1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I need air bags for my F250 (2012) w/bumper pull?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I need air bags for my F250 (2012) w/bumper pull?

2012 F250 crew cab long bed hauling a 20' enclosed bumper pull. Weight on the tongue is @850 lbs. Weight in the truck is nominal (me @175 lbs., overnight bag, smaller cooler, and 25 gallons of fuel in jugs at the tail gate; possibly 4 race wheels/tires at 35 lbs. each). Standard configuration truck (no camper package, for example).
I used a weight distribution hitch for the previous F250 (2008) but never felt I needed it, so when I bought the new adjustable hitch, it was not the weight distribution type.
So, I'm wondering if I will need airbags (as opposed to want airbags, which I would).
I am sure this has been asked (and answered) many times, but couldn't quite find the right thread. Thanks for any insights you can offer.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see any reason you would absolutely NEED them, but if the trailer makes the truck squat more than you would like then you might want them.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM
cbzdel
Elder User
You said you want them right??

Tell your SO they we here at Ford-Trucks.com think you WILL need them or you might die due to leaf spring failure

But really how far you plan on driving??

Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a very light hitch weight and you probably don't need bags, but I woul drecomend a good wd sway control hitch which makes everything betta

I don't even adjust my airbags when pulling my utility trailer with that type of weight, but do when it's the 2950 pin wgt 5er...

Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
2012 F250 crew cab long bed hauling a 20' enclosed bumper pull. Weight on the tongue is @850 lbs. Weight in the truck is nominal (me @175 lbs., overnight bag, smaller cooler, and 25 gallons of fuel in jugs at the tail gate; possibly 4 race wheels/tires at 35 lbs. each). Standard configuration truck (no camper package, for example).
I used a weight distribution hitch for the previous F250 (2008) but never felt I needed it, so when I bought the new adjustable hitch, it was not the weight distribution type.
So, I'm wondering if I will need airbags (as opposed to want airbags, which I would).
I am sure this has been asked (and answered) many times, but couldn't quite find the right thread. Thanks for any insights you can offer.
I haul a 20ft enclosed, with a custom show vehicle inside, 6500lbs total..
about 1000lbs tongue weight and my new 250 squats badly.. good thing I have the WD hitch.. I will put some bags on too I think cause I want to go heavier..

here with the truck & trailer loaded & wd hitch on 4th link. and there is still some squat

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With my 2000 F250 I did tow 22' Airstream trailer having over 1000lb on the bed just fine. Now WD bars and no sag that would bother me. Sure handling was worse than on my dually, but that is different story.
The airbags I do have on dually add comfort, even when they technically might not be necessary.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
No problem getting Joanie's approval; ever time I need something for the race car, she knows its for safety!
Sounds like I am going to wish that I had bought a weight distribution hitch. Oh well, now I can get bags (for safety reasons, of course).
Now for the 'which brand?' question? Have seen many recommend the Firestone product.
And, do I really need an on board compressor (I bring a portable compressor when I am hauling the race car).
Spending money on this new truck never ends; reminds me of my boating days!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firestone is long established name in air bags, but our sponsor Air Lift offers good deals.
I do have Firestone compressor that come with the kit, but never did on board installation. Like to have it for trailer inflation. Done right the air bags will hold the air for months, so you don't really need to pump them at 60 mph

Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

No problem getting Joanie's approval; ever time I need something for the race car, she knows its for safety!
Sounds like I am going to wish that I had bought a weight distribution hitch. Oh well, now I can get bags (for safety reasons, of course).
Now for the 'which brand?' question? Have seen many recommend the Firestone product.
And, do I really need an on board compressor (I bring a portable compressor when I am hauling the race car).
Spending money on this new truck never ends; reminds me of my boating days!
here is a great topic about the bags over in the 6.7 section
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11726596

Sam

Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like I am going to wish that I had bought a weight distribution hitch.
Did you get rid of the WD hitch that you used on the old truck? You should be able to use it on the new truck too since it just goes in the reciever.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Did you get rid of the WD hitch that you used on the old truck? You should be able to use it on the new truck too since it just goes in the reciever.
Thanks; that's a good idea. I do still have it just in case, but with the new-sized receiver need to use the adapter sleeve. Workable but I don't like it. Bought the new hitch and liked the idea of adjustable height.
I'm checking into air bags now and may go that way.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
here is a great topic about the bags over in the 6.7 section
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11726596

Sam
Thank you, Sam - that thread actually got me started thinking and led to this thread.
I think I have spring fever

Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Thanks; that's a good idea. I do still have it just in case, but with the new-sized receiver need to use the adapter sleeve. Workable but I don't like it. Bought the new hitch and liked the idea of adjustable height.
I'm checking into air bags now and may go that way.
I am still using my 10,000lb wd hitch with the adapter.. same as was used on the dually.

funny, I didn't even have to adjust it.. f350 4x2->f250 4x4.. surprised..

I was hoping not to need bags.. but they seem likely now.. (the dually never squatted! I was spoiled and didn't know it)..

Sam

Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
I tow a 28 foot enclosed trailer with my F-250. Total load is around 8000 pounds, plus or minus. Tongue weight around 1000, again plus or minus. I do not use a WD hitch and don't have an issue with squatting. I am considering a WD hitch, more for sway issues instead of squatting issues.

In your case, the only way to find out is to try the combination out and see what happens. Air bags will help, as will a properly set up WD hitch.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:38 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by redford
I tow a 28 foot enclosed trailer with my F-250. Total load is around 8000 pounds, plus or minus. Tongue weight around 1000, again plus or minus. I do not use a WD hitch and don't have an issue with squatting. I am considering a WD hitch, more for sway issues instead of squatting issues.

In your case, the only way to find out is to try the combination out and see what happens. Air bags will help, as will a properly set up WD hitch.
yes, the older Superdutys had heavier springs, and didn't need as much assist.
It appears Ford lightened the springs on the 250 at least.

Sam

Quick Reply: Will I need air bags for my F250 (2012) w/bumper pull?