1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Powerstroke 7.3 problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Webasto 9.1KW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke 7.3 problems.

This will be hard to explain in english for me but I'll give it a try...

My -96 powerstroke has started to missbehave latley.
The engine runs great but suddenly it's like the ignition shuts off for a half second then on again...

It can run well for a while, then this problem starts and it happens a fiew times in a row and then it runs as it should again for some time, etc.

I checked the connection to the "solinoid-thingee" that shuts the diesel and that was a bit wet because the diesel filter was leaking. The filtert is fixed now and I changed the contact after drying it out and for a while I thought I fixed the problem but nope.

Is there any other obvious thing I should look at? It feels like there is som bad contact somewhere around that shut-off-solinoid (I dont know the english term for it...).

sorry bout my english.

/Teo

Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you have a bad cam position sensor. (CPS)

Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
DAN-D-DIESEL97
Senior User
what mule said,change cmp sensor 99.9% sure thats it

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well for struggling to say it in English I would say you do a really good job. In fact you do a lot better than some who speak it as their native language! Where are you from?

Does the engine die completely or does it just slow down like you were letting off the throttle?

The way these Powerstroke engines work the injection (fuel) is controlled entirely by the computer (PCM). There is no device that controls the flow of diesel. I am guessing that what was leaking on your truck is the Fuel Filter Switch. It would be on the side of the fuel bowl and just turns on the light that tells you (or is supposed to tell you) that the fuel filter is clogged and needs to be replaced. In any even, that shouldn't have anything to do with the issue you're having.

If the engine wants to die completely (like someone turned the key of) My guess is that you either have a clogged FPR Screen or a bad Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS).

The FPR screen can be cleaned by opening the fuel filter housing and removing the filter. On the passenger side you will see a hole about 1/2" in diameter a little way down from the top of the bowl. There is a screen in there that gets clogged and needs to be open for the fuel system to correctly separate any air in the system. You can cut the cotton off the end of a cotton swab and gently scrape that screen clean, or you can remove the whole assembly and clean it that way. Here is a picture:

Incidentally the round thing screwed into the side of the FPR is the Fuel filter switch I was referring to above.

The other thing that it could be (and actually this is a really good place to start) is that your CPS could be going bad. The CPS signal is required for the PCM to run the engine. If it loses that signal, it WILL NOT RUN. The CPS is located on the front of the engine above the main crank pulley at about the 11 o'clock position. Get one from Ford or International as the ones you get from any where else are complete JUNK and may or may not work at all. The part is about $30 here in the USofA. Here is a picture of that as well:

This one has the water pump off so you can see it really well but that should give you an idea where to look for it.

Good luck and be sure to report back and tell us what you found.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Webasto 9.1KW
Senior User
Thank you DIYMechanic and you other guys for the awesome and detailed info!

It just shuts off like I turned the key off, on, off, on, etc really fast.
And it was just the gasket in the top of the fuel filter that was bad.

I´ll buy the CPS right away and will check the FPR if it's clogged this weekend.
I´ve scratched my small monkey head bloody over this problem but this all make sense.

I´ll get back as soon as I make som progress.

I´m from Sweden btw. One of very fiew 7.3-geeks around here.

/Teo

Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Sounds like a plan. Welcome to the site! And good luck. Be sure and let us know how it turns out. The satisfaction that it is working is the only payment we get, you know?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:42 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Get a CPS from ford or international

Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Webasto 9.1KW
Senior User
Ordered the CPS yesterday and got it today. It was a bit tricky to install but I got it in place and it runs like a dream now!

Is it just my imagination or is it possible that it runs smoother now?

Thanks guys!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:55 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
That's not your imagination at all! That sensor makes all the difference in the world. Now if you're really smart, and don't want to get stranded on the side of the road somewhere, you will order another one and put it in the glove box.

Glad you got it running!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Webasto 9.1KW
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That's not your imagination at all! That sensor makes all the difference in the world. Now if you're really smart, and don't want to get stranded on the side of the road somewhere, you will order another one and put it in the glove box.

Glad you got it running!
Allready ahead of you. Bought one on ebay as soon as I read your comment but called my local US-ford parts dealer the morning after in cheer impatientness and they had one home and that's the one I installed today

Last spring I installed a MBRP 4" exhaust and I had to go berserk with a crowbar to clear for the down pipe. But when I´m in reverse or turn left the
down pipe manage to reach the body anyway and the whole cab rumbles.

Now after I installed the CPS that roaring is all gone! Feels like the engine runs smoother so that the down pipe stays in place.

/Happy camper!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Physics Outlaw
New User

Glad you got it running!
This is my first Ford pick-up truck and I am already having this issue.

I am having the same problem except that I have already been stranded on the side of a two lane country road just last night. I will replace the CPS, clean the air seperator screen, load test the alternator and batteries.

Weird thing is that if I am lucky enough to get her to full operating temperature, she doesn't shut off anymore and runs like a "raped ape".

I found a supplier on eBay listing the CPS for my '96 7.3L as part # DU-87 / F4TZ-12K073-C by Motorcraft ($28.99) & free shipping

Just want to make sure this is the right part.

Thanks for all that each of you do!

Last edited by Physics Outlaw; 04-24-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: update part info
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
The CPS is, unfortunately one of the weak links in this injection system. It is all electronically controlled and without the signal from the CPS it just shuts down.

As far as the part numbers, here is what I came up with :
Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
(Ford) F6TZ-12K073-A 94-96
(Ford) F7TZ-12K073-A 97+ >>
(Ford) F4TZ-12K073-C 94-96 cheap>>
(Ford) F7TZ-12K073-B 97-03 cheap
(International) 1821720C99 (below engine 375548)
(International) 1825899C93 (above engine 375548)
(International) 1807339C92 (DT466 CPS, reported to advance timing, and stronger signal)

If you go back to the main page of the forum and click on the forum that says, "Mod / Tech / Diagnostic FAQ", then click on the thread listed there as "PSD part numbers". This is a complete listing of a bunch of pertinent Ford and International part numbers for our engines. The thread used to be listed on teh main page so it was easy to see, but the site Mods reorganized things a few weeks back and grouped everything under that one sticky.

The CPS' are not all equal so be sure to get the right one for the year of truck you have, and get the latest version as well. The one you listed is the one I DO NOT think you want. If you can find a F6TZ-12K073-A it would be a better one to use. If you can't find one, then the one you listed would still be better than getting one from a chain parts store, but the "A" sensor would be better. That or get one from an international dealer.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Physics Outlaw
New User
Smile

"As far as the part numbers, here is what I came up with :
Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS)
(Ford) F6TZ-12K073-A 94-96
(Ford) F7TZ-12K073-A 97+ >>
(Ford) F4TZ-12K073-C 94-96 cheap>>
(Ford) F7TZ-12K073-B 97-03 cheap
(International) 1821720C99 (below engine 375548)
(International) 1825899C93 (above engine 375548)
(International) 1807339C92 (DT466 CPS, reported to advance timing, and stronger signal)"

Nate,

Here is what I found for my '96 F250:

(Ford) F6TZ-12K073-A 94-96 (listed as a synchronizer assy (CMP) but looks the same) price: $80-$94)
(Ford) F4TZ-12K073-C 94-96 ($28.99)
(International) 1821720C99 (below engine 375548) ($27.95)
(International) 1825899C93 (above engine 375548) ($27.95)
(International) 1807339C92 (DT466 CPS, reported to advance timing, and stronger signal)" ($200.00 from Australia)

*didn't check the ones for '97+ due to owning a '96

The A version is what I read you recommend.

I had already ordered the Ford C version before I saw your post. I suppose I am stuck with it for now. I will give this one a try and report back.

I only use my truck occasionally on weekends to haul stuff for the farm and to/from supply stores.

Thanks again Nate!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah give the "C" a shot, It may serve you just fine. Some seem to have no issue with them, other have all kinds of trouble.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Physics Outlaw
New User
Thumbs up

Yeah give the "C" a shot, It may serve you just fine. Some seem to have no issue with them, other have all kinds of trouble.
I finished installing the "C" today. Runs like a top (fingers crossed it continues). Here are some photos:

Quick Reply: Powerstroke 7.3 problems.