6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Air bags...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 PM
RACING1320
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
i dont tow anything more than 10K lbs as of now. whats ya'lls thoughts on the bags, if they are worthwile or not.
If I were to tow 10,000lbs, I would not buy the air bags - unless you feel the truck swaying, sagging or a terrible ride.
I towed a 24 foot enclosed race car trailer that was about the same weight, I did not need air bags.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
KG6EPF
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
i dont tow anything more than 10K lbs as of now. whats ya'lls thoughts on the bags, if they are worthwile or not.
I understand that the 2012 doesn't sag quite as much under load. For my 2011 the sag/squat was bad enough under load that my headlights were up in oncoming traffic. While the suspension still seemed ok, I'm much happier with the ride after installing the Ride Rite airbags.

I'd say if you are happy with the ride and the way the truck sits under load with what you tow, don't mess with it.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
I bought an airline T to be able to fill/drain them as one til I get the onboard pump/controller.

Sam
I would recommend against that. Although convienent, when you turn and start loading one side you will transfer air to the opposite side as the bags equalize pressure. The more you turn the more exaggerated the transfer of air.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
I would recommend against that. Although convienent, when you turn and start loading one side you will transfer air to the opposite side as the bags equalize pressure. The more you turn the more exaggerated the transfer of air.
understand.. this is only for the interim until I get the individual control kit.
a Sway bar also helps here. I have the same setup on my show truck..

the sway bar stops the side to side, which stops the rush of air to the other bag.

Sam

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
understand.. this is only for the interim until I get the individual control kit.
a Sway bar also helps here. I have the same setup on my show truck..

the sway bar stops the side to side, which stops the rush of air to the other bag.

Sam
Hey Sam. The sway bar is going to help some but you really ought to keep the airbags separate from each other. Like porthole said, they can actually work against each other when sharing a line. No only does air run out of the loaded side airbag but it quickly INFLATES the non-loaded side airbag and can really create some serious body roll. If you're looking for a temporary solution, just let the airline hang down for awhile until you figure out what you want to do in the long term.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
Im thinking of putting air bags on my 2011. We just bought a 41 ft toy hauler and it sets the truck down to much. I can hunt squirrels in the trees with the head lights. Well maybe not that bad lol. I want to find a easy bolt on no drill if possible. Just want to level it up. Thought about super springs but not sure they would level the truck loaded and not mess the ride to much empty. I wanted to go with air bags and no compressor.
This truck handles it with no problem other than the sag.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,972 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Just grab the AirLift or Firestone airbags for your truck then because they will level out the truck and the squirrels will regain their privacy. It really is that simply.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
That's what i am thinking. Just want to make sure there is no hidden hassles for the install. I like straight forward bolt up with a low cuss rate lol.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:17 PM
RACING1320
Junior User
I completed my Air Lift install today. I started the install yesterday. I have about 8 hours into the install. I installed the air bags and a dual control. I have a B&W goose neck hitch which added time to the install. I will take pictures tomorrow. I took my time installing the sensor under the dash that maintain 5psi, all lines are secured to the floor - very neat.
Of course I am loosing air. I am loosing 10psi every 30 to 45 minutes. You would think I would hear the leak, I am not able to hear the leak. I sprayed soapy water on all connections. No results. I noticed that I need 50psi in the bags for the truck to almost level. With the trailer connected, the pressure will rise to 80psi.
I need to find the leak now.
I did order the Firestone bags too. I compared the two to see which I would use. It was a difficult decision.
The instructions for the Air Lift explained n detail about installing there product with a goose neck hitch. The Firestone air bags were a little vague in this area. I did not want to start an install and find out it would not work.
The air bags were needed as I drove the truck with the trailer without the air bags. You would think a F450 would be able to handle the weight and not drop so much. I was wrong.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 AM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
That's one reason why I don't want a air compressor and more air lines running every where. Having a air leak can be nerve racking especially on the road. I would like to see your pics of the install of the air bags. Good luck in finding the air leak.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Hey Sam. The sway bar is going to help some but you really ought to keep the airbags separate from each other. Like porthole said, they can actually work against each other when sharing a line. No only does air run out of the loaded side airbag but it quickly INFLATES the non-loaded side airbag and can really create some serious body roll. If you're looking for a temporary solution, just let the airline hang down for awhile until you figure out what you want to do in the long term.
Thanks, and understood.. I am bumper pull at the moment, so the weight is not at the bags directly.. so minimal risk of side to side.

I just didn't want to fight the dual pressure settings..

sam

Old 05-05-2012, 07:35 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
That's what i am thinking. Just want to make sure there is no hidden hassles for the install. I like straight forward bolt up with a low cuss rate lol.
I did the firestone bag kit (2535) on my 2012 F250 in just over two hours.. really not hard.

I think I only cussed when I dropped a nut and it rolled under the creeper..

I was able to use my air tools, so no knuckle slams either.

Sam

Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually wanted the separate air lines....
both come out on either side of my license plate and easily reached with http://compare.ebay.com/like/3103965...Types&var=sbar. takes seconds to get both bags from 5 psi to 60 psi... and if needed 100 is just a bit longer !

I measured my truck and STOCK it is actually 1" difference left to right, so with the two lines, I can level it out, even if I load it wrong left to right...

Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 PM
RACING1320
Junior User
Here are some pictures of the install. I prefer a way to control the air pressure from inside the cab - if the ride is to hard or to soft. The longest part of the install was the installing the lines. You can not bend the lines, they are plastic but have very little flex to them.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by RACING1320
Here are some pictures of the install. I prefer a way to control the air pressure from inside the cab - if the ride is to hard or to soft. The longest part of the install was the installing the lines. You can not bend the lines, they are plastic but have very little flex to them.

I see your kit came with heat shields for the bags, is that an Air Lift kit?

Quick Reply: Air bags...