Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pulling a Fifth Wheel Camper

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this -

Here is the thread on axle and trans rations referenced above: What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object ...? - TheDieselGarage.com

The ability of a given power plant to start a load is dependant on the transmission gearing, rear axle ratio and tire size (rolling diameter) and nothing more. When you take the gear ratio of the transmission in 1st and multiply it by the rear gear ratio you get the amount of Tq multiplication to the rear wheels (actually to the axle shafts because tire size matters ).

For the 6.4L w/TS => 1st = 3.114:1, with a towing gear of 4.10:1 the total multiplication works out to 3.114 x 4.10 = 12.767:1

For the 6.7L => 1st = 3.97:1, with the 3.31 stock gearing the total multiplication works out to 3.97 x 3.31 = 13.14:1

This means that a truck with a 6.7L and auto trans with the STOCK rear gear of 3.31:1 has more "load starting" capability than a 6.4L TS with a 4.10 rear gear and equal Tq and HP

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
- So maybe rear end is not as important? - This is why this forum is great - all the input here - really has me thinking, which is exactly why I asked my question. Thanks guys.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER
Well If that is the case the F350 SRW's must be having some major issues, as the engine/tranny programming is the same as my F250 and they are rated for the weight. - Also I just checked the ratio on my window sticker and I have the electronic locking rear end - which is the 3.55 - So I was wrong on the ratio. - This is why I am concerned - don't want to drop major bucks on the dolly if the truck cant handle the weight.
I don't think very many owners of SRW trucks use their trucks like you are planning. The F250/350 programming has quite a few derating strategies in place to deal with heat. We have quite a few grades here in Arizona where it's pretty easy to hit those limits even with a fairly light 10klb trailer....I am sure the Rockies are even more demanding.

I wish I could say more on the subject but I will have to wait a while longer. I can say that it's no secret that cooling and altitude are the two major limiting factors with the 2011-2014 pickup models at this time.

If you can wait until 2015, the F450 looks to be quite a nice tow vehicle and right up your alley.

Happy Towing!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We're really spoiled.

As a younger man I towed an 18' stock trailer loaded with up to 6 2000 lb bulls all over the Laramie valley (7000 up to almost 9000 feet elevation) with a F250, manual 5 speed and 300 I-6.

Now I'll tell you, the 4:10 axle ratio was a really important feature in that pickup. We didn't go any place very fast but we always got there.

I'll also remind folks that the 300 I-6 was offered in up to F600's in the 80's.

Gearing is everything in a rig like that. If you have the gears, you can do it.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:32 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Originally Posted by clux
We're really spoiled.

As a younger man I towed an 18' stock trailer loaded with up to 6 2000 lb bulls all over the Laramie valley (7000 up to almost 9000 feet elevation) with a F250, manual 5 speed and 300 I-6.

Now I'll tell you, the 4:10 axle ratio was a really important feature in that pickup.

We didn't go any place very fast but we always got there.

I'll also remind folks that the 300 I-6 was offered in up to F600's in the 80's.

Gearing is everything in a rig like that.
Clux - you are right in that regard - I had a I6 and loved that engine. I guess Ford decided that if they kept making them they would not sell as many trucks. That engine lasted forever.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I don't think very many owners of SRW trucks use their trucks like you are planning. The F250/350 programming has quite a few derating strategies in place to deal with heat. We have quite a few grades here in Arizona where it's pretty easy to hit those limits even with a fairly light 10klb trailer....I am sure the Rockies are even more demanding.

I wish I could say more on the subject but I will have to wait a while longer. I can say that it's no secret that cooling and altitude are the two major limiting factors with the 2011-2014 pickup models at this time.

If you can wait until 2015, the F450 looks to be quite a nice tow vehicle and right up your alley.

Happy Towing!
Hey Shake - I appreciate that info - but if I step up I am gonna pass on the MD and go straight to the Class 8.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:01 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
This thread came up at a really good time for me. After spending a couple of weeks out at the lake in or 30' fifth wheel single slide trailer the wife and I decided it was getting really tight for the six of us and when we got back home we should go and look at some bigger trailers. Well, we found a bigger trailer. She has decided on this Recon tripple slide. Here is the specs on it. I total like the trailer but I afraid it is a bit big for my 250?

2010 Jayco Recon ZX 40D

<TABLE class=rating_box border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD class=rating_value>159</TD><TD class=rating_text>of 275
2010 Toy Hauler RV's</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text align=right>Overall</TD><TD class=rating_values align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=text align=right>Performance</TD><TD class=rating_values align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=text align=right>Quality & Reliability </TD><TD class=rating_values align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=text align=right>Interior</TD><TD class=rating_values align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=text align=right>Overall Value</TD><TD class=rating_values align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- end rating_box -->
  • MSRP: $67,071.00
  • Financing:
  • Type: Toy Hauler
  • Insurance:
<!-- end rating -->

<!-- end intro --><!-- end promo area --><!-- end submenu -->2010 Jayco Recon ZX 40D Specifications

<TABLE class=table_info cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Wheels & Tires: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_1"><TD vAlign=top>Wheels Composition</TD><TD vAlign=top> Steel</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_1"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Axles</TD><TD vAlign=top> 3</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_1"><TD vAlign=top>Rear Tire (Full Spec)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 16 Inch Wheel</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_1"><TD vAlign=top>Spare Tire Location</TD><TD vAlign=top> Exterior Mounted</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Brakes: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_2"><TD vAlign=top>Front Brake Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Not Applicable</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_2"><TD vAlign=top>Rear Brake Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Electric Drum</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Technical Specifications: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Length (ft/m)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 43.42 / 13.2</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Width (in/mm)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 102 / 2590.8</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Height (in/mm)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 159 / 4038.6</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Interior Height (in/mm)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 101 / 2565.4</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Length (ft/ft)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 43</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Length (ft/in)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 5</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Dry Weight (lbs/kg)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 13705 / 6216.6</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 4295 / 1948.2</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>GVWR (lbs/kgs)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 18000 / 8164.8</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 3585 / 1626.2</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Capacities</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Fresh Water Holding Tanks</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Total Fresh Water Tank Capacity (gal/l)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 148 / 560.2</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Total Gray Water Tank Capacity (gal/l)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 63 / 238.5</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Black Water Holding Tanks</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Total Black Water Tank Capacity (gal/l)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 64 / 242.3</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Propane Tank (s)</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Propane Tanks</TD><TD vAlign=top> 2</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_3"><TD vAlign=top>Total Propane Tank Capacity (gal/lbs)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 14.2 / 60</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Exterior: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Body Material</TD><TD vAlign=top> Aluminum</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Sidewall Construction</TD><TD vAlign=top> Fiberglass</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Number of Doors</TD><TD vAlign=top> 2</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Sliding Glass Door</TD><TD vAlign=top> No</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Number of Slideouts</TD><TD vAlign=top> 3</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Power Retractable Slideout</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Number of Awnings</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Awning Length (ft/m)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 16 / 4.9</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Power Retractable Awning</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Screened Room</TD><TD vAlign=top> No</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Leveling Jack Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Front Power / Rear Manual</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Sky Light</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Roof Vents</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Exterior Ladder</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Exterior Shower</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Pass-Thru Storage</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_4"><TD vAlign=top>Exterior Wheel Skirts</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Instrumentation: </TH></TR><TR class="alt2 section_5"><TD vAlign=top>Voltage Meter</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_5"><TD vAlign=top>Fresh Water Holding Tank Gauge</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_5"><TD vAlign=top>Gray Water Holding Tank Gauge</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_5"><TD vAlign=top>Black Water Holding Tank Gauge</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_5"><TD vAlign=top>Trailer Level Gauge</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_5"><TD vAlign=top>Water Pump Power Display</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_5"><TD vAlign=top>Propane Tank Gauge</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Identification: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_6"><TD vAlign=top>Generic Type (Primary)</TD><TD vAlign=top> Toy Hauler</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_6"><TD vAlign=top>Manufacturer Country</TD><TD vAlign=top> USA</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_6"><TD vAlign=top>Introduction Year</TD><TD vAlign=top> 2010</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_6"><TD vAlign=top>Regional Availability</TD><TD vAlign=top> All Regions</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_6"><TD vAlign=top>Display Name</TD><TD vAlign=top> Recon ZX 40D</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Heater & Cooler: </TH></TR><TR class="alt2 section_7"><TD vAlign=top>Air Conditioning Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Automatic</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_7"><TD vAlign=top>Heater Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Automatic</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_7"><TD vAlign=top>Water Heater Tank Capacity (g/l)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 12 / 45.4</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_7"><TD vAlign=top>Water Heater Pump Power Mode</TD><TD vAlign=top> Electrical / Propane</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_7"><TD vAlign=top>Water Heater Tank Bypass</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_7"><TD vAlign=top>Freeze Proof Insulation</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Cargo: </TH></TR><TR class="alt2 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Length (in/mm)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 144 / 3657.6</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Width (in/mm)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 98 / 2489.2</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Height (in/mm)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 101 / 2565.4</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Flooring Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Rubber</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Rear Door Style</TD><TD vAlign=top> Ramp Door</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Tool Chest / Storage Area</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Storage Cabinets</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Tiedown / Tracks</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Cargo Area Auxiliary Gas Tank Capacity (gal/lbs)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 30 / 113.6</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_8"><TD vAlign=top>Diamond Plated Cargo Area Finish</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Other: </TH></TR><TR class="alt2 section_9"><TD vAlign=top>Smoke Detector</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_9"><TD vAlign=top>Carbon Monoxide Detector</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_9"><TD vAlign=top>Propane Alarm</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_9"><TD vAlign=top>Emergency Exit (s)</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Electrical: </TH></TR><TR class="alt2 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Battery Power Converter</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Battery Converter Amps</TD><TD vAlign=top> 80</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Air Conditioning Prewiring</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Cable Prewiring</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Phone Prewiring</TD><TD vAlign=top> No</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Heat Prewiring</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>TV Antenna Prewiring</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Satellite Prewiring</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Washer / Dryer Prewiring</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Exterior Plugs</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_10"><TD vAlign=top>Ground Fault Plugs</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Lights: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_11"><TD vAlign=top>Hitch Lights</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_11"><TD vAlign=top>Exterior Flood Lights</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Warranty: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_12"><TD vAlign=top>Structure Warranty (Months)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 24</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_12"><TD vAlign=top>Basic Warranty (Months)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 24</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Paint & Finish: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_13"><TD vAlign=top>Metallic</TD><TD vAlign=top> No</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_13"><TD vAlign=top>Wallpaper</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_13"><TD vAlign=top>Interior Wood Finish</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_13"><TD vAlign=top>Curtains / Shades</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Audio & Communication: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>Brand Name</TD><TD vAlign=top> Sony</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>Satellite</TD><TD vAlign=top> No</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Radios</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>Speaker Location (s)</TD><TD vAlign=top> Interior / Exterior</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Discs</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>DVD Player</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Televisions</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_14"><TD vAlign=top>Retractable Roof Antenna</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR><TH colSpan=2 align=left> Interior: </TH></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Kitchen / Living Area Flooring Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Carpet / Vinyl</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Kitchen Table Configuration</TD><TD vAlign=top> U-shaped Dinette</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Kitchen Location</TD><TD vAlign=top> Center</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Living Area Location</TD><TD vAlign=top> Center</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Oven Burners</TD><TD vAlign=top> 3</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Oven Depth (in/mm)</TD><TD vAlign=top> 21 / 533.4</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Overhead Fan</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Layout</TD><TD vAlign=top> Oven / Stove</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Microwave Oven</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Refrigerator Size</TD><TD vAlign=top> Mid-Size</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Refrigerator Power Mode</TD><TD vAlign=top> Electric / Propane</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Sink Cover / Cutting Boards</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Sofas</TD><TD vAlign=top> 1</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Sofa Material</TD><TD vAlign=top> Cloth</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Max Sleeping Count</TD><TD vAlign=top> 12</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Bunk Beds</TD><TD vAlign=top> 0</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Double Beds</TD><TD vAlign=top> 0</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Full Size Beds</TD><TD vAlign=top> 0</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Queen Size Beds</TD><TD vAlign=top> 4</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of King Size Beds</TD><TD vAlign=top> 0</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Convertible / Sofa Beds</TD><TD vAlign=top> 2</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Master Bedroom Flooring Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Carpet</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Master Bedroom Door Style</TD><TD vAlign=top> Conventional Door</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Full Size Master Bedroom Closet</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Master Bedroom Mirror Doors</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Master Bedroom Shades / Curtains</TD><TD vAlign=top> Yes</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Master Bedroom Location</TD><TD vAlign=top> Front</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Heated</TD><TD vAlign=top> No</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Bed Spreads</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Number Of Bathrooms</TD><TD vAlign=top> 2</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Bathroom Flooring Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Vinyl</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Bathroom Location</TD><TD vAlign=top> Center</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Toilet Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Porcelain</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Door Type</TD><TD vAlign=top> Plastic / Glass</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Bathroom Sink</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Bathroom Medicine Cabinet</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Bathroom Mirror</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Bathroom Vent / Fan System</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt1 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Sink / Faucet</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR><TR class="alt2 section_15"><TD vAlign=top>Ceiling Fan</TD><TD vAlign=top> Standard</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 06-20-2014, 09:36 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Bk glad you chimed in, that is the reason I stirred this pot a bit even though it was an older thread, - It was directly related to my questions. It doesn't matter on if it is a 7.3, 6.0 or a 6.7 - this is related to towing BIG HEAVY 5vrs, and the guys here do it all the time. The difference's with your proposed rig and mine are that loaded you are at max 18,000 - I am dry at 18,000 plus, the pin weight's are about the same - from what I have gathered here and elsewhere you'll be fine as long as you can stop the weight. Also you didn't mention where you plan on towing, my major concern is that we are going full time and going to be in grades similar to or greater than the Rockies on a continual basis. If it were just the weekend thing south of the big ranges I wouldn't even be wasting anyone's time. I am more concerned with getting my family stranded by hauling this weight up and down big elevations, and my thoughts are do I spend 10k on a dolly, or spend 25k on a decent class 8? I prefer to not buy a semi - so I am still stinkin on it. You know what they say when you don't know what to do - Don't do anything, so here I am, asking questions........

__________________________________________________ _______________

Bk - one more thing - I noticed you mentioned a F250 - I would like to point out that a 250 or 350 with those kind of weights -well - a tag axle/dolly might be a good option for you as well.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
G,<O</O
I live north east of Denver<ST1</ST1 about twenty minutes. During the summer, we usually travel east to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comlake</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">McConaughy</st1:PlaceName> in Nebraska<ST1</ST1. It is just about a three hour drive for me. We do head into the mountains several times a year to various places. When traveling west or east on I70, we have a heck of a climb to the Eisenhower tunnel at 11,158FT above sea level. (Trivia- it is one of the highest tunnels in the world). I wonder how well the truck would handle the load coming down the grades. I run dry as much as possible already. I would need to do several upgrades to the truck before I would even think about talking the mountains or, there is always the option of buying a new truck. <O</O

Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
So have you considered the safety hitch? Seems like you are a perfect candidate based on what you are doing. I am more of a 50/50 candidate wherein I think I might be able to make it work, but I am also leaning towards the fact that I may not have enough truck. I just am having a hard dam time figuring out why I spent so much on a truck to haul only my a$$, This thing should haul this load without problems. I hate the new emissions crap - really mucks up the works.....

Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
I’ve looked at several of the videos for the Safety Hitch system and it looks interesting. We haven’t committed to anything yet. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 06-20-2014, 11:33 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
I’ve looked at several of the videos for the Safety Hitch system and it looks interesting. We haven’t committed to anything yet. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Yea - me too.......

Old 06-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...When traveling west or east on I70, we have a heck of a climb to the Eisenhower tunnel at 11,158FT above sea level....
Jeezus - there's no freaking air. That pin weight is near the limit for a 250, and I'd be worried about brakes.

I'm shopping for stuff with a lower GVWR - like the Keystone Fuzion 331 (I found a 2014 for $60K at Holman Motors). I'm not going to buy new, mind you... but I'm looking for something similar to that model. Total length is 37'

Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
I agree Rich, but then again, we don't have much air here to begin with.

I've looked at the Fuzions on and off for the last couple of years. " They are nice".

Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I've looked at the Fuzions on and off for the last couple of years. " They are nice".
Stinky's going to be a nice truck when I'm finally done with him, so there's no point in going half-way with what he pulls. I'll be shopping for a 5'er in the $25K to $50K range - just so I don't lose more stuff in the general vicinity of my wallet (depreciation on new is a killer). I have found some very nice rigs in that range - a lot of them in the retiree capitol of the planet (AZ). It would not hurt my feelings one bit to have a nice road trip in Stinky to go shopping. My target date is next summer... but that hinges on how long it takes to saddle someone else with my stockpile of stuff.

For those shopping, this web site is worth a look [LINK]

Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
This site has good information on tow vehicle and trailer sizing. They recommend 20% more truck capacity then needed as a safety factor. Tow Vehicle Sizing

Quick Reply: Pulling a Fifth Wheel Camper