Limited slip or electronic locking??? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
 

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Log In 


2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Limited slip or electronic locking???

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 PM
PrinceValium's Avatar
PrinceValium PrinceValium is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,677
PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
Limited slip or electronic locking???

I was wondering what would be the best choice to go with...what are the differences between the two? Why would you chose one over the other? As far as I know they both do basically the same thing yet the limited slip is more expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 PM
flixden flixden is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,087
flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.
Limited slip is great for on-road traction, like wet roads, possibly snow, etc.
A locking diff is better for hard core offroading, getting through a mud hole, etc.
One reason (if I remember correctly) for the higher price of the limited slip axle is that it automatically adds the HD payload package.
__________________
2012 XLT, EB, 157" WB, screw, 4x4, HD payload, max tow, Sterling Gray.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
PrinceValium's Avatar
PrinceValium PrinceValium is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,677
PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
I was watching these videos of the One Wheel Spin Control on the 2011 F150. I wonder if the Elocker would be the best of both worlds. I guess this is done with the traction control.

Spin Control pt 1.mp4 - YouTube

Spin Control pt 2.mp4 - YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
NASSTY's Avatar
NASSTY NASSTY is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ME
Posts: 2,078
NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.
My EL works similar to a LS when I am on dirt going in a straight line, just like it works in the video. But when I'm on tar driving in a spirited manner I always get the one wheel peel. Anyone want to trade their LS for an EL?
__________________
2014 F150

92 Bronco
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 PM
meborder's Avatar
meborder meborder is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sioux Falls Area
Posts: 3,948
meborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASSTY View Post
My EL works similar to a LS when I am on dirt going in a straight line, just like it works in the video. But when I'm on tar driving in a spirited manner I always get the one wheel peel. Anyone want to trade their LS for an EL?
correct me if i'm wrong ... but i think the 11's require you to be in 4wd to use the EL. That would explain why you get the 1-wheel peel when on asphalt. I think they fixed this for 12, where you can use the EL in 2wd.

I think the EL also disengages when the wheels are turned sharp. I think ford is a little afraid of breaking thier EL diff's, so they are severely limiting thier true capabilities.

Kinda surprised that the TC doesn't shut you down before you get any real wheel spin. Even with the TC shut off, the 1 wheel spin control should kick in and try to stop the spinning wheel.
__________________
Mike
2004 F250 SD SCREW; V10, 4R100, 3.73's -- 2006 Expedition XLT; 5.4 V8, 4R75 3.73's -- 1979 F350 Trailer Special; 460, C6, 4.10's
Moderation Guidelines and how they are enforced
COOL is playing pool with your friends. NOT COOL is playing pocket pool with your friends!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 AM
rossn2's Avatar
rossn2 rossn2 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft Hood, TX area
Posts: 37
rossn2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.. EL on modern vehicles engage when you press slightly on the Emergency Brake. That is how I had engage the EL on a Ram Dodge 4x4 2500 series truck. Even stated it in the owner's manual.

Traction Control has nothing to do with spinning a wheel from a dead stop. TC applies equal distribution to rear wheels if one starts slipping when you're already going down the road. Believe TC was put into vehicles due to people having Cruise COntrol on in the rain. One wheel starts to slip, the CC thinks the vehicle is slowing and increase engine rpms, throwing the car into an uncontrollable skid, causing accidents.

I always get Limited Slip rear ends on my 4x4's. Both rear wheels driving from the get go and have never gotten stuck yet..even in south texas wet caliche.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM
tseekins's Avatar
tseekins tseekins is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 24,708
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by flixden View Post
Limited slip is great for on-road traction, like wet roads, possibly snow, etc.
A locking diff is better for hard core offroading, getting through a mud hole, etc.
One reason (if I remember correctly) for the higher price of the limited slip axle is that it automatically adds the HD payload package.

This applies if your getting an XLT or Lariat truck. The 3.73 LSD is still offered on the STX trucks for $400.
__________________
Tim
SCPO United States Coast Guard Retired
2011 F-150 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost
2010 Ford Focus: Retitled to 2LT Sarah Seekins
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 AM
flixden flixden is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,087
flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
This applies if your getting an XLT or Lariat truck. The 3.73 LSD is still offered on the STX trucks for $400.
Oh. I didn't know that. Interesting, thanks Tim! I thought the had gotten away with the true LS - except for HD payload.
__________________
2012 XLT, EB, 157" WB, screw, 4x4, HD payload, max tow, Sterling Gray.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
meborder's Avatar
meborder meborder is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sioux Falls Area
Posts: 3,948
meborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant futuremeborder has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossn2 View Post
Someone please correct me if I am wrong here.. EL on modern vehicles engage when you press slightly on the Emergency Brake. That is how I had engage the EL on a Ram Dodge 4x4 2500 series truck. Even stated it in the owner's manual.

Traction Control has nothing to do with spinning a wheel from a dead stop. TC applies equal distribution to rear wheels if one starts slipping when you're already going down the road. Believe TC was put into vehicles due to people having Cruise COntrol on in the rain. One wheel starts to slip, the CC thinks the vehicle is slowing and increase engine rpms, throwing the car into an uncontrollable skid, causing accidents.

I always get Limited Slip rear ends on my 4x4's. Both rear wheels driving from the get go and have never gotten stuck yet..even in south texas wet caliche.
you should read your owner's manual.

very little of what you said about the TC system is accurate. Same with the EL.

The new TC sytems and strategies are very different from the vehicles of the past.

comparing Ford's EL with Dodge's is bad karma. ford gave us a switch on the dash, dodge was just being lazy by making you click the e-brake.

not trying to pick a fight, just saying ... read the manual.
__________________
Mike
2004 F250 SD SCREW; V10, 4R100, 3.73's -- 2006 Expedition XLT; 5.4 V8, 4R75 3.73's -- 1979 F350 Trailer Special; 460, C6, 4.10's
Moderation Guidelines and how they are enforced
COOL is playing pool with your friends. NOT COOL is playing pocket pool with your friends!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2012, 10:40 AM
tseekins's Avatar
tseekins tseekins is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 24,708
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by flixden View Post
Oh. I didn't know that. Interesting, thanks Tim! I thought the had gotten away with the true LS - except for HD payload.
Personally, I think it's a pretty crappy deal. The LSD should be available throughout the product line. Ford has made some very unpopular decisions in the F-150 segment.
__________________
Tim
SCPO United States Coast Guard Retired
2011 F-150 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost
2010 Ford Focus: Retitled to 2LT Sarah Seekins
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM
PrinceValium's Avatar
PrinceValium PrinceValium is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,677
PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
This applies if your getting an XLT or Lariat truck. The 3.73 LSD is still offered on the STX trucks for $400.
I had not given it much thought when building the truck online...I always thought having the EL would be the way to go since it basically makes it a true posi so to speak. I think it is cool that it automatically disengages and reengages according to speed.

I will be hauling a boat and maybe later getting a TT...so I am trying to find out what the best option would be.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 AM
NASSTY's Avatar
NASSTY NASSTY is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ME
Posts: 2,078
NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meborder View Post
correct me if i'm wrong ... but i think the 11's require you to be in 4wd to use the EL. That would explain why you get the 1-wheel peel when on asphalt. I think they fixed this for 12, where you can use the EL in 2wd.

I think the EL also disengages when the wheels are turned sharp. I think ford is a little afraid of breaking thier EL diff's, so they are severely limiting thier true capabilities.

Kinda surprised that the TC doesn't shut you down before you get any real wheel spin. Even with the TC shut off, the 1 wheel spin control should kick in and try to stop the spinning wheel.
Yes that is how the EL works. But I was referring to how the Electronic Spin Control works in the same conditions shown in the video on dirt driving in a straght line. If you watch the video the spin control acts similar to a LS without using the EL. I've tried that same experiment on dirt and mine works similar to a LS too.
But every time I've lost traction (driving spiritedly) on pavement the spin control doesn't act like a LS. It acts like a regular open differential.
__________________
2014 F150

92 Bronco
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM
locomanalex locomanalex is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16
locomanalex is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check out this video on YouTube:

Eaton Locking Differential Demonstration - YouTube


Locking Differential - YouTube

my understanding is that a elocker is control by sensors and computer that lock/unlock the diff so that it is like the best of two worlds, an open diff when driving in tight spots and sharp turns and a lock diff when traction is needed on straight lines...not as good as a Detroit locker if you are a hard core off roader
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 AM
PrinceValium's Avatar
PrinceValium PrinceValium is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,677
PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
Those are some great videos! Especially the first one simulating a launch ramp. IS this the type of EL on the F150? I thought when you engage the EL by pulling out the **** it is locked immediately not when it senses slipping? BTW that rear tire on the last video looked like it was going to break off! Just by watching these videos I think the EL is the way to go. Thanks! Reps sent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by locomanalex View Post
Check out this video on YouTube:

Eaton Locking Differential Demonstration - YouTube


Locking Differential - YouTube

my understanding is that a elocker is control by sensors and computer that lock/unlock the diff so that it is like the best of two worlds, an open diff when driving in tight spots and sharp turns and a lock diff when traction is needed on straight lines...not as good as a Detroit locker if you are a hard core off roader
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM
flixden flixden is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,087
flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.
If you are thinking about a travel trailer - think about max tow, or even HD payload as without these options the payload limit is reached very quickly with anything significant on the hitch.

Since HD payload is only available with the LS axle makes one think that the LS axle somehow has a higher load capacity.
I can imagine LS being nice also when backing a TT up a hill on gravel, for example, or grass on a campground where you don't necessarily want to lock it or be in 4 wheel drive (usually sharp turns with some of the wheels still on pavement, etc. Seen some tricky situations in the past.).
__________________
2012 XLT, EB, 157" WB, screw, 4x4, HD payload, max tow, Sterling Gray.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
limited slip bluenova 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 6 03-01-2015 03:53 PM
lockers,limited slip, open? brandon_1 Offroad & 4x4 14 08-17-2010 09:23 PM
limited slip Shovelhead 93 2004 - 2008 F150 16 01-13-2010 10:53 PM
Limited Slip Diff fors43 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco 18 01-12-2003 02:11 AM
Limited Slip vs. non-limited slip Vaccuum 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 5 09-28-2001 05:28 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150

Tags
2012, 4x4, axcel, control, differential, electronic, f150, f350, ford, good, limited, locking, slip, traction, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

 

Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup