1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New Guy - 1956 F250 Going from 38 yrs in Barn - Weekly Driver

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 PM
PDXBronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy - 1956 F250 Going from 38 yrs in Barn - Weekly Driver

New guy, been a Classic Bronco fan all my life but needed a truck but wanted something classic and fun. Swapped a project 69 Bronco for this F250. Its really clean, all original, been in a dry barn in North Kern County here in CA since 1974. Looking forward to making it a weekly driver that I can enjoy and use. Plan to leave the exterior as is and redo the bench seat, headliner, get in running condition with motor (292) and 4 speed and upgrade the brakes.
Looking forward to searching the threads and finding more info specifically on the brakes (how to upgrade to disc and maybe stay with 8 lug?) and tips on the 292 and 4 speed.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Welcome to the FTE. Nice find there. It's great that it was put away inside rather than be allowed to weather in the elements.

As to your brake thoughts, you probably have a 4.56:1 rearend. You will not be setting any speed records. Unless you plan to change to a higher geared axle, I would get the original brakes in tip tip shape and focus time and money elsewhere. YMMV.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome aboard, these guy's are great. Lottsa info on this site. Enjoy the ride.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Welcome and congrats. Great looking truck. This is the best place you can be for help with these trucks. Keep us posted on your progress. I too love the old Broncos. I still have a couple little Bronco toys I had as a kid. Never have had the real thing though! Most of the affordable ones in this part of the country are a bit rough.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 PM
PDXBronco
New User
Haha yeah 4.56 gears, I think I'll too out about 55 lol. It's ok no plans of going fast for now just enjoying the views and smells of an old truck. Me and my boys already just go out and sit in it enjoying. They are already harassing me as to when we will have it running.
Thanks for the welcome guys, if you look in my garage you can see pics of 2 of my 3 current broncos. Didn't hurt me too bad to give up the fourth to acquire the truck.
So are guys with the 250s putting in the softer springs and converting to 5 lug? If I were modding this one I have the Dana 44 and 9" to swap in along with a rebuilt 302, Dana 20 and all the rest :-X
But I dont plan on it. I am fine with the long bed, might make a nice tool box to go against the cab, haven't made a lot of decisions yet.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Congrats! That's a fantastic find!

I wish my 56 was still in that good of shape when I got it.

How much you want for it?? (you know I had to ask, someone was going to)

Old 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM
PDXBronco
New User
Lol I'll wait to start taking offers till I start beating my head against the wall looking for some obscure part ;-)

Sounds like parts are generally easy to get since they share so much with little brother and this one is literally missing nothing that I have found. Just needs to be got into working order.

Anyone in SoCal and going to Fab Fords at Knotts Berry Farm? I'll be there Sunday shopping around for ideas and contacts. Hope to find the f- fans as friendly and helpful as the Bronco guys are. Seems to be so far.

Where are you guys getting period correct white wall tires? I have 4 16" wheels and 2 17s all factory ford looking. Did these have caps on them? If so I'll be looking for a set of moons. I tried a set I had for 15s and clearly the bossing on the rim is different for the 16". I know the few Broncos had from Ford with 16s did not come with covers.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Have you tried Coker Tire? www.cokertire.com for the tires? I'm not sure on the caps.

And yes, you'll be hard pressed to find guys more helpful than those here. I've been helped and steered in the right direction many times in the short time I've been here.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice find. Tell us what ya paid for it. Yes, get it running with new original brakes and all. Find out what it was like for some of us and our folks to have drivin them when they near new and run most everyday. Drive the wheels off and let her tell what (if anything) she wants in the way of upgrades. Remember, She will only drive like a 56 F250 until ya start to modify (or Fordify) the stock brakes,steering, ride and gearing.

And be sure to check out the Bronco forums here. I just got my first one and these Guy's are lots help. Although I seem to be having some trouble getting them to help me spend my money on her.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A really nice looking barn find! The only car I ever found in a barn was a 53 Chevy sedan about 25 years ago. The owner gave it to me so we towed it home. On the way we had to stop to re-strap it down and when we stopped about 50 big rats ran out of the car. You should have seen the almost wrecks of the people driving by freaked out by all the rats. Needless to say our next stop was the junkyard. They had eaten everything except metal. The seats, the wiring, the dash *****, the rubber that they could get to, everything! Yours looks so much better!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I see you joind in 2009 , but just got your truck, so Im still going to say welcome to the site, and defenitly congatulations on finding such a nice truck. Your lucky it still has the old calif. plates on it. This is a great site, and we are all glad your here, keep us posted on your truck, as you are part of a great family, the FTE family.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM
PDXBronco
New User
Lol I was cleaning this one out and reached down into the cab corner to feel around and got a handful of dead mouse carcasses YIKES!!! Ugh. After I got over that I took the shop vac out to clean the rest. Could hear the nice getting sucked through the tube. They were all dead but still freaked me out getting a handful.

I so wish it was me that pulled it out of the barn but it was a friend of a friend that did so at the end of feb, they kept the f100 and I bought the f250. Spent the equivalent of 2500 on it (three way swap bronco to friend, cash to truck owner, truck to me), probably high but i'd easily pay it again for a rust free complete project all day long. Dealing with rust especially in hard to deal with spots like cab corners and drip rails is a real headache. The rust on broncos seems much easier to deal with then these. And I am able to say with confidence that not a single panel or patch is needed on this, anywhere.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
PDXBronco
New User
Yeah I joined in 2009 when I got my 7.3 excursion. Was a good site to find info on a few things I needed. I typically am over at classicbroncos.com (Tito) for my bronco stuff but I know several members frequent both boards.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:07 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXBronco
Lol I was cleaning this one out and reached down into the cab corner to feel around and got a handful of dead mouse carcasses YIKES!!! Ugh. After I got over that I took the shop vac out to clean the rest. Could hear the nice getting sucked through the tube. They were all dead but still freaked me out getting a handful.

I so wish it was me that pulled it out of the barn but it was a friend of a friend that did so at the end of feb, they kept the f100 and I bought the f250. Spent the equivalent of 2500 on it (three way swap bronco to friend, cash to truck owner, truck to me), probably high but i'd easily pay it again for a rust free complete project all day long. Dealing with rust especially in hard to deal with spots like cab corners and drip rails is a real headache. The rust on broncos seems much easier to deal with then these. And I am able to say with confidence that not a single panel or patch is needed on this, anywhere.
Now that ya told us what you paid you may end up selling it for a profit and never turn a wrench. Damn nice find. I drove my 62 Uni (Avatar) out off the barn it was in looking pretty much as it does now. Rust free is great.

So what's up with why it was parked? Is the engine shot? Clutch out?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I'll be the first to bring up the wheel issue: do a search on this (48-56) forum for "widow maker". You may want to change you wheels. You may be lucky and not need to. truckdog62563 will hopefully be along soon and set us straight on your wheels.

Great project truck!

Quick Reply: New Guy - 1956 F250 Going from 38 yrs in Barn - Weekly Driver