Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Junior User

Spyderjohn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brake booster size

Finally getting around to pulling the old single pot master off of my '66 slick.

I'm adding a front disc setup from a '79 but don't have the '79 master cylinder and booster. I seem to recall that the '79 had a fairly large (think 11") booster so I'm thinking about buying one of these.... 1957-1972 Ford Truck 8" Brake booster 1 1/8" bore master cylinder w/valve | eBay

So a coupla questions arise....
1. Is it a huge deal to change booster size in this application?
2. How critical is it to match the master cylinder and brake booster to the calipers?
3. Am I correct in that the booster size dictates the pressure to the calipers and if so is my answer dependent upon what I intend to haul with the truck?

a bit more clarity of the configuration, Front disc: '79 , rear drums: '66

Thanks folks!

Last edited by Spyderjohn; 04-17-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior User

Scifi266 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say if at all possible just get the master cylinder for a 79 just so that you know that you staying within the original application
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Elder User

OldHarley has a good reputation on FTE.OldHarley has a good reputation on FTE.OldHarley has a good reputation on FTE.
The '66 Bendix vacuum booster in F100"s was 7", which was matched to the '66 drum/drum setup. M/C had a 1" bore. Bore size also affects braking, altho' in 1966 both manual and power assist brakes used the 1"

Booster got larger as years went by. There have been several articles written on later model truck and hot rod forums about matching booster size with braking capability at the wheels.

With regard to booster size, remember if you get too large, esp. with a 352 V-8, you will have a hard time getting the left valve cover off, altho, you can probably put that 8" on there and get by.

As I recall, a dual diaphragm 8" yields same power as a 9" single

2007 F150 Harley-Davidson Black/Orange
1966 F100 Custom Cab, 352 V-8, Ford 3 speed manual
1941 Harley-Davidson WLD
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1956, 1961, booster, bore, break, cylinder, f100, ford, master, size, truck