Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2014, 02:08 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER View Post
Ok - so now that we have the weight, and the braking issue resolved. Back to the original question if anyone with info on whether or not these trucks can tote that kind of weight up/down the Rockies or a similar grade without major engine or tranny problems?
All day long.

What's one of those tag axle setups cost anyway?
Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Senior User

GMUGNIER is starting off with a positive reputation.
They aint cheap, depending on options - but it seems more cost effective than a class 8 truck, as well as it is better than a mdt as you now have two axles instead of one. They are in the 9k plus range
Old 06-19-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Chiming in... just to be a negative Nancy: One word - "liability". You can be across the street from an accident, and some smart lawyer can find a way to hang some blame on you - because you've exceeded the rated capacity of your vehicle. I get that everybody does it (and I may have to do it too), but everybody on that list can potentially be the victim of a very expensive game of Tag.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:42 AM
Senior User

Yes I have considered that - however the tag axle alone has a weight rating for 30,000lbs - but thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Senior User

CGMKCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CGMKCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Yes I have considered that - however the tag axle alone has a weight rating for 30,000lbs - but thanks for the heads up.
I would look into tandem towing laws of the states you plan on visiting.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 AM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
That's a pretty nice setup. Put a topper on the pickup and you're probably just as aerodynamic as an in the bed hitch.

The only advantage I could see in a dually over the tag axle is the sway stability.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMKCM View Post
I would look into tandem towing laws of the states you plan on visiting.
Because it is a tag axle with 3 points of attachment and not a trailer it is not considered double towing. However - I do have a Class A with double and triple endorsement, just in case.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
That's a pretty nice setup. Put a topper on the pickup and you're probably just as aerodynamic as an in the bed hitch.

The only advantage I could see in a dually over the tag axle is the sway stability.
Clux, right on the money - that is one of the major reasons I have not committed to purchase yet, and of course the drive train issues - is how this got started to begin with - I think I am comfortable that my truck can handle the weight. I have done research to exhaustion on this, however the unknown is always a scary thing. From what I understand - the extra axle and the increased wheelbase actually controls sway much better than just a bed mounted hitch. There is a family that lives in there 5vr and tows with this all the time, they say it is great. But the 5vr that they town is about 5 tons lighter. I dunno - still stinking on it -
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM
ain't wrapped tight

Quote:
Clux, right on the money - that is one of the major reasons I have not committed to purchase yet, and of course the drive train issues - is how this got started to begin with - I think I am comfortable that my truck can handle the weight. I have done research to exhaustion on this, however the unknown is always a scary thing. From what I understand - the extra axle and the increased wheelbase actually controls sway much better than just a bed mounted hitch. There is a family that lives in there 5vr and tows with this all the time, they say it is great. But the 5vr that they town is about 5 tons lighter. I dunno - still stinking on it -
I can see the longer wheelbase helping with sway cornering.

I don't have any statistics but from what I've seen driving up and down the highway, the single biggest factor here in the west causing accidents with these kind of rigs isn't overload, isn't braking ability, and isn't handling on curves. It's the wind.

I don't know if the wheelbase would help with that, just throwing it out there for your consideration.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
I can see the longer wheelbase helping with sway cornering.

I don't have any statistics but from what I've seen driving up and down the highway, the single biggest factor here in the west causing accidents with these kind of rigs isn't overload, isn't braking ability, and isn't handling on curves. It's the wind.

I don't know if the wheelbase would help with that, just throwing it out there for your consideration.
Absolutely wind is a huge factor however its not the only thing that should be considered, after all semi's pull 50' trailers that are 13'6" all the time in heavy winds. I believe center of gravity, weight, and load spread on axles would be the bigger consideration. Also - if there is any wind advisories on the road - common sense should tell you that you can't pull a kite with winds gusting 40+ mph without getting yourself in a challenging situation. But then again if more people had common sense - many rv accidents would be avoided. I am a firm believer that everybody that is towing a 35' or larger trailer should have to have some sort of endorsement on the license to understand the dynamics of what they are doing. Thanks for the observation.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Senior User

CGMKCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CGMKCM is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Because it is a tag axle with 3 points of attachment and not a trailer it is not considered double towing. However - I do have a Class A with double and triple endorsement, just in case.
Tell that to the Troopers in N.C., S.C. and Virginia. The folks that use the Totes argue the same thing but in the end they still get the ticket.

What about length? Several states are 60' maximum, especially in the Northeast?

The 6.7 is a strong engine but the 3.55 gears are the big unknown with the size of load you will be pulling.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMKCM View Post
Tell that to the Troopers in N.C., S.C. and Virginia. The folks that use the Totes argue the same thing but in the end they still get the ticket.

What about length? Several states are 60' maximum, especially in the Northeast?

The 6.7 is a strong engine but the 3.55 gears are the big unknown with the size of load you will be pulling.
A tote is different, a tote is considered a trailer. A tag axle is different entirely, just like a tag axle on a dump truck - it is a part of the frame. But as I indicated earlier - I do have a Class A with double and triple endorsement so even if I get pulled over for some reason I am still legal. The load I will pulling is around 23,000 maybe a little less with about 3600 on the pin. My rear end ratio is 3.73 if I am not mistaken, It is a 2011 6.7 4x4 crew cab.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM
ain't wrapped tight

Quote:
Absolutely wind is a huge factor however its not the only thing that should be considered, after all semi's pull 50' trailers that are 13'6" all the time in heavy winds. I believe center of gravity, weight, and load spread on axles would be the bigger consideration. Also - if there is any wind advisories on the road - common sense should tell you that you can't pull a kite with winds gusting 40+ mph without getting yourself in a challenging situation. But then again if more people had common sense - many rv accidents would be avoided. I am a firm believer that everybody that is towing a 35' or larger trailer should have to have some sort of endorsement on the license to understand the dynamics of what they are doing. Thanks for the observation.
I hear ya.

Not having your bed full of a greasy 5th wheel all the time would be a huge advantage when you're traveling this way, regardless of what you're towing it with. I like it.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
....Back to the original question if anyone with info on whether or not these trucks can tote that kind of weight up/down the Rockies or a similar grade without major engine or tranny problems?
Unless you optioned for a 4.30 gear than I would say no. The cooling systems in those pickup trucks were never designed for 100% duty cycle due to the gear ratio they are running. If you swap in a 4.30 or 4.88 gear then you'll probably be fine provided you are able to manage your throttle input so the engine is producing about 75% of peak HP. The chassis cab trucks seem to do okay with those sorts of loads so there must be a good reason why the programing of those models is different than the pickup trucks.

It all comes down to heat management. Manage the heat and your engine and transmission will last longer.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
Unless you optioned for a 4.30 gear than I would say no. The cooling systems in those pickup trucks were never designed for 100% duty cycle due to the gear ratio they are running. If you swap in a 4.30 or 4.88 gear then you'll probably be fine provided you are able to manage your throttle input so the engine is producing about 75% of peak HP. The chassis cab trucks seem to do okay with those sorts of loads so there must be a good reason why the programing of those models is different than the pickup trucks.

It all comes down to heat management. Manage the heat and your engine and transmission will last longer.
Well If that is the case the F350 SRW's must be having some major issues, as the engine/tranny programming is the same as my F250 and they are rated for the weight. - Also I just checked the ratio on my window sticker and I have the electronic locking rear end - which is the 3.55 - So I was wrong on the ratio. - This is why I am concerned - don't want to drop major bucks on the dolly if the truck cant handle the weight.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
43, 60, big, block, camper, drv, foot, ford, powerstroke, pull, pulling, road, towing, truck, wheel