Aussie newb

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 AM
AshCook
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie newb

Hi All!

First off, sorry if I've posted in the wrong section or have done anything incorrectly at all. I've just brought my first F-truck and also have only just stumbled across this forum. There seems to be a good flow of other Aussies on here so I thought I'd join up.

This week I got myself a 1990 F150 XLT 4x4. It's in not too bad overall condition, needs a few mechanical things done which I can do and some paint down the track. My plans for it are to be a work truck for myself so I don't want a show car.

I've just brought a CD version of a workshop manual, hopefully have it early next week as I have some wiring issues to resolve. It's not running on petrol at the moment, only LPG, but before I start pulling it to pieces I thought I'd read the wiring schematics first to know what I'm looking for.

Big question though, just how different are our Aussie versions to the US versions? I haven't been able to find much info on anything much at all while Googling around. I've got a couple of Mustangs for which I easily find info from the US for them. But am struggling to do so with this.
I've had a look and our 1990 body looks the same as the US 1990 body. But our 1990 interior looks like the US 1986 interior. Except the wheel is on the wrong side over there of course but the dash cluster looks like the 86 version. If this is indeed correct, just how much other stuff have our good old Aussie Ford gurus mixed up in our versions?

Cheers!

Ash

Old 04-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Welcome ash,seen the CL is MIA,probally drunk in a park somewhere i'll do his job for him.

Im not sure about your model,but no doubt you will find the answers you seek here,
or maybe here 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Good luck..
Bryan.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
AshCook
Junior User
Cheers Bryan!

I've had a look around the site, and in the link you provided, I'm amazed at how much info is here. WOW!!

I didn't have any luck though with any cross references between our Aussie model and the US version. I punched a few options into the search function but nothing quite yet. Wont stop looking though.

Cheers

Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome Aboard. Glad to have another from down under. And from me in Alaska that would be whey down under

Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 PM
AshCook
Junior User
Cheers Arctic

I think I'm a little more then down under, I'm pretty much upside down to where you are standing!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya. We are about as far apart as possible. I love your Utes. The early ones most and any make.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Alaska is one place i wunna check out,but might do it in the summer,i hate ice,snow and the fekkin cold..

Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Howdy Ash.
Sorry I took so long its just a long walk home from the park. Welcome to FTE m8, you wont find a better bunch of guys and girls. (except Bryan) .
Have you had a look here
Australian Ford Forums
Dont think the boys from the States would be up to speed on the models we get. Although if I was after a wiring schematic the link Bryan gave you would be the first place I would start.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 AM
AshCook
Junior User
Like most Aussie blokes, I've had my fair share of utes. Both 6's and V8's but nothing beats a V8 ute! I have only recently sold my last V8 ute to find my way into the F-truck. As cool as my ute was, it wasn't towing as I wanted it to and I needed more then 2 seats. But I have no doubt there will be more utes in my driveway down the track.

The wife and I would love to hit up Alaska and Canada. Even in the summer I'm sure it is still cooler then here in the winter. It does get cold here, but still no where near what you guys live with.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM
AshCook
Junior User
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Howdy Ash.
Sorry I took so long its just a long walk home from the park. Welcome to FTE m8, you wont find a better bunch of guys and girls. (except Bryan) .
Have you had a look here
Australian Ford Forums
Dont think the boys from the States would be up to speed on the models we get. Although if I was after a wiring schematic the link Bryan gave you would be the first place I would start.
Thanks Chunder! And it's all good, I know it's easy to get lost out on a walk

I hadn't seen those links to Ford Forums, thanks very much for that!

This forum was the first and still the only really one I have found a mixture of Aussies and F-trucks. I should have this disc arrive tomorrow so hopefully it will give me a good break down of my truck.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

One thing you guys might be able to help me with, I need a new right hand front axle. The uni joint in mine is shot. I have found one on US ebay, would this suit mine ok?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360448408...84.m1423.l2649

Thanks again for the heads up!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

You got a code on ya front axle. ie sticker or ID tag and the diff ?? I know alot of peeps who deal with LLC, they seem to be OK. I would send them your code and ask.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:28 AM
AshCook
Junior User
I'd have to have a look which I can do tomorrow.

I've never had a car before that I don't need to jack up to get under. It's quite convenient!!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

I hear ya bruva. I changed a friends clutch slave cylinder on a 96 rodeo ute on the weekend. Got my slider out and went to slide under and I couldnt fit. Forgot it wasnt a Effie.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM
AshCook
Junior User
Hahaha! We have a Territory and a 66 Mustang as our daily cars. We recently sold my AU ute and our BA G220 Fairlane. All of them need the trolley jack. One day I will get a hoist, one day!!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:46 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

we have the G220 as well. My 10ton floor jack wont fit under that either. I have to drive the front wheels onto a brick to get the jack under .

Quick Reply: Aussie newb