Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Posting Guru

hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 2003 F250 is only rated for a 12000# Fifth wheel. Gross cargo weight is where you will get killed. Your 250 is not rated for 15 to 20 percent of your trailers gross weight.
you have to count fuel, hitch, people, tool box, dog etc, in to your gross carrying capacity.
I wish I could recommend that you can tow it safely, It is a beautiful rig.

This may help. http://www.wilkinsrv.com/PDFs/2008TowGuide.pdf
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
still plays with trucks

bfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to beholdbfife is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko72 View Post
Here are the specs for that camper, It's pushing it a bit, but It's not a 18k lb trailer.
I also don't know how much pin weight a 250 is rated for.
Franko, look at the Gross weight. Its 18K. dry weight is over 13. I've got that same rig with a slightly different floor plan. It weighs 18.5 rolling over the scales with all our stuff in it and NO water.
Its a heavy rig.

Barney
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Molon Labe

Franko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud ofFranko72 has much to be proud of
sunstatefranko
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfife View Post
Franko, look at the Gross weight. Its 18K. dry weight is over 13. I've got that same rig with a slightly different floor plan. It weighs 18.5 rolling over the scales with all our stuff in it and NO water.
Its a heavy rig.

Barney
After further review Barney I concur...It is too big for a 250. My Creek is about 13,500 loaded with around 2400 lbs on the pin. After I ran a few numbers in my head (that took a while ) I wouldn't want to tug around my unit with anything smaller than what I have now.
A F450 and a toy hauler is in my near future...
Early '99 F350 Lariat 2WD 7.3, BTS Trans w/ 6.0 cooler, BTS tunes, 6637 w/Riffraff cover, 4"MBRP, Isspro EV2 gauges, Ranch Hand, 2"leveling kit. HPx, FRx, Coolant Filter, Hutch,Harpoon, NVK5, Terminator-T500, Rosewood stage 1's, 120 IDM
Frank, PAA#99
B.E.S.T. map
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Go Bills !

danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
The rotor size is important, agreed. (heat,grip and leverage) But i believe it is were the rubber meets the road is more of a factor. A dually just has better footing. I have had the trailer brakes locked up and the truck takes up the rest of what the trailer tires (rubber meets the road) can't do. It sure would be nice to have 4 rubber contact points on the concrete on the back of the truck. Especially when the roads are wet. And besides that, "e" rated tires are what, 3000 lbs(approx) each at max pressure? The 3000 lbs heavy pin box takes up most of 1 tires carrying copacity?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Freshman User

MadogLlewellyn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey this is great info from everyone here.... thank you very much!!!!

I have looked at upgrading too bigger brakes and an exhust brake system.... but by the law my truck is only rated 20k GCWR.... you are right I'm way over my rating.... so can I upgrade my truck class offically with doing upgrades like these? Has anyone done that or can it be done?

Otherwise I need to look for a 7.3L F450 rare truck!!! Cuz I'm not sold on the new engine yet tell after it gets some years under its belt!!!!

Once again everyone has made great points.... the truck will pull it do to the legend of this engine... however the brakes worry me... they are smaller than the newer trucks... axles are the same though! So I know my GAWR is not a worry.... The DRW would be nice insurance but I can live without it would be limited towing.... only for TDYs and some summer trips !
Old 04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Posting Guru

hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hammer65 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Unless you just can't live without the DRV, I think I would shop for a different 5'ver
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM
New User

alexpinca is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford F250 2000, pulling 16k unit 32ft 5th wheel

My truck has pulled me through some steep climbs but there have been a couple of times that I got down to 40 mpr...if you try to pull 20k with this, it better be in top condition or live in Kansas and stay there.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Senior User

GMUGNIER is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this is an old thread but I am in a similar predicament and am going to be towing a DRV 43' 18,500 lbs with 3600 on the pin. has anyone considered the safety hitch with airbags? or is there another thread here that I didn't see. BTW my rig is a 2011 F250 6.7 - the only thing I am worried about is will it pull up the Rockies with that much weight? With the safety hitch I am not concerned with stopping, only with will my engine and tranny hold up?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER View Post
I know this is an old thread but I am in a similar predicament and am going to be towing a DRV 43' 18,500 lbs with 3600 on the pin. has anyone considered the safety hitch with airbags? or is there another thread here that I didn't see. BTW my rig is a 2011 F250 6.7 - the only thing I am worried about is will it pull up the Rockies with that much weight? With the safety hitch I am not concerned with stopping, only with will my engine and tranny hold up?
I would post your question in the 6.7L forum and the towing/trailer/5th wheel forum. The biggest thing that catches my eye at first glance is 3,600lb pin weight. That's about 1,000 pounds + over payload capacity. That is one heavy load
Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM
Postmaster

white Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to beholdwhite Buffalo is a splendid one to behold
Here's the 2011 towing guide:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...ng%20Guide.pdf
Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by white Buffalo View Post
I would post your question in the 6.7L forum and the towing/trailer/5th wheel forum. The biggest thing that catches my eye at first glance is 3,600lb pin weight. That's about 1,000 pounds + over payload capacity. That is one heavy load
Yes it is, however the safety hitch will handle the weight, and the braking - so on the payload I am not concerned. And yes I guess it would be more appropriate to post in the 6.7 section, however I came across this thread in a general google search and because the question was so similar I thought I would chime in. Will the 7.3 engine tranny pull that kind of weight up the Rockies? (And if the 7.3 can do it - it is reasonable to assume a newer engine and tranny could as well?) If someone has hauled in this kind of steep grade situation, with a heavy 5vr I would appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Posting Guru

Y2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER View Post

Please point to the link where this "safety hitch" is marketed.

It sounds like they've figured out a way to defy the laws of physics, and that kind of secret should be held close in the hands of National Security, not running amok in the beds of RV'rs.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
Please point to the link where this "safety hitch" is marketed.

It sounds like they've figured out a way to defy the laws of physics, and that kind of secret should be held close in the hands of National Security, not running amok in the beds of RV'rs.
I didn't want to post the link as I thought some here may think I was trying to advertise. - I am in no way affiliated in any capacity with this company.

Here is the link - The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel
Old 06-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Posting Guru

Y2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud of
Thanks! I've seen that thing in person when "Mr. Truck" (Kent S.) towed it to the horse expo. I won't call the NSA.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
Thanks! I've seen that thing in person when "Mr. Truck" (Kent S.) towed it to the horse expo. I won't call the NSA.
Ok - so now that we have the weight, and the braking issue resolved. Back to the original question if anyone with info on whether or not these trucks can tote that kind of weight up/down the Rockies or a similar grade without major engine or tranny problems?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
43, 60, big, block, camper, drv, foot, ford, powerstroke, pull, pulling, road, towing, truck, wheel