1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I need air bags for my F250 (2012) w/bumper pull?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I would go with a set of Firestone bags with on board compressor. I got my kit for bags and compressor shipped for $427. I know you said you carry a compressor when pulling the race trailer but if you happen by chance pull a different trailer or not prepared it nice to be able to flip a switch and be done. I would reccomend mounting the compressor in the cab if possible for longevity. Having had Firestone and airlift both on different trucks I think Firestone bags are built better IMO.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
yes, the older Superdutys had heavier springs, and didn't need as much assist.
It appears Ford lightened the springs on the 250 at least.

Sam
Bingo

Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with the loadlifter 5000's from airlift as they have a rebate program going on now...

They handle my 3000 (well 2950 ) pin wgt with about 60 lbs in them...
didn't do compressor since I have a battery operated air pump that does just fine while I'm doing other hook up duties !

How you load your trailer has a lot to do with how it handles the load !

Old 04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Thanks; that's a good idea. I do still have it just in case, but with the new-sized receiver need to use the adapter sleeve. Workable but I don't like it. Bought the new hitch and liked the idea of adjustable height.
I'm checking into air bags now and may go that way.
Check with an RV dealer or a place that sells hitches. You can get just the shank to fit your 2.5" receiver.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 PM
jerem0621
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
IMHO....you should not need airbags with a properly adjusted WD hitch.

A weight distribution hitch is not designed to just take the sag out of the rear end. It is to return the front fenders to within a 1/2 inch of unloaded vehicle weight. Essentially, a WD hitch adds weight back to the steer axle returning control back to you, the driver.

The additional advantage of a weight distribution hitch is that you can stiffen the connection between the truck and the trailer via some form of sway control.

You can add a few sway bars to the trailer to help dampen sway. Here is an example of a weight distribution hitch with dual friction bar sway control. The sway bars can be removed easily and they are independent of the weight distribution hitch.

My preference is a weight distribution hitch with integrated sway control, namely a Reese/Draw-Tite WD hitch with Dual-Cam sway control

This hitch works to prevent sway from happening and if a sway event happens the dual cam sway control works to return the trailer to center and prevent sway from happening.

Here is picture after I set up dual cam on my Travel Trailer, It is not the best picture but it's the best I have right now.

Here is a close up of the WD spring bar resting in the cam. The force working against sway with the Dual Cam sway control is extreme. In other words, its working hard to keep you in control.

IMHO, it is best to have some sort of WD hitch and sway control. You are not preparing for perfect days, you are preparing for the unexpected, sudden evasive maneuvers, getting hit with a 60 MPH wind gust, Trailer tire blow out at 60-70 mph.

A WD hitch and sway control helps you stay in control

Good luck no matter what you decide.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
How you load your trailer has a lot to do with how it handles the load !
So true; I've been towing a long time and learned quickly that a well set up rig makes for a much more peaceful tow. Last year I towed home from Watkins Glen during the remnants of Hurricane Irene; enough wind to startle, but not enough to be dangerous - if you drive the right rig.
Too many of my racing friends try to get by with a marginal tow vehicle; I tell them to buy a real truck. Note my sig line below!
I use a Shureline scale to measure tongue weight, which makes all the difference in the world.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Check with an RV dealer or a place that sells hitches. You can get just the shank to fit your 2.5" receiver.
Thanks; called them yesterday.
I actually have the shank; I just don't like the idea of using an adapter, although I'm sure its safe. It's the 'take the factory receiver, slide in the shank, then slide in the tow bar, make sure all the holes are lined up right, oops, not quite right, try again, maybe a bit of extra slop in the system as a result' stuff.
You can tell I am a bit obsessed about my towing, but I do it enough to not want to use an adapter.
BUT if I need to go back to my weight distribution hitch, I've got the adapter in the truck.
I may yet, and use my brand new adjustable hitch as a paper weight.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Thanks; called them yesterday.
I actually have the shank; I just don't like the idea of using an adapter, although I'm sure its safe. It's the 'take the factory receiver, slide in the shank, then slide in the tow bar, make sure all the holes are lined up right, oops, not quite right, try again, maybe a bit of extra slop in the system as a result' stuff.
You can tell I am a bit obsessed about my towing, but I do it enough to not want to use an adapter.
BUT if I need to go back to my weight distribution hitch, I've got the adapter in the truck.
I may yet, and use my brand new adjustable hitch as a paper weight.
Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you mean by "adapter". I was thinking you meant the adapter sleeve that you put inside the 2.5" receiver so you can use a 2" draw bar.

This is what I was talking about. It's a shank that fits the 2.5" receiver without an adapter. I just don't know if this one will work with your WD hitch.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...e/RP54977.html

Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was missing it too... (still am maybe !) my truck came with the 2.5 to 2 in sleeve and actually it's real easy to line up..

I slide the Hitch into sleeve THEN slide the combo into the truck by keeping my thumb right behind the sleeve on the hitch so it doesn't slide ! and pin usually slips right in...

Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you mean by "adapter". I was thinking you meant the adapter sleeve that you put inside the 2.5" receiver so you can use a 2" draw bar.

This is what I was talking about. It's a shank that fits the 2.5" receiver without an adapter. I just don't know if this one will work with your WD hitch.

Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank - Trunnion Only - 5-3/4" Drop, 8-1/4" Rise - 1,700 lbs TW Reese Accessories and Parts RP54977
and some more generic drops
8.75" Deep Drop 2.5" Shank Weight Distribution Hitch | eBay
5-5/8" Deep Drop 2.5" Shank, Weight Distribution Hitch | eBay

Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
RickBetterley
Senior User

Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank - Trunnion Only - 5-3/4" Drop, 8-1/4" Rise - 1,700 lbs TW Reese Accessories and Parts RP54977
Ah, sorry - I was talking about the sleeve that comes (sometimes) with the truck to allow the use of a 2" draw bar in the 2.5" receiver.
My new hitch is the DiversiTech Adjustable Dual Locking Double Ball Hitch
2" & 2-5/16" ***** 4" Drop - 5" Rise.
I wonder if there is a way to convert this product to have weight distribution capabilities.
My apologies.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah, sorry - I was talking about the sleeve that comes (sometimes) with the truck to allow the use of a 2" draw bar in the 2.5" receiver.
I wonder if there is a way to convert this product to have weight distribution capabilities.
My apologies.
they sell the hitch head.. and the arms too..

Draw-Tite 62167 Weight Distribution Replacement HD Trunnion Bar Hitch

here is an assembly without the shank
1000 lb. Round Bar Weight Distributing Hitch - Cequent Performance Products 66067 - Hitches & Hitch Bars - Camping World

Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Good find there. I would recommend that seller, too. They actually sell quality stuff, not the cheap junk that is typical of eBay.

I bought a set of these from the them when I rebuilt my ATV trailer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3500-Torsion...item518918d957

Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
My apologies.
Got this pic from their website, doesn't look like you could set that up to have WD capability.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM
RickBetterley
Senior User
Got this pic from their website, doesn't look like you could set that up to have WD capability.
Me either, but you never know what some inventive engineer might have come up with.