Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Low fuel pressure

Well driving home today I happened to notice my fuel pressure was reading 32 psi just cruising down a slight grade. I let off the pedal and it shot up to 38 psi. I stomped on it and it dropped to 9 psi before I let off.

With all my previous fuel pressure issues, I immediately started trying to figure out what was wrong in my mind and planning all my courses of action for when I got home. I was ready to tear everything apart by the time I got home thinking how this was going to be a long night, but I remembered this fellow named Clux who reminded me to check the simple stuff first before I started pulling things apart several years ago when I had a small oil leak.

So if you see Clux wandering around these parts, rep him for me. All of my fuel pressure woes had me jumping to conclusions, but I went ahead and checked for anything dripping first, then checked my pre-pump filter second. One look at the pre-pump filter told me all I needed to know.

I got a bad batch of fuel somewhere and the thing was plugged almost solid. Swapped the filter and fuel pressure shot back up to normal. Pressure was fine this morning, and at some point driving around today. Not really sure when it dropped, but the filter isn't but a few months old. The one before it lasted over a year.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And for those of you that haven't done the in tank mods, it's worth moving that up on your list of things to do. 5 min. changing my inline filter sure beats having to drop the tank before going to work tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My in-tank mod kit and filter arrived from Strictly Diesel today, hope to get it installed tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha! Good job Chris. It is easy to start thinking the worst right away. Congrats on an easy fix for a change.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Good story and good advice.
I need to drop the tanks on my trucks....I have two kits in my garage still, just havent gotten around to it yet. I tried to drop the tank on my wife's truck one weekend but I couldn't get the filler hose off of the neck so I figured it was a sign to pack it up and try another day.
Beer-30 started early that day...

Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Originally Posted by F350-6
Well driving home today I happened to notice my fuel pressure was reading 32 psi just cruising down a slight grade. I let off the pedal and it shot up to 38 psi. I stomped on it and it dropped to 9 psi before I let off.

With all my previous fuel pressure issues, I immediately started trying to figure out what was wrong in my mind and planning all my courses of action for when I got home. I was ready to tear everything apart by the time I got home thinking how this was going to be a long night, but I remembered this fellow named Clux who reminded me to check the simple stuff first before I started pulling things apart several years ago when I had a small oil leak.

So if you see Clux wandering around these parts, rep him for me. All of my fuel pressure woes had me jumping to conclusions, but I went ahead and checked for anything dripping first, then checked my pre-pump filter second. One look at the pre-pump filter told me all I needed to know.

I got a bad batch of fuel somewhere and the thing was plugged almost solid. Swapped the filter and fuel pressure shot back up to normal. Pressure was fine this morning, and at some point driving around today. Not really sure when it dropped, but the filter isn't but a few months old. The one before it lasted over a year.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. And for those of you that haven't done the in tank mods, it's worth moving that up on your list of things to do. 5 min. changing my inline filter sure beats having to drop the tank before going to work tomorrow.
I thought you might have lifted the bed up again and pinched the hose.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Yep, mine is still on the bench too!! That is a good argument for gettin it done!!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, like you said, with your previous issues it would be hard not to jump to conclusions! Glad it was simple.
Greg, I had to drop mine a second time, and finally got the hoses off of the filler neck. A dull tipped screwdriver and some silicone spray finally got them apart.
I had taken them apart closer to the tank, and didn't get them tight enough when going back in. Leaked a little.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Same thing happened to me about a month ago....

I got a bad batch of fuel from a Shell, filed a complaint, and they told me to stick it.

Had it not been for the pre-pump filter, I would've been out a set of injectors.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Same thing happened to me about a month ago....

I got a bad batch of fuel from a Shell, filed a complaint, and they told me to stick it.

Had it not been for the pre-pump filter, I would've been out a set of injectors.
would the fuel bowl filter not catch it?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Aw, shucks. You give me too much credit.

I don't know what pre-pump filter you're running, but that's the reason I removed the little in-line see through filter and put something way more substantial for my pre-pump. Mine was plugging with wax (gelling) when it would get below 10* back before I did the regulated return.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:21 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
Aw, shucks. You give me too much credit.

I don't know what pre-pump filter you're running, but that's the reason I removed the little in-line see through filter and put something way more substantial for my pre-pump. Mine was plugging with wax (gelling) when it would get below 10* back before I did the regulated return.
I don't think I give you too much credit. You've got a ton of knowledge and are plenty helpful.

And don't worry about the wax thing for me. If it gets below 10 deg. here, I ain't goin nowhere. The fuel can just gell up for all I care. Heck, I plug the truck in when it drops below 40 at night so the heater works faster in the morning.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
clux
Post Fiend
I don't think I give you too much credit. You've got a ton of knowledge and are plenty helpful.

And don't worry about the wax thing for me. If it gets below 10 deg. here, I ain't goin nowhere. The fuel can just gell up for all I care. Heck, I plug the truck in when it drops below 40 at night so the heater works faster in the morning.
Well, I'm flattered. But sometimes we all just need reminded what we already know. I certainly don't know anything that a hundred other guys here know.

But back to the filter. Those little inline glass filters just don't have much capacity when you do get something bad going on. I can imagine plugging one multiple times on a single tank of bad fuel.

Not for me.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by clux
Well, I'm flattered. But sometimes we all just need reminded what we already know. I certainly don't know anything that a hundred other guys here know.

But back to the filter. Those little inline glass filters just don't have much capacity when you do get something bad going on. I can imagine plugging one multiple times on a single tank of bad fuel.

Not for me.
So, what do you use for your filter? And any issues with it not able to pull fuel through? I know some have had to use a pre filter pump, but is that really necessary?
Thanks.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
clux
Post Fiend
I have a Carter lift pump so no I don't have any problem pushing fuel through it.

It's the factory filter from a 2000 Dodge Cummins that a friend of mine was going to throw away because he broke the water drain off it. I tapped the drain hole, put a needle valve in it and hung it on the frame after the pre-pump pump.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:45 AM
DieselDowdy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had fuel issues for a bit I ordered the kit from strictly diesel got it some time last week or so ...first off the quality ........amazing .....and the kit went together really nicely overall I was really impressed with everything about the kit....I can't explain how easy easily this kit went together its almost idiot proof.....

Quick Reply: Low fuel pressure