1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

slave cylinder removal

Old 04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slave cylinder removal

Today I just notice that when I went to tighten the bleeder it was stripped anyways, I'm going to be buying a new slave cylinder. Has anyone ever removed one of these mine look like it just slides into place and locks in plastic c clip. The fork shouldn't move outta place when the slave cylinder is removed right?

My truck has the top loader Trans if it helps any.

Thank you.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are correct. The slave is held in by that simple thick plastic C-clip. The fork that the slave rod pushes on will be fine if you remove the slave from its holder.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Thanks galendor for the reply! Glad you didn't tell me to buy a Chilton manual lol

Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy300
Thanks galendor for the reply! Glad you didn't tell me to buy a Chilton manual lol

Yeah, Heaven forbid you'd actually take it upon yourself to learn something on your own. I'm 100% sure this same question has been answered multiple times before, and I'm sure there are well documented pictures of the process as well. A simple search, or a flip through said Chilton's manual would have given you the answer. No need for smartass remarks.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
No need for the using of bad language I didn't think was being a "smarta**" I did search threw out the forum no one in the treads i read said that it was held by the c clip and whats the point of this forum if someone is going to say get a manual. Might as well not have a forum then.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
....whats the point of this forum if someone is going to say get a manual. Might as well not have a forum then.
The point of the forum is to help people help themselves.

If you notice, people who put some effort into figuring out what's going on, doing their homework and then coming here telling us what they've learned and what they still have questions on, several people here will jump to their aid.

But, when people come here wanting to be spoon-fed the things that are already available in all the standard $20 repair manuals - especially larger tasks such as transmission & clutch removal - the responses will generally be far less forthcoming.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
No has spoon feed me nothing I just finished rebuilding my motor you think I came back here trying to ask what each and every single torque spec no I got them from all data at my job but I'm not there so I figured I'd asked here and my question was answered thanks to galendor but if no one would have chimed in I woulda waited till I got to work or I would have did a little more research.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Im not gonna get my feathers ruffled up anymore because im arguing with people i don't know. But if you guys ever helped me in a question that i needed help with thanks.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll weigh in here at the risk of ruffling some feathers....not my intent but probably will happen anyway.

The intent of the forum, in my opinion, is to help out the population of people that are trying to work on, maintain and restore their Ford trucks. It is NOT intended to be a personal google for anyone that has a simply question on how to do something that can easily be found in a manual.

You state "thanks for not telling me to buy a manual" as if that's something that makes you uncool or not manly. There is absolutely centuries of experience here on FTE for the taking, and I assure you, they all have manuals. So with your comment, it leads me to believe that our opinion is "why should I buy a manual, when you all have already spent your money and I can just come get may how to advise from you all....with the manuals"

If you own an old truck, or car, or lawnmower, or whatever...and you want to work on it...my question is "why not buy a manaul"? Why not want to learn yourself how your truck works, how to fix it and maintain it? You state you rebuilt your engine...I can't possibly imagine how you did that without a manual. How do you get torque spec and patterns? There are people on here that have built ford engines for decades and I'm sure everytime they do, they look it up in a "manual".

So yes...we all enjoy working on these old trucks and some of us get just as much enjoyment out of helping others do the same. But I don't think the centuries of experience are just haning out waited to tell someone how to do things that are easily looked up. I find myself doing just that and don't usually mind...helping someone with a simple problem and looking for help. But at the same time, when you make comments of not wanting to invest in a manaul...then it leads us to believe that your just taking advantage of us being here and are too cheep or lazy to help yourself.

so there.....done!!! Feathers ruffled? Hope not!! Point taken? Hope so!!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I would rep you for that, Kevin, but I need to spread the love.

Fordboy - Kevin is absolutely right... many of the guys here are (semi-)retired professionals who have been working on these things longer than you've been alive and have sometimes hundreds of volumes of books & documentation.

These people enjoy helping others who are trying to learn about & do things on their own, but the general expectation is the person with the question has already done some homework on their own.

To expect people here to spoon-feed you the most basic things can be construed as arrogant & snobbish & condescending.

I've seen many of your posts both here & in the 6-banger forum, it becomes obvious you're not doing much to read & investigate & learn on your own before coming here asking for help.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with coming here and asking for help, that's why this place exists.

But displaying the kind of attitude about not doing your own basic investigation (as described by Kevin & others above) you're not doing yourself any help there.

Books are cool in that you can take them into the shop and use 'em right there. Lots of step-by-step instruction, many times even with pictures.

Manuals are invaluable, and all professionals have them and refer to them almost daily.

You might consider doing the same.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
No feathers are not ruffled.

and yes i guess i shouldnt had made that rude comment. ill be more thoughtful next time around. the way i got the torque spec and torque sequences are from this kinda like a manual online system its called "ALLDATA" we have it at the Toyota dealer i work at and i wont lie i sat in a advance auto part reading the Haynes manual for at least half hour i shouldve just bought the darn book huh ill probably do just that.

lesson learn i guess you could say.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No feathers are not ruffled.

and yes i guess i shouldnt had made that rude comment. ill be more thoughtful next time around. the way i got the torque spec and torque sequences are from this kinda like a manual online system its called "ALLDATA" we have it at the Toyota dealer i work at and i wont lie i sat in a advance auto part reading the Haynes manual for at least half hour i shouldve just bought the darn book huh ill probably do just that.

lesson learn i guess you could say.
Very good!!! We want people to stay and even contribute to helping others solve their problems as well

Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I would rep you for that, Kevin, but I need to spread the love.

Fordboy - Kevin is absolutely right... many of the guys here are (semi-)retired professionals who have been working on these things longer than you've been alive and have sometimes hundreds of volumes of books & documentation.

These people enjoy helping others who are trying to learn about & do things on their own, but the general expectation is the person with the question has already done some homework on their own.

To expect people here to spoon-feed you the most basic things can be construed as arrogant & snobbish & condescending.

I've seen many of your posts both here & in the 6-banger forum, it becomes clear you're not doing much to read & investigate & learn on your own before coming here asking for help.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with coming here and asking for help, that's why this place exists.

But displaying the kind of attitude about not doing your own basic investigation (as described by Kevin & others above) you're not doing yourself any help there.

Books are cool in that you can take them into the shop and use 'em right there. Lots of step-by-step instruction, many times even with pictures.

Manuals are invaluable, and all professionals have them and refer to them almost daily.

You might consider doing the same.

Im sorry ctubutis i just felt like when you said "get a manual" i guess i read it wrong and took it as an offense. But in reality it was for my own good.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly, most manuals aren't very clear about this particular task, so having one handy isn't that much help. In this case, the way the question was asked, it sounded more like the OP simply wanted confirmation of how it is done, and what to expect, from someone who has done this task.
The question was asked in an informed but uncertain manner, and answered well enough to clarify.
It was after that when the thread went a bit haywire......

Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 AM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 82f100460
Very good!!! We want people to stay and even contribute to helping others solve their problems as well
Im here to stay i dont think ill ever leave this place! its way to awesome here i love seeing all the bullnose trucks when ever some one posts a new pic of there ride! It makes me wanna drive mine even more! the inline 6 forum too is way cool too the guys there are cool and here too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slave cylinder removal