Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Senior User

saxtonj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Backfiring Issue

It's an all original '50 F-1 with Flathead V-8, 6v positive ground, original style fuel pump, carb and distributor, etc.
I have recently put on a new battery, plugs, wires, points, condenser, coil and set the timing. Since then I have taken it on a few short drives in the past couple weeks and it ran great. Saturday I started on a drive to a car show. It drove fine for about 3 miles then started surging really bad, jerking, shuttering and popping and backfiring thru the exhaust. But, it also had a couple times of running great for 15 seconds or so before returning to jerking and backfiring. I almost made it back home... finally quit running within 1/4 mile of my driveway. I have not attempted to restart since.

What should I look at as the cause of such behavior?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Senior User

JohnS49 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had something similar happen to me when I first got my 49 . Turned out there was so much crud in the bottem of the fuel tank it was just letting gas out intermitently .
Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Senior User

Would intermittent fuel starvation make it backfire?

...awhile back I had a couple pieces of trash(rust maybe??) settle in the fuel sediment bowl. Perhaps the tank needs to come off and be cleaned...?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Posting Guru

FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.FortyNiner has a great reputation on FTE.
I second the notion to start with the fuel line. The crud in the bowl got there from another source - likely the tank. The backfiring doesn't follow completely, but start with fuel, then troubleshoot your spark and air.

DW

19 and 49 F1 jes' like Henry II built

DW
Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Elder User

ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check the engine timing. Could be the distributer is loose or something in it is loose which can cause the timing to retard... casusing the backfire. Then it goes back to the right place (advances timing ) on it's own and it runs ok. Then something slips and retards the timing...back fire. My 2ct
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Postmaster

jniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to beholdjniolon is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Zoot.... backfiring is normally a timing problem... check the hold down clamp on the dist, then check around inside for things loose, crossfire on cylinders, etc. new wires/cap should eliminate crossfire... but usually I screw something up when doing anything... never hurts to check..

john
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Senior User

5wests is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could be a lean condition or timing. Check for loose carburetor mount or a leak in your intake manifold gasket.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Senior User

councilman is starting off with a positive reputation.
My guess. Points or coil.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
I'll throw in a check on the timing chain. Maybe it's loose?

I had a similar issue suddenly develop in my 52, but I'm running the stock OHV 215 6 cyl motor. It was working fine, but started backfiring after driving in a parade. I went through all of the suggestions as made here and still couldn't find the issue. Ended up rebuilding the motor.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Senior User

I will check fuel and timing first chance I get.

It's weird that it ran great as is typical following a tune up then started doing that crazy stuff.

My Flathead 8 has timing gears not a chain... I wouldn't think I had any gears break.

Someone more mechanically experienced can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the general rule of thumb if backfiring thru carb it's timing, backfiring thru exhaust fuel/air...?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Condensers on 6V systems are the weakest point of the system, and can cause all kinds of problems. The replacements available these days are poorly made (usually in Brazil) and failure within a hundred miles is not at all unheard of.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior User

Update

... finally got around to doing some things to the truck to troubleshoot.

1. Removed fuel tank and cleaned it and blew out line.

2. Everything hooked up correctly firing order wise.

3. Distributor rotating properly and rotor set to #1 and pointer lined up on dot on pulley.

4. Coil tests @ 1 ohm and 8,320 ohms(is this a bit high?)

5. No fire at spark plugs

6. Will a faulty coil cause the backfiring thru exhaust and sputtering?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
oldmerc

oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.oldmerc has a great reputation on FTE.
If you have no spark at all check your wiring to and from the coil , coil high tension wire to distributor , and change the condenser (like Ross said they are not great these days)
Iffley Saskatchewan
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
I'll throw in a check on the timing chain. Maybe it's loose?

I had a similar issue suddenly develop in my 52, but I'm running the stock OHV 215 6 cyl motor. It was working fine, but started backfiring after driving in a parade. I went through all of the suggestions as made here and still couldn't find the issue. Ended up rebuilding the motor.

You left out the part about your neighbors calling the police with a report of shots being fired!!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
On a serious note....yes a defective coil can cause a "no spark" situation.

The values that you measured don't sound too bad, but old coils can have the insulation on the windings break down. Sometimes the result is that the coil shorts out when it's warm.

One other thought...do you have a ballast resistor in line with the ignition wire from the ignition switch? Those can fail as well.

Also...follow up on Albuq's note...check the capacitance of the condensor. Do you have a shop manual to check the specs for the coil and the condensor?? If not, I can look it up for you in my Motor's manual.

Dan
Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 AM