Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior User

DAN-D-DIESEL97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
turbo advice 97 f350

i have my 97 f350 powerstroke and i think the turbo bushings are going bad.when the engine is cold,at about 1900 rpm there is a slight screeching sound,i am sure its the turbo.whats weird is after the engine gets good and warm,the noise goes away,and doesnt do it at all.turbo always seems to spool up no problem,even when this screeching happens.i am thinking of getting a kit from riff raff,and doing it myself.im pretty sure i am going to answer my own question on this,but does anyone have an experience where you cant rebuild the turbo?any questions or advice are greatly appreciated !!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Postmaster

pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.pjwoolw has a great reputation on FTE.
They can be rebuilt. But depending on what is hosed up I would send it off to a rebuilder who can set it up and get it balanced properly. Or just swap it for a rebuilt one. Depends on your budget and expertise. These kind of things are above my pay grade and comfort level. Not that you couldn't DIY. But I don't recommend it.

PM me as I have a rebuilt turbo I might part with. I would need the core though.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
Just pull the air intake and see what you have on the turbo for shaft play. A little up and down movement is ok as long is it doesn't touch the housing (that may be what your screeching sound is) but you should have no in/out play in the shaft at all. Also for your screeching sounds does it do it when sitting still as well? May be a serpentine belt idler bearing going bad. If it does it sitting still I would look at the idler pulleys instead of the turbo.

1997 F-350 7.3 PSD, 4x4, CCLB SRW, 3.55's, ZF5
If it isn't under warranty, I'll fix it myself.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Senior User

tried the end play thing,and i cant feel any in out,or side to side,as for pulleys,ive changed all including belt and tensioner.i did all that when i had the motor out to do the oil pan.ive almost convinced myself that its the turbo,though.this truck has 240k,always changed oil religiously,and am the original owner.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Post Fiend

DIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to allDIYMechanic is a name known to all
The first couple times I checked for end play I couldn't feel it either. Turns out I wasn't wiggling herd enough. It really surprised me how much force it took to make it move.

I would start looking at the idler pulleys if it were me. If you can duplicate the sound standing still that is. Not much boost is created without taking the truck out on the road and putting some load on the engine, so I would tend to think it was something other than the turbo.

But then again, I have been wrong before....

Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Senior User

i appreciate the advice,i will take off aluminum intake tube as to get a better grip on the turbo shaft and give it a good pull and push.my paws are a little big to get a good grip on it with the tube in the way.thanks!!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Post Fiend

If you do find it to be badly worn, the rebuild kits can be purchased from Riffraff Diesel and they also carry the replacement inducer wheel. The whole thing can be rebuilt yourself if you have the time and patience to do so.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Senior User

time and patience i do have,800 bucks for a reman i do not.thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Posting Guru

Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.Awitte58 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN-D-DIESEL97 View Post
time and patience i do have,800 bucks for a reman i do not.thanks!
LUCKY! I lack in the patience department..

I would agree with Nate if it screeches at a stand still then it aint your turbo.
I mean your turbo can still have problems, but it aint causing the screeching at a stand still.

Pulleys screech like bats! lol

Old 04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
Take the belt off and start the truck and see if the noise goes away
96 F350 CC ZF5 53k with grandpas package
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Post Fiend

fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.fordman67 has a good reputation on FTE.
Call me crazy people but i believe he is hearing the exhaust backing up when it is trying to warm up...ya know,the valve that is supplsed to do that...sounds like to me...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Post Fiend

I wouldn't describe the sound made by the EBPV as screeching sounds, but I guess that could be possible. Easy enough to test the theory, just unplug the connector for the EBPV under the intake side of the turbo... If it doesn't make the sound anymore you have found the culprit.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Senior User

been there with the ebpv,that makes a low whooosh sound.odd,my truck did not do this today when i drove it.no squeal or screech.i will do the the belt thing on the weekend.thanks!!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Post Fiend

strokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to beholdstrokin'_tatsch is a splendid one to behold
I've never heard a turbo "squeal" or "screech". Even one that the compressor wheel was actually hitting the housing and ended up grinding the compressor wheel down probably 1/8"... That's about the worst shape I've seen a turbo and the journal bearings were about gone, but it still made no screeching sounds or anything. Just didn't make as much boost as it should have and spool time was suffering.

I would suspect a pulley before the turbo.
Travis- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 F-250 RC PSD- because race truck
2000 F-250 SC LB 4x4 ZF6- 4" TB, 6637, TW and Gearhead tunes, 160/100s, Driven Diesel full fuel system, S365..
1994 F-150 4x4

Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM