1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Hi-Lo A/C Switch sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I remember us talking about the possibility of you actually having larger injectors too. I actually kind of hope that's the case. At least it would explain so much about your truck. How you can smoke out a whole high way while I can keep smoke extremely controlled in my tow tune. I think I'll take a video of that tomorrow with the GoPro on my way to work. haha.
I wish I tell what size injectors they are without pulling them. I want to keep this truck but need to figure out the best setup so next fall I'm pulling the injectors for Jim to look at. I will keep your suggestions for a turbo in mind and try and make an intelligent decision on a good combination. I didn't answer your question about the EGT's comparison between stock and the D66. I don't see any difference between the two, same EGT's and same boost numbers. What I see is a lot faster spooling on the D66. Thanks

Edit: PS, I wish they would let me out of jail Travis, I want to rep you!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Thank the people who abused it Glenn.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not too worried about getting repped anyways. LOL. The fact that you didn't notice a difference in EGTs with the turbo swap kinda puzzles me too. When I did my turbo I immediately noticed about 100-150* drop cruising, about 300-400* drop at WOT in the race tune(used to peg 1600* gauge, now barely touches ~1400*, and in the tow tune empty running full tilt to ~120mph about a 100-150* drop. I'd like to think if your moving more air, you should have noticed a little bit of temp difference, along with a performance difference.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Well, I do feel a performance gain but if you say its the same size exhaust side doesn't it make sense that I the have the same EGT's? Well, anyway Travis, you got me thinking about Turbo's now, damn it,thanks a lot! LOL I'll be the first to admit I pull the trigger to quick on mods that sound good to me.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Well, I do feel a performance gain but if you say its the same size exhaust side doesn't it make sense that I the have the same EGT's? Well, anyway Travis, you got me thinking about Turbo's now, damn it,thanks a lot! LOL I'll be the first to admit I pull the trigger to quick on mods that sound good to me.
sometimes I jump the gun on saying things like you need a bigger turbo. LOL. I don't think I'd worry about a bigger turbo until you know for sure your injectors are 130cc. Really, the exhaust side of yours shouldn't be much of a hinderance with that size injector. What is your tow tune maxing at on pulsewidth again? I just ran my tow tune and got a max of 2.0ms at WOT.

Now sure, you could run an S300 or the like without an issue, but I don't think I'd do it just yet. You've spent quite a bit of money on the IH uppipes and D66 already. What kind of backpressure are you seeing on the scan gauge at WOT and how much boost? Also, probably need to know the elevation you take that reading at b/c the scan gauge will add atmospheric pressure to the back pressure reading.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
sometimes I jump the gun on saying things like you need a bigger turbo. LOL. I don't think I'd worry about a bigger turbo until you know for sure your injectors are 130cc. Really, the exhaust side of yours shouldn't be much of a hinderance with that size injector. What is your tow tune maxing at on pulsewidth again? I just ran my tow tune and got a max of 2.0ms at WOT.

Now sure, you could run an S300 or the like without an issue, but I don't think I'd do it just yet. You've spent quite a bit of money on the IH uppipes and D66 already. What kind of backpressure are you seeing on the scan gauge at WOT and how much boost? Also, probably need to know the elevation you take that reading at b/c the scan gauge will add atmospheric pressure to the back pressure reading.
I've seen 2.0 PW also. OK, what is backpressure on the scan gauge? I must have missed that one. Another thing that I wonder about is the boost pulling a 150% grade is, I hit 1,200* EGT at only 12-18 lb of boost. Light I can hit 30psi but I guess its probably normal with a sustained long pull.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
I've seen 2.0 PW also. OK, what is backpressure on the scan gauge? I must have missed that one. Another thing that I wonder about is the boost pulling a 150% grade is, I hit 1,200* EGT at only 12-18 lb of boost. Light I can hit 30psi but I guess its probably normal with a sustained long pull.
My truck used to run 1200*+ pulling some hills towing a skid steer at around that same boost level back when I was running the 1's and no live tuning. I'm going to tow a little before long and put the new turbo to the test. I know Cody's was doing the same when he pulled my truck to a race a couple weeks ago. Low boost, 1200* EGTs and slowing down on hills to keep EGTs down. He has 180/80's with a stock turbo and leaking uppipes though... Having to stay light on the throttle to keep the EGTs down, so boost is down.

I'm still stuck on why you can actually smoke out a highway in your tow tune. LOL I'm sending you a PM with what my truck does smoke-wise on a 2.0ms pulsewidth tow tune. haha

Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As much as Glenn has invested in the turbo and up-pies on his truck, I am sure he would be able to recover a good chunk of that investment by selling those parts on FTE.
I'm not sayin' I could buy them right now, I'm just sayin'....

Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

hmmmmmmm, I'm becoming brain dead. Overwhelming response. Nate, next fall, if I change something out I'll keep you in mine.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I thought I would post the fix to my AC problem. The part numbers listed in post #23 are correct. I didn't get in a hurry because my pickup has just been sitting. I got the parts from partsguyed, they were about half the cost of the other dealer I stopped at. The switch was $28.63 & the wire assembly was $29.62. Mike gave me a part # at O'Reilly's and it was about the same cost. Anyway, I put them on today and I have air now. I only drove about five miles but it worked great, hope it stays that way. The wire assembly came with four wires so I had to be careful to use the two that I needed.

I wanted to post this because a lot of times solutions to a problem are not posted, which I feel isn't right to the ones who are trying to help. I knew all of you were sitting on the end of your chairs waiting, now you know, LOL!!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I thought I would post the fix to my AC problem. The part numbers listed in post #23 are correct. I didn't get in a hurry because my pickup has just been sitting. I got the parts from partsguyed, they were about half the cost of the other dealer I stopped at. The switch was $28.63 & the wire assembly was $29.62. Mike gave me a part # at O'Reilly's and it was about the same cost. Anyway, I put them on today and I have air now. I only drove about five miles but it worked great, hope it stays that way. The wire assembly came with four wires so I had to be careful to use the two that I needed.

I wanted to post this because a lot of times solutions to a problem are not posted, which I feel isn't right to the ones who are trying to help. I knew all of you were sitting on the end of your chairs waiting, now you know, LOL!!
Thanks for that Glenn, and what was the O`Reilly`s part number if you dont mind?
Try to rep you but NO DICE

Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Thanks for that Glenn, and what was the O`Reilly`s part number if you dont mind?
Try to rep you but NO DICE

At O'Relly's it Murray #20916.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
1dieselman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left reps for you Glenn Good to know info.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Thanks for the rep Jack, I also reped you for the advice going to Flagstaff and north!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

At O'Relly's it Murray #20916.

Thank you Glenn. And I suppose its for the pressure switch, right?
Glad that you received the beans

Quick Reply: Hi-Lo A/C Switch sucks!!