Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2009, 02:39 PM

lsrx101 has a very good reputation on FTE.lsrx101 has a very good reputation on FTE.lsrx101 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil3758 View Post
... i got a p0401 code replaced it with one from autozone that was plastic...
That's the key phrase. Engine management/electrical parts from AutoZone are usually Wells brand, sometimes reboxed as Duralast. They have a very high failure rate. I won't touch them.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
New User

Leefpile is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, I'm new to this site. Just picked up a '02 Ranger 4x4 4.0 sohc, XLT package, 65xxx miles less than five months ago. About three months ago the CEL came on with P0400. I was digging around and was told it was the DPFE sensor. I replaced it and the light went off for about two months. It's back. P0401, insufficient flow detected... I have a multimeter, a handheld vacuum pump/guage and enough tools to do these repairs but I cannot figure this one out. Please help.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
New User

reynolds4864 is starting off with a positive reputation.
After a long search, this is the best site I've found that addresses the P0401 code issue. All the posts sound like my problem. However I have a 2002 Mercury Sable 3.0L DOHC (which is the Tuarus) and am having trouble finding the DPFE sensor. Any advise where it is on this engine?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
New User

Leefpile is starting off with a positive reputation.
ALAS! I fixed it, after about a month of randomly checking voltages, pressures, and other miscellaneous tests I said "F**K IT, I'll just try another DPFE sensor." Low and behold the light hasn't come back on yet!!! It's been a few days now, it seems to have fixed the hesitation for the most part, but it is still a little noticeable...
The real test will be my trip to Chicago this week. I'll keep you posted on the results.

*** Keep in mind that AutoZone has cheap parts, but I went to NAPA soon after. The DPFE sensor I grabbed from AutoZone failed, REAL QUICK... As of now I would say maybe check out NAPA. It's about $51.00 after tax. ***
Old 05-20-2009, 09:27 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds4864 View Post
After a long search, this is the best site I've found that addresses the P0401 code issue. All the posts sound like my problem. However I have a 2002 Mercury Sable 3.0L DOHC (which is the Tuarus) and am having trouble finding the DPFE sensor. Any advise where it is on this engine?
Welcome to FTE.

I'm not exactly sure where the DPFE is located on this engine, but I'll bet the guys on the Taurus Car Club (TCCA) Maintenance, or Engine/Drivetrain forums will know, if you haven't already found them in your search.
Taurus Car Club of America -> Maintenance and Repair

You might also try AutoZones website & enter your vehicles particulars..

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Senior User

98expeditionXLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been fighting this P0401 problem on my 2000 Taurus and searched all over the internet. The last place I looked for info was this forum. It should have been the first place to look. Thanks for all the great input.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Freshman User

killit is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same code. Checked all tubes and vacuum lines, hoses, etc and cleaned them all with compressed air...
Removed the EGR valve and cleaned the port with throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush, it did not appear to be clogged.
I used a voltmeter on the DPFE sensor expecting it to be bad, but it read 4.8 volts, manual stating 4-6volts was good.
I thought maybe mine was going to be something else...
Before i put the EGR valve back on i was trying to check to see if it was stuck a little or working properly...
my brother took the air hose and shot it into the valve! DO NOT DO THIS!!!! POP! the air busted the diaphragm that works the valve up and down.
SO, i hoped it was the problem to begin with and spent $50 replacing it. Still got the code.
Another $50 for the DPFE sensor.
NO MORE CODE!!!!
It was probably that freaking sensor the whole time. I should have listened to this board and my gut and just replaced it first. Oh well.

And fwiw, i used autozone part - $53 versus $77 at Oreilly's, and has a 2year warranty. We'll see how long it lasts i guess.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 AM
New User

slick351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 Expedition 4.6
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have also been fighting this code problem:
Replaced:
EGR Valve, DPFE sensor, EGR Tube to Exhaust Manifold
Recently noticed that I had 2 broken studs at the exhaust manifold...Replaced exhaust manifold all new gasket, studs and double male connector for EGR tube to go in to the exhaust manifold
Reset and drove for about 30-45mins before the S.O.B light came on again.

Before I take it to the Mech. what else can I look for?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Maybe the vacuum switching valve's diaphragm is leaking, or leaking vacuum lines between it & the EGR valve.

The computer sends the VSV electrical signals to have it control the EGR valve by sending it vacuum pulses to open & close. So if any of the EGR systems vacuum plumbing is leaking, the system is weak, or doesn't work at all.

If the leak is bad enough you may have driveability problems, engine ping, or maybe lean codes too.

Look in the Tech Info thread for links on how to properly test & diagnose the EGR system, so you don't waste money throwing parts at the problem.

Let us now what you find.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 04-04-2010, 04:51 PM
New User

Thanks.
As of right now she runs great. I will get on tracing the lines ASAP.
I will let you guys know what I find
Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
New User

For the past couple of months I've been fighting with this code just to get my emmissions completed for Maryland Inspection. We have to do it every 2 years.

Well I found the problem.....I finally decided to go to the junkyard and tinker with some junk Expo's with the top part of the motor still on... I removed the Throttle body and ERG port on 3 of them. Not sure what its called (bolts to the back of the Throttle body turns down and bolts to the intake..EGR valve bolts to the side of it) On all 3 of the Expo's I found that there are to smaller ports about the size of a Bic pen that turn down towards the intake. Both of the ports completely clogged with carbon turd build up. I had to forcefully push a screw driver in to get unclogged.

I came home and found the same on mine. Cleaned it out with Throttle body cleaner and a small pipe brush. Reset code and drove for about 200 miles. Went to get my vehicle emmissions done and YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......Passed

Very Simple:
You can take this off while leaving the throttle body still on.. Only 4 bolts (kind of a pain to get to but all you need is #8 & 10mm socket (#10 is for EGR Valve) with a long and short extension, swivel screw driver and some type of pad to lay on if you need to.. I did mine in about 45mins
Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM
New User

E_Net_Rider is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrx101 View Post
That's the key phrase. Engine management/electrical parts from AutoZone are usually Wells brand, sometimes reboxed as Duralast. They have a very high failure rate. I won't touch them.
I agree about that Wells junk. Last the warranty if you are lucky. If not, you still end up doing the job twice. Better to pay twice as much, do the job once.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM