6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 F250 High Pressure Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Sugars Pop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F250 High Pressure Fuel Pumps

Will spend another $4000 today for the fourth HPFP on a truck that just has 181,000 miles. According to the Senior Diesel Tech at the dealership the pumps are lasting on the average 60,000- 70,000 miles and that concurs with my experience of failures at 50,000, 106,000 and 181,000 miles.
Not to mention replacing the radiator, transmission issues, replacing the the tie rod ends etc at 130,000 miles on a 2WD ie highway miles only.
Planned on trading the truck in by the end of the year so I was not expecting to drop another $4000 for this Lemon. After owning one Explorer, two Expeditions and now a second F250 SD, since 1994, I will be moving on and try my luck with another manufacturer. Talked to the Ford Cutomer assistance group three times about the last failure and they said "Too Bad, your warranty has expired".
The 6.4 was a bust from day one and it's a shame they will not work with loyal customers to keep them happy.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM
btm991
Senior User
If I were you I sure as hell wouldn't be buying another stock hpfp. Seems like you've had some bad luck as many have had with the 6.4. So maybe it's not my business but you may want to look into a different hpfp if they're available

Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Sugars Pop
New User
Unfortunately the Dealership is the only place I know of in Houston that can remove the cab to replace them and they will only use which ever brand is stocked in the parts dept.
Should beat the mileage criteria for the next failure if I trade it in at year end but the poor soul that buys this truck will have to deal with it. Ford admits they have a problem that's why they switched to the 6.7 for 2011.
I googled 6.4 HPFP and it's unbelievable of the stories I read- one guy had three new engines under warranty etc......................

Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by btm991
If I were you I sure as hell wouldn't be buying another stock hpfp. Seems like you've had some bad luck as many have had with the 6.4. So maybe it's not my business but you may want to look into a different hpfp if they're available
I'm not aware of any other HPFP that will drop in ?!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sugars Pop
Unfortunately the Dealership is the only place I know of in Houston that can remove the cab to replace them and they will only use which ever brand is stocked in the parts dept.
Should beat the mileage criteria for the next failure if I trade it in at year end but the poor soul that buys this truck will have to deal with it. Ford admits they have a problem that's why they switched to the 6.7 for 2011.
I googled 6.4 HPFP and it's unbelievable of the stories I read- one guy had three new engines under warranty etc......................
Why did you're HPFP's fail? I've heard of plenty of people going farther than you on their first pump.
They switched the design in 2011 for reasons other than to hide a high pressure fuel pump issue. HPFP issues still exists, in the 6.7 and other brands as well. Usually a water or fuel issue.

When I hear stories about guys getting multiple engines in a row, I start thinking either this is lottery odds, or it's something HE did to the truck, maybe by accident, like fueling from a nasty farm fuel tank with unknown water in it. Maybe from never changing the filters.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Sugars Pop
New User
Honestly I don't know why the first two failed. Sr. Diesel Tech said last week most of the time the regulator inside fails and he's convinced that is what occurred to mine this time.
If an after market company does not start making an improved version soon it's going to be an issue for all 6.4 owners at some point.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
The pump will last a whole lot longer then any of us will be driving the thing. Unless you have water or a vcv failure.

Water is a culprit in any of the modern diesels that use hpfp's.

So if you don't want to deal with the potential problem...then you need to buy pre-2008.

Oh btw....I am on my orginal pump at 68K and 1740 hours...alot of heavy towing as well so I go thru alot of fuel.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:13 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Going on 109K for me. It has been tuned at 1 level or another from 125HP DPF-on tunes to 310HP DPF delete tunes almost the whole time. Maybe the 1st 10K at stock settings. I think there is a fuel issue with yours. Maybe just bad luck too. Do you use an additive?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
The fourth one? WOW...

Religiously maintaining the water separator (at least monthly), Ford Fuel Treatment and an AirDog/FASS would go a long way to preventing fuel contamination issues and HPFP replacement.

Big fan of using truck stops too or anywhere there's a good turnover of the fuel in the tank(s). My oil company has in-line filters on every pump with the date it was changed written on it with a Sharpie...and I'm the guy that reminds them to change it!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Sugars Pop
New User
Technician assured me yesterday when I picked the truck up the feul system was clean ie no rust, no water and yes I use a feul additive about evry 2nd or 3rd tank ie weekly.The issue is Ford no longer makes HPFP's for the 6.4. I asked for the old pump yesterday and they said there is a $150 core charge and I said WTF, you put remanufactured pumps on these trcuks they said YES. So you pay $1000 for a rebuilt pump so buyer beware. Techinician said they are replacing 3-4 per week in Tomball Texas and the average life expectancy of the rebuilt units is about 60,000 miles. some Tech's can replace it by removng the transmission but most remove the cab since the labor is already included in th eprice for cab removal. BTW yesterday when I walked through the shop to talk to him, there were 4 F250's with Cabs off in the shop. Love my truck but unfortunately it will be time for me to move on in the next few months based on the Tech's recommendation and buy something else.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Yours has got to be the worst/most extreme case of HPFP I've read about. I've NEVER heard that the HPFPs were only good for 60K miles either, and that doesn't make any sense otherwise Ford would have been paying out the ying-yang to replace those on trucks that were under warranty. Something's definitely not adding up, except your repair costs and that's just completely unacceptable. You didn't mention if your truck is modified but after the second one failed I would have been on the phone to Ford Corporate in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't blame you in the least for moving on either. That's an unbelievable amount of money to "maintain" your truck. Something is most definitely up...

Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
There are plenty of 6.4's with way over 200 k miles that are on the original pump.

There is obviously something else going on.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I opt for bad fuel. A source that is not providing the lubricity that is required.

Also what additive is the op using...could be a factor as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I opt for bad fuel. A source that is not providing the lubricity that is required.

Also what additive is the op using...could be a factor as well.
Originally Posted by parkland
There are plenty of 6.4's with way over 200 k miles that are on the original pump.

There is obviously something else going on.
^^^ This. What they're saying. I only run Ford diesel fuel treatment (summer and winter) but maybe there's some goofy additive that shouldn't be going in there. CR FI can be extremely contaminant sensitive, and oh so pricey (case in point) come service time.

Curious if the OP religiously fills up at the same service/fuel station? That could be a direction to point a finger in. Not trying to start something, there's just something obviously way out of whack here.

But if contamination is the issue, given the frequency of replacement, wouldn't Ford pull a fuel sample and/or check the filters? What's the warranty on the reman'd pump? Parts/labor...?

I'd be beside myself if I were in the OP's position, and I'd likewise be looking to get another truck soonest...and based on what's happened, it might not have a blue oval on it.

Quick Reply: 2008 F250 High Pressure Fuel Pumps