Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Old Green Ford Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Old Green Ford Project

Well with ya'lls help in the forums I have already gotten off to a good start on my truck. Now that I have my 25 plus posts I can share some images and history of the truck. I bought the truck used in 95 with like 40K miles on it. Within a few years it started getting the torque converter shudder famous for that model. Other than that this truck has carried my family and I through alot of crap amd so now I feel like I owe something back to the family workhorse.

I am open to any suggestions you guys may have to improve the truck but stay close to stock and no to any motor swaps I love my in line 6.

What I have done last year to date.
1)My cousin in law and I rebuilt the transmission with all the 95 and up updates with the exception of a new pump. I chose to do some pump modifications to improve pump flow instead.
2)All new U-joints and carrier bearing in the drive train
3)New mags and tires American Racing Outlaw II's with Kuhmo tires
4)3G Alternator upgrade
5)Hellwig 2500lb load leveling springs
6)Biggest transmission cooler I could find
7)5th wheel rails (I bought a small 5th wheel to take to state parks in my area a couple of times a year)
8)New fuel pumps and sending units in both tanks (Pulled the bed for this onbe)

What is to come
1)New paint job started sanding the old chips and clear coat off
2)New ranch Hand bumpers front and rear
3)New Mirrors
4)New weather stripping including door track felts and rear window.
5)New exhaust from the manifolds back
6)Maybe do an injector cleaning from the thread I read in here if I can get enough data to convince me it will improve my fuel economy or performance.

Amd lastly some pics of the truck.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM
cckruse31
Freshman User
Nice I like the truck mine looks some what similar has the regular cab and bed with the green and white paint, like those wheels to my are very similar might have to subscribe to this!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
I am looking at two toning it in the classic sense for this truck. I plan on using PPG tri coat paint from their vibrance series in an Emerald Green with a wide stripie down the sides in probably a pearl white. I would also love to find the bench seats that came with the high backs and the flip down center console. One thing this truck never had was drink holders. I hate looking for a place to set my coffee or beer.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM
cckruse31
Freshman User
Yeah i hear ya on the drinks...i have a great bench seat that could sit three and it has an arm rest that will flip down but only one drink holder that sits on the floor by the shifter, other than that i love the truck has a bit of rust that i will probably look into fixing, but i love the classic look and your truck will have the exact paint job that mine has it is a great and very classic look.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:05 PM
cckruse31
Freshman User
Is this your daily driver to or just a side project truck?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Sweet truck. Subscribing!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
This is my daily driver so when the kids are in school I can't do long term projects. My son comes home from college in a couple of weeks, and daughter gets out of school in the same time span ao I will have 2 extra vehicles around the house and thats when I will start the long term projects. First I will probably address the low oil pressure by jacking up the motor and replacing the oil pump. Probably won't be completely done until next year.

I forgot to mention I put a really niuce siound system in with 2 JL Audio 10w1v2 subs mounted inside the rear seat. I'll take some pictures this eveniong when I get home.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 PM
cckruse31
Freshman User
awesome man yeah i will probably start a thread like this when i have the time and money this summer to mess with it...and i might needs some tips when i put in a new sounds system, it has a cd player already but i want a new one and some new speakers

Old 04-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Here is the stereo system. There is little or no hidden space in these trucks so I am out of options on the amp. If anyone has better ideas I'd LOVE to relocate it. I thought maybe if I got a set of bucket seats and a console I could move it inside the console. I used all the existing soeaker locations and sizes. In the rear I have Alpine 4x10 coaxial speakers and I believe the fronts are Alpine coaxial 6" speakers. The subs I hollowed out some of the padding and the springs from the rear seat and built a sub box on the frame then stretched the seat with all the padding I could over the box.

This is the seat in the normal position.

This is the seat turned over.

This is the amp for the subs, I just power the 4x10's from the head unit.

And the head unit is just a plain jane Alpine.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey the Alpine 6 CD changer in my Bronc looks almost like that without the ****. Although the display don't work. I printed out a 22 page manual on it off line. And I barely can figure out how to turn it on and change CD's. The OP had an Amp in it but it took up most of the cargo bay with the massive speakers. He kept that. They do work well for not skipping.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM
terryknight
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to see you are giving the old girl some love

Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Well finally catching up again with life and all and back on The Old Green Ford. Added cruise control this weekend and looking to paint within the next 4-6 weeks if all goes well. Sons home from college and Daughter is out of High School so I am stuck at home and bored again.

Cruise Control Thread

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-control.html

And pics. Only two pics because it is insanely easy. Parts came from the local Pick N Pull for 24 dollars total. This was half price weekend. All necessary wiring was already there. I feel like an idiot for not picking this low hanging fruit earlier.

This picture is the servo controller.

This is the linkage. To get past the pressure switch in the Master Cylinder I just took the switch off the donor truck and plugged it in. Seeing as it will never see and pressure it will never turn off the cruise. However I like things to work correctly and thus will someday buy a new Master Cylinder with the port.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Went to the Junkyard Saturday and picked up a pair of bucket seats and a center console, got them installed Sunday with some Realtree Camo covers. I lost my USB cable so pics will come tonight or tomorrow. Hoping to go to paint this week or next, been having trouble getting some booth time.

Console mounting holes are marked under the carpet with a circle and a center punch in the middle so it mounted easy enough. Seats were another problem so you all dont make my mistakes when you pull from your donor truck make sure and get VERY GOOD measurements. Seats had brackets welded to the body structure of the donor truck so I improvised with 2" pieces of 2" flat bar drilled out as washers under the truck. I will post all the pics tonight or tomorrow.

On a side note if any of you live in the DFW area send me a PM and lets hook up for a beer.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Ok as promised here are the pics.

First is the pic of my new babies on a dolly after a couple of hours sweatng like crazy pulling them. While I was there I found a 96 with the 4.9 and MAF. Thank god I didn't have any help and I was hotter than HECK or I'd be asking forgiveness again instead of permission.

The next link is of my 2" flat bar washers I made to reenforce the floor around where the bolts go through.

This picture is of the only damage on these seats. They are truly in near perfect condition for coming out of a 92. I have a Masonic Lodge friend that owns an upholstery shop so when I am done painting I will carpet and reupholster.

Next are my babies installed with my temporary seat covers. These look sweet and I may upholster in this pattern but thats up for grabs the old lady already accuses me of acting like a teenager.

This is of my seats with the passenger seat laid back. There is no handle on the drivers side but I believe it has all the mechanisms and all I need to do is figure out a way to weld me some handles on them.

The very last picture is of the seat I took out. This is free to the first person who deposits a six pack of beer (12 pack if you stay and drink em with me) in my fridge. I live on the west side of Fort Worth Texas in the DFW area.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
SCRebel
Posting Guru
Can't wait to see when shes all finished!

BTW love the bench seat, wish I lived in Texas. Lol. Did the seat origionally come out of your truck or another?

Quick Reply: The Old Green Ford Project