Sponsored by: Moser

Limited slip or electronic locking???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Limited slip or electronic locking???

I was wondering what would be the best choice to go with...what are the differences between the two? Why would you chose one over the other? As far as I know they both do basically the same thing yet the limited slip is more expensive.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited slip is great for on-road traction, like wet roads, possibly snow, etc.
A locking diff is better for hard core offroading, getting through a mud hole, etc.
One reason (if I remember correctly) for the higher price of the limited slip axle is that it automatically adds the HD payload package.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
I was watching these videos of the One Wheel Spin Control on the 2011 F150. I wonder if the Elocker would be the best of both worlds. I guess this is done with the traction control.

Spin Control pt 1.mp4 - YouTube

Spin Control pt 2.mp4 - YouTube

Old 04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
My EL works similar to a LS when I am on dirt going in a straight line, just like it works in the video. But when I'm on tar driving in a spirited manner I always get the one wheel peel. Anyone want to trade their LS for an EL?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
My EL works similar to a LS when I am on dirt going in a straight line, just like it works in the video. But when I'm on tar driving in a spirited manner I always get the one wheel peel. Anyone want to trade their LS for an EL?
correct me if i'm wrong ... but i think the 11's require you to be in 4wd to use the EL. That would explain why you get the 1-wheel peel when on asphalt. I think they fixed this for 12, where you can use the EL in 2wd.

I think the EL also disengages when the wheels are turned sharp. I think ford is a little afraid of breaking thier EL diff's, so they are severely limiting thier true capabilities.

Kinda surprised that the TC doesn't shut you down before you get any real wheel spin. Even with the TC shut off, the 1 wheel spin control should kick in and try to stop the spinning wheel.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 AM
rossn2
Freshman User
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.. EL on modern vehicles engage when you press slightly on the Emergency Brake. That is how I had engage the EL on a Ram Dodge 4x4 2500 series truck. Even stated it in the owner's manual.

Traction Control has nothing to do with spinning a wheel from a dead stop. TC applies equal distribution to rear wheels if one starts slipping when you're already going down the road. Believe TC was put into vehicles due to people having Cruise COntrol on in the rain. One wheel starts to slip, the CC thinks the vehicle is slowing and increase engine rpms, throwing the car into an uncontrollable skid, causing accidents.

I always get Limited Slip rear ends on my 4x4's. Both rear wheels driving from the get go and have never gotten stuck yet..even in south texas wet caliche.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
Limited slip is great for on-road traction, like wet roads, possibly snow, etc.
A locking diff is better for hard core offroading, getting through a mud hole, etc.
One reason (if I remember correctly) for the higher price of the limited slip axle is that it automatically adds the HD payload package.

This applies if your getting an XLT or Lariat truck. The 3.73 LSD is still offered on the STX trucks for $400.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
This applies if your getting an XLT or Lariat truck. The 3.73 LSD is still offered on the STX trucks for $400.
Oh. I didn't know that. Interesting, thanks Tim! I thought the had gotten away with the true LS - except for HD payload.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by rossn2
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.. EL on modern vehicles engage when you press slightly on the Emergency Brake. That is how I had engage the EL on a Ram Dodge 4x4 2500 series truck. Even stated it in the owner's manual.

Traction Control has nothing to do with spinning a wheel from a dead stop. TC applies equal distribution to rear wheels if one starts slipping when you're already going down the road. Believe TC was put into vehicles due to people having Cruise COntrol on in the rain. One wheel starts to slip, the CC thinks the vehicle is slowing and increase engine rpms, throwing the car into an uncontrollable skid, causing accidents.

I always get Limited Slip rear ends on my 4x4's. Both rear wheels driving from the get go and have never gotten stuck yet..even in south texas wet caliche.
you should read your owner's manual.

very little of what you said about the TC system is accurate. Same with the EL.

The new TC sytems and strategies are very different from the vehicles of the past.

comparing Ford's EL with Dodge's is bad karma. ford gave us a switch on the dash, dodge was just being lazy by making you click the e-brake.

not trying to pick a fight, just saying ... read the manual.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by flixden
Oh. I didn't know that. Interesting, thanks Tim! I thought the had gotten away with the true LS - except for HD payload.
Personally, I think it's a pretty crappy deal. The LSD should be available throughout the product line. Ford has made some very unpopular decisions in the F-150 segment.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tseekins
I had not given it much thought when building the truck online...I always thought having the EL would be the way to go since it basically makes it a true posi so to speak. I think it is cool that it automatically disengages and reengages according to speed.

I will be hauling a boat and maybe later getting a TT...so I am trying to find out what the best option would be.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
correct me if i'm wrong ... but i think the 11's require you to be in 4wd to use the EL. That would explain why you get the 1-wheel peel when on asphalt. I think they fixed this for 12, where you can use the EL in 2wd.

I think the EL also disengages when the wheels are turned sharp. I think ford is a little afraid of breaking thier EL diff's, so they are severely limiting thier true capabilities.

Kinda surprised that the TC doesn't shut you down before you get any real wheel spin. Even with the TC shut off, the 1 wheel spin control should kick in and try to stop the spinning wheel.
Yes that is how the EL works. But I was referring to how the Electronic Spin Control works in the same conditions shown in the video on dirt driving in a straght line. If you watch the video the spin control acts similar to a LS without using the EL. I've tried that same experiment on dirt and mine works similar to a LS too.
But every time I've lost traction (driving spiritedly) on pavement the spin control doesn't act like a LS. It acts like a regular open differential.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
locomanalex
New User
Check out this video on YouTube:

Eaton Locking Differential Demonstration - YouTube

Locking Differential - YouTube

my understanding is that a elocker is control by sensors and computer that lock/unlock the diff so that it is like the best of two worlds, an open diff when driving in tight spots and sharp turns and a lock diff when traction is needed on straight lines...not as good as a Detroit locker if you are a hard core off roader

Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Those are some great videos! Especially the first one simulating a launch ramp. IS this the type of EL on the F150? I thought when you engage the EL by pulling out the **** it is locked immediately not when it senses slipping? BTW that rear tire on the last video looked like it was going to break off! Just by watching these videos I think the EL is the way to go. Thanks! Reps sent.

Originally Posted by locomanalex
Check out this video on YouTube:

Eaton Locking Differential Demonstration - YouTube

Locking Differential - YouTube

my understanding is that a elocker is control by sensors and computer that lock/unlock the diff so that it is like the best of two worlds, an open diff when driving in tight spots and sharp turns and a lock diff when traction is needed on straight lines...not as good as a Detroit locker if you are a hard core off roader

Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
If you are thinking about a travel trailer - think about max tow, or even HD payload as without these options the payload limit is reached very quickly with anything significant on the hitch.

Since HD payload is only available with the LS axle makes one think that the LS axle somehow has a higher load capacity.
I can imagine LS being nice also when backing a TT up a hill on gravel, for example, or grass on a campground where you don't necessarily want to lock it or be in 4 wheel drive (usually sharp turns with some of the wheels still on pavement, etc. Seen some tricky situations in the past.).

Quick Reply: Limited slip or electronic locking???