Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Low fuel pressure

Well driving home today I happened to notice my fuel pressure was reading 32 psi just cruising down a slight grade. I let off the pedal and it shot up to 38 psi. I stomped on it and it dropped to 9 psi before I let off.

With all my previous fuel pressure issues, I immediately started trying to figure out what was wrong in my mind and planning all my courses of action for when I got home. I was ready to tear everything apart by the time I got home thinking how this was going to be a long night, but I remembered this fellow named Clux who reminded me to check the simple stuff first before I started pulling things apart several years ago when I had a small oil leak.

So if you see Clux wandering around these parts, rep him for me. All of my fuel pressure woes had me jumping to conclusions, but I went ahead and checked for anything dripping first, then checked my pre-pump filter second. One look at the pre-pump filter told me all I needed to know.

I got a bad batch of fuel somewhere and the thing was plugged almost solid. Swapped the filter and fuel pressure shot back up to normal. Pressure was fine this morning, and at some point driving around today. Not really sure when it dropped, but the filter isn't but a few months old. The one before it lasted over a year.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And for those of you that haven't done the in tank mods, it's worth moving that up on your list of things to do. 5 min. changing my inline filter sure beats having to drop the tank before going to work tomorrow.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Senior User

landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.landmobile has a good reputation on FTE.
My in-tank mod kit and filter arrived from Strictly Diesel today, hope to get it installed tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Post Fiend

DieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to beholdDieselCamper01 is a splendid one to behold
Haha! Good job Chris. It is easy to start thinking the worst right away. Congrats on an easy fix for a change.

2001 F350 Lariat CC LB 4X4, Various mods
http://www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Good story and good advice.
I need to drop the tanks on my trucks....I have two kits in my garage still, just havent gotten around to it yet. I tried to drop the tank on my wife's truck one weekend but I couldn't get the filler hose off of the neck so I figured it was a sign to pack it up and try another day.
Beer-30 started early that day...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Postmaster

riverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to allriverrat41 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
Well driving home today I happened to notice my fuel pressure was reading 32 psi just cruising down a slight grade. I let off the pedal and it shot up to 38 psi. I stomped on it and it dropped to 9 psi before I let off.

With all my previous fuel pressure issues, I immediately started trying to figure out what was wrong in my mind and planning all my courses of action for when I got home. I was ready to tear everything apart by the time I got home thinking how this was going to be a long night, but I remembered this fellow named Clux who reminded me to check the simple stuff first before I started pulling things apart several years ago when I had a small oil leak.

So if you see Clux wandering around these parts, rep him for me. All of my fuel pressure woes had me jumping to conclusions, but I went ahead and checked for anything dripping first, then checked my pre-pump filter second. One look at the pre-pump filter told me all I needed to know.

I got a bad batch of fuel somewhere and the thing was plugged almost solid. Swapped the filter and fuel pressure shot back up to normal. Pressure was fine this morning, and at some point driving around today. Not really sure when it dropped, but the filter isn't but a few months old. The one before it lasted over a year.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And for those of you that haven't done the in tank mods, it's worth moving that up on your list of things to do. 5 min. changing my inline filter sure beats having to drop the tank before going to work tomorrow.
I thought you might have lifted the bed up again and pinched the hose.
02 F-350 4x4 Auto ,David Lott Tunes, 4''Exhaust, 6637w/Pete's Cover, Crossover, AIH Delete, Foil Delete, Garrett 38R, Ped Gutted, Riffraff FRX ,Tugger Kit, Isspro Gauges, CCV, Recon smoke cab lights, Camo seat covers, Replacement Bumpers, Hutch/Harpoon ,Cold A/C Mod, True Cool ,Bellowed Pipes,HO injectors,T-500.
2012 F350 4x4 Auto FX4
Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Junior User

brushfit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

Yep, mine is still on the bench too!! That is a good argument for gettin it done!!
wastegate mod,riffraff plenum boots, got my intank mod supplies just need a few minutes...saving for the 4"
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Posting Guru

trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
Chris, like you said, with your previous issues it would be hard not to jump to conclusions! Glad it was simple.
Greg, I had to drop mine a second time, and finally got the hoses off of the filler neck. A dull tipped screwdriver and some silicone spray finally got them apart.
I had taken them apart closer to the tank, and didn't get them tight enough when going back in. Leaked a little.
01 F250 CC 4x4 SB Lariat 7.3 226,000, 02 headlights, ELC coolant,Aero turbine,gp led,DS AT & coolant filter,GS quad pillar tt,boost,pyro,fuel psi,AIH delete,RR Hpx,real back up lights,disable switch, CCV, Hutch/Harpoon, AIS, Helwig rear sway, Air Lift, DP F5, Ford alum. diff cover,WW, HD4R100, 6.0 cooler, Marinco mod, Racor strainer, bellows,
'99 Arctic fox 29 5E (30')
Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Same thing happened to me about a month ago....

I got a bad batch of fuel from a Shell, filed a complaint, and they told me to stick it.

Had it not been for the pre-pump filter, I would've been out a set of injectors.
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Studded, Deleted, Flo-Pro'd, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood, sweat, and tears by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Posting Guru

JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Same thing happened to me about a month ago....

I got a bad batch of fuel from a Shell, filed a complaint, and they told me to stick it.

Had it not been for the pre-pump filter, I would've been out a set of injectors.
would the fuel bowl filter not catch it?
2.5" leveling kit, F-350 rear blocks, Remote start, AFE II, 4" turbo back, Riffraff wheel, HFO, T-5 hpop, FRx, HPx, 50 cent mod, CCV mod, Hutch, Harpoon, 20" Diamos wrapped in 305 NITTOS, Stage 1.5 30% Single shot, Hydra with tunes from Gearhead.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Aw, shucks. You give me too much credit.

I don't know what pre-pump filter you're running, but that's the reason I removed the little in-line see through filter and put something way more substantial for my pre-pump. Mine was plugging with wax (gelling) when it would get below 10* back before I did the regulated return.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
Aw, shucks. You give me too much credit.

I don't know what pre-pump filter you're running, but that's the reason I removed the little in-line see through filter and put something way more substantial for my pre-pump. Mine was plugging with wax (gelling) when it would get below 10* back before I did the regulated return.
I don't think I give you too much credit. You've got a ton of knowledge and are plenty helpful.

And don't worry about the wax thing for me. If it gets below 10 deg. here, I ain't goin nowhere. The fuel can just gell up for all I care. Heck, I plug the truck in when it drops below 40 at night so the heater works faster in the morning.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
Quote:
I don't think I give you too much credit. You've got a ton of knowledge and are plenty helpful.

And don't worry about the wax thing for me. If it gets below 10 deg. here, I ain't goin nowhere. The fuel can just gell up for all I care. Heck, I plug the truck in when it drops below 40 at night so the heater works faster in the morning.
Well, I'm flattered. But sometimes we all just need reminded what we already know. I certainly don't know anything that a hundred other guys here know.

But back to the filter. Those little inline glass filters just don't have much capacity when you do get something bad going on. I can imagine plugging one multiple times on a single tank of bad fuel.

Not for me.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Posting Guru

trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.trekbasso has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clux View Post
Well, I'm flattered. But sometimes we all just need reminded what we already know. I certainly don't know anything that a hundred other guys here know.

But back to the filter. Those little inline glass filters just don't have much capacity when you do get something bad going on. I can imagine plugging one multiple times on a single tank of bad fuel.

Not for me.
So, what do you use for your filter? And any issues with it not able to pull fuel through? I know some have had to use a pre filter pump, but is that really necessary?
Thanks.
01 F250 CC 4x4 SB Lariat 7.3 226,000, 02 headlights, ELC coolant,Aero turbine,gp led,DS AT & coolant filter,GS quad pillar tt,boost,pyro,fuel psi,AIH delete,RR Hpx,real back up lights,disable switch, CCV, Hutch/Harpoon, AIS, Helwig rear sway, Air Lift, DP F5, Ford alum. diff cover,WW, HD4R100, 6.0 cooler, Marinco mod, Racor strainer, bellows,
'99 Arctic fox 29 5E (30')
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
ain't wrapped tight

I have a Carter lift pump so no I don't have any problem pushing fuel through it.
Click the image to open in full size.

It's the factory filter from a 2000 Dodge Cummins that a friend of mine was going to throw away because he broke the water drain off it. I tapped the drain hole, put a needle valve in it and hung it on the frame after the pre-pump pump.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM
Senior User

DieselDowdy is starting off with a positive reputation.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000785963664#!/bldowdy
I had fuel issues for a bit I ordered the kit from strictly diesel got it some time last week or so ...first off the quality ........amazing .....and the kit went together really nicely overall I was really impressed with everything about the kit....I can't explain how easy easily this kit went together its almost idiot proof.....
3 wheelers are like cigarettes, fatal and unsafe, yet satisfying, addictive, and expensive.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1996, 49, 58l, 60, 99, bfife, expedition, f150, f250, fuel, good, illinois, low, pressure, signs, symptoms, truck