1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hi-Lo A/C Switch sucks!!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Hi-Lo A/C Switch sucks!!

Anybody change out the switch? I have had it zip tied back for years so it will make contact. Actually its the plug that goes into the switch that's all screwed up on mine. Its like looking at the UVCH burned pins. I'm ***** to the wall climbing a mountain north of Phoenix and the a/c quits, which is normal. The PCM will shut down the a/c when your under a heavy pull but it didn't come back on. Its like 95* with the windows open turning 3,200 rpm's at 38mph is no fun, especially with the exhaust bouncing off of gaurd rails, etc. on my wife's side. Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!! Anyway, back to the point, has anybody changed out the plug and hi-lo sensor? Tonight I put in a strand of copper wire to fill the gap (cody mod) and its working now but I don't know for how long. Also I was thinking why not just wire it direct and do away with the plug, any thoughts? I haven't even made it to Flagstaff yet, the hardest climb is yet to come.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be cool in Flagstaff Just yank out the wires and let the wife hold them together when she need to cool down, gives her something to do.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never changed them out before, but I know their kind of a PITA from taking apart my two parts trucks. If you need anything off one of them, let me know.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by richdawg
Should be cool in Flagstaff Just yank out the wires and let the wife hold them together when she need to cool down, gives her something to do.
Ya, it is cooler in Flagstaff according to wunderground. I'll have to tell my wife to put her book down and pay attention to our comfort level.

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I've never changed them out before, but I know their kind of a PITA from taking apart my two parts trucks. If you need anything off one of them, let me know.
Thanks Travis, the switch is ok, so I'm sure I can leave that alone. If I did have to change out the switch, you don't lose freon, do you? I don't know if the plug can be had by its self? If my 'cody mod' doesn't hold I'll take you up on a plug on the wire harness side. Tried to rep you but, but, but

Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Ya, it is cooler in Flagstaff according to wunderground. I'll have to tell my wife to put her book down and pay attention to our comfort level.

Thanks Travis, the switch is ok, so I'm sure I can leave that alone. If I did have to change out the switch, you don't lose freon, do you? I don't know if the plug can be had by its self? If my 'cody mod' doesn't hold I'll take you up on a plug on the wire harness side. Tried to rep you but, but, but
LOL!! You might not like where she puts that book Glenn! LOL!

I've got parts trucks too.............just lettin ya know.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

OK, thanks Bill!! If she puts that book there then I'll have plenty of paper for those important jobs.

We are going to hang out in Camp Verde for a couple of days and then tackle the mountain into Flagstaff. She's running good though, I'm thankful for that. I have to admit though, with the windows down the sweet sound of the turbo does get old. Pass me those ear plugs honey, LOL!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And no job is completed until the paper work is done! LOL!!!

Glad she's running good and you guys be safe.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend

I probably should have asked this first, but I assumed. I'm assuming your talking about the **** on the dash when you say "hi/lo switch"? If so, then no you wouldn't lose freon. If your talking about something else, let me know which switch it is. LOL Now I'm thinking your talking about one of the switches under the hood. I'm tired and I'm lost!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You can change both the high pressure or low pressure switch without losing freon they have a Schrader valve

Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
if I still have my second pump, which i'm not entirely sure I do anymore, I can steal the switch off it for you.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Iallwork
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had an Aerostar that the a/c didn't work and the electric windows wouldn't go down.We put frozen jugs of water between our legs to stay cool. So pack her in ice.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I probably should have asked this first, but I assumed. I'm assuming your talking about the **** on the dash when you say "hi/lo switch"? If so, then no you wouldn't lose freon. If your talking about something else, let me know which switch it is. LOL Now I'm thinking your talking about one of the switches under the hood. I'm tired and I'm lost!!!
I was tired last night so I didn't explain very well. Its the back sensor on the compressor towards the back of the engine. For years now I've had to wiggle it or zip tie it for the a/c to work. Cody mentioned putting strands of copper wire inside of the female side of the plug to take up the slack, which worked for a long time. Now its fried, looks just like UVCH plugs when they get burnt. Last night I put in a bigger strand of wire and its so tight it will not plug all the way in but the a/c is working so I'll leave it alone for now. The male prongs that are in the switch, sensor, what ever its called on the compressor are good. I'm tempted to cut off the plastic around the male prongs and cut the plug off and direct wire it, time will tell.

Originally Posted by fordpride
You can change both the high pressure or low pressure switch without losing freon they have a Schrader valve
Isn't the plug in front the power to the clutch and the plug towards the rear the hi-lo switch. I guess I wasn't thinking, they can be taken off without losing freon. I believe the switch is good, its just the plug is bad.

Originally Posted by Talyn
if I still have my second pump, which i'm not entirely sure I do anymore, I can steal the switch off it for you.
That's very genorous of you but I don't believe its bad, just the plug.

Originally Posted by Iallwork
had an Aerostar that the a/c didn't work and the electric windows wouldn't go down.We put frozen jugs of water between our legs to stay cool. So pack her in ice.
Man, that's crazy, but you have to do what you have to do.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:28 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Ok I got ya now. I think I have a couple of those pigtails laying around if you end up needing one.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

OK Travis, Thanks! Tell Cody I was thinking about him, LOL.

I just looked and its 58 miles from here to Flagstaff and its a 3,800 foot elevation raise! Uphill all the way, anybody have a spare motor?? HAHA

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
OK Travis, Thanks! Tell Cody I was thinking about him, LOL.

I just looked and its 58 miles from here to Flagstaff and its a 3,800 foot elevation raise! Uphill all the way, anybody have a spare motor?? HAHA
Wow. That is one hell of a pull. Not very many places around us that work a truck like that. LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi-Lo A/C Switch sucks!!