifit from them. I worked for a Ford dealership in the service dept from early 1977 to Nov. 2010 and it was up to each dealership or their rep to allow usage of a program, sometimes the customer payed for a repair that a program would have covered BUT today the internet alerts the public to TSBs ,Programs & SSMs . Anyways got my program letter on my 12 Explorer but already knew about cooling fans problems about two months ago.Cooling fans that are inop will overheat engine at idle or slow speeds and no airflow through ac condensor will over pressure rise freon and high pressure switch will cut power to ac compressor thus no AC-Me I would be more worried about engine overheating but Ford has a failsafe mode installed into pcm to help save engine. Regards Blue
The OASIS sytem which has been in place for years pretty much took care of people paying for things that were covered under TSBs and recalls since it pretty much takes the "paying attention" factor of the service advisor out of the equation.

Since OASIS has been in place every car that comes in has the VIN run for TSBs and open recalls so the only way anyone paid for work that was covered under one of these programs would be if they were dealing wiht a dishonest dealership.

To be sure people pay for TSB and recall work to this day but that's because they ignore recall notices and never take the car to a dealership for any repairs so no one ever gets the chance to check for open TSBs or recalls.

When service garages call on items I know are covered I always let them know that it's possible that their customer may be eligible to have the repair done for free by a dealership and that they may be entitled to reimbursement if they already paid for the repair out of pocket.

The internet has become a fantastic resource without doubt

Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let it be known that TSBs are ONLY covered if the vehicle is still under factory warranty AND Recalls are safety related with NO ending date UNLIKE programs. It would be very unlikely with todays internet and Fords Oasis setup that a SSM-TSB- RECALL-or PROGRAM would be not taken care of at a Ford dealership! In my previous post I was refering to the 1970s & 80s that alot of programs were hidden.Today even dealerships that have vehicles out of factory warranty CAN cover TSBs,SSMs if they want to, unless that has changed ,they can PO5 it. Blue

Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
BigBadBob
Junior User
Did this affect all 2012 Explorers? I haven't received a letter yet. Good thing is, my Explorer only has 5800 miles.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:56 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I think it does affect all 2012. Took mine in for a Touch problem and they did the recall then. Does not take very long. I would check with your dealer just to be sure.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Green69
New User
Recall letter for cooling fan contacts

I took my 2012 in about 6 weeks ago, did not take long and was told they did a program update. They also inspect the contacts to see if they are burned. Takes longer if contacts need replacing.
Understand Ford refers to this as the "Southfield incident", back in late March/ early April when we had the 85/90 degree weather a number of Ford emp's vehicles all shut down after leaving work along the Southfield freeway in Detroit. This brought it to their attention. I was told 5 or 6 emp. Explorers were all pulled off the road in a couple mile area!
Interesting and have no reason to doubt the source.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Jam3z
Junior User
Took my 12 Explorer in for the inspection. No problem found but they do reprogram when the fans operate. After the reprogramming, MFT was messed up. No caller ID on the Phone connection and no option to answer an incomming call. I had to use my phone instead of it going through the SYNC system. It got better a few days later all by itself but still was not always working right. I followed the service manager's suggestion and did a master reset before bringing it in for repair. The master reset fixed everything and MFT has been working better than ever since then. After the reset I did have to reconnect my phone but everything else was saved. Radio presets, temperature setting and everything else was not affected.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Green69
New User
Master reset?

Interested in how you perform the master reset ? Is this the battery disconnect
I have read about or is there another easier procedure?

Thanks for your help,

Old 06-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Jam3z
Junior User
A master reset is a software reset to go back to the factory defaults. Leave everything connected. It does seem to retain all your radio and Sirrius presets and your My Temp is retained. The only thing that I lost was the phone connection, as I mentioned in the previous post. I do not have the Nav package so I don't know about how that might be affected.
On the MFT screen you touch the Settings button, the wheels at the center bottom of the home screen. On the next screen you have several options on the left side and you touch the Settings option there. That takes you to another screen that lists a lot of things. You need to touch the scroll down arrow on the right to get to the bottom of the list. The last item is Master Reset. I did not want to touch it again when I checked this proceedure out. But, as I remember there are a couple of warnings. Just go ahead and press through them and you will see the system rebooting after several seconds. That's it. You then recopnnect your phone and you should be good to go. This is the best I have ever seen MFT working including after the big update that they mailed everybody was installed. If things get flaky again, I plan to reset it before I go screaming to my dealer again. We've known each other for about 15 years and they hate not fixing a problem as much as I hate it not being fixed. They are going to pass on my suggestion about the master reset to other customers with similar complaints. (I live in a small town and we only have a Ford and a Chevy dealer here. That explains why we are on good terms and friends.) I hope this tells you what you wanted.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Green69
New User
Master Reset procedure:

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain how to do this! I certainly appreciate the information. Thankfully since the updated program was sent out and installed several months back, things have been great... But this is good info. To help yourself when or if the situation arrives.
Thanks for replying.