1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96-97 Extended cab question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 AM
husky390
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96-97 Extended cab question

This question is a "user preference" question but I would like to hear the opinions from the owners of extended cabs.
I used to have a 96 Chevy Silverado extended cab with the third door. It was nice being able to open that third door to load gear or dogs into the back. I've since sold that POS and have been looking for a crew cab or extended cab 99-03 Superduty shortbed. Finding one that's clean without a bazillion miles in my price range has been close to impossible.
I stumbled on a very clean 97 F250 extended cab long bed XLT 4x4 w/ the 7.3 and 180k miles. The new transmission only has 16k on it, the front end has been rebuilt and the glow plugs have been replaced. This truck is a lot cleaner than any of the 99 and newer I have seen in the $7-8k price range and has me thinking of buying it. I will only be driving it on the weekends and rarely tow anything so I'm pretty sure it will last me for years.
So, my question is, how easy is it to load dogs, gear, kids, etc into the back of this thing? I like the truck but I don't want to end up hating it because it may be a PIA at a later date.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Blueheart
Freshman User
I use my 97 xcab as a daily driver/ work truck. No problems with the kids now (ages 5&7) both seats allow good access to the back. I have put some work stuff in there for protection too.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
I have the extended cab and personally I don't think it would work very well for dogs, gear, kids, etc. The extra storage area is very convenient but just not a comfortable area for passengers, however the price and availability makes it more attractive. So needless to say I think you would a better choice for the crew cab, definitely more suitable for what you need. (just try sitting back there)

Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm 5-11 and I always had to slide the seat forward and kneel on the floor to reach stuff in the middle of the ext cab. The extra storage was great, and the extra room to slide the front seat back was great but as for getting stuff out it sucked. As long as the dog or kids can get in and out by themselves it will be fine, but a kid in a car seat would be tough to do with these ext cabs. Wait for a crew cab, I drove my ext cab for 7 years and have had a crew cab for 3 months, can't believe I didn't get a crew cab YEARS ago now that I have one and i dont even have kids.....

Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The passenger seat slides waaaay forward. We have a '95 ECLB, and we regularly load a BIG cat carrier, more like a small dog crate, onto the back seat from the passenger door. Yeah, it'd be way better with the back-flip doors and it sux that they never appeard on the OBS, but the space is still very useable. I have no trouble climbing back there to sit. Car seat may be another matter.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the excab for 1-3 people. Gets a little crowded with wife and 3 kids esp when the drivers seat never seems to be in the "proper" place after someone moves it to get in the back..haha Now the excab on my 11 is alot roomier and the 4 door makes it great!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son-in-law hauls the two grandsons ( 1yr and 3yrs old ) in car seats in his ECLB. He's never said anything about it being too big of a pain. Maybe he's just never said it.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 PM
husky390
Senior User
Thanks guy's. I was afraid of that. It really is to bad Ford didn't make these with four doors. But it is a clean and well maintained rig so we'll see. I may opt for a 2000 SD crewcab longbed which will be fine as long as I don't have to go into parking lots. lol

Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had both extended cab (although not OBS) and crewcab (OBS) trucks and I will say that after having a crew cab, I won't consider another extended cab truck for at least as long as I have kids to haul around. It is just too convenient.

In regard to the Super Duty CCLB, you might be surprised to find that while it is a little bit longer, it probably wouldn't have that much larger a turning radius than an OBS ECLB. The SD front axles turn tighter so it may be close to a wash in the arena of turning radius. Again, length would be an issue, but I don't have too much trouble navigating tight parking lots with an OBS CCLB, so I'm sure you can handle it fine. After all, that's what reverse is for right!?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Originally Posted by ReBilld
My son-in-law hauls the two grandsons ( 1yr and 3yrs old ) in car seats in his ECLB. He's never said anything about it being too big of a pain. Maybe he's just never said it.
I was going to say - I've never found it to be incredibly inconvenient. I was in your same situation - looking for a non-OBS, CCLB, but definitely with the 7.3. My wife actually stumbled upon a '97 ECLB XLT 4x4 in really good shape with 165k on it for about $8k. I was driving an '06 tundra crew cab, and really wanted to keep the crew cab, but they are so hard to find in our area. I went an looked at it, and got it for $7,200. I would like to have a crew cab, but now that I've got this EC, I don't mind it. My kids are still in car seats, so we'll have to see when they get bigger, but for now, it's good. Someone else on here said it, but the passenger seat slides WAY forward, so it's very easy to get in from that side. It would be good for letting a dog jump in. I'd still like to have a CC, but I'll probably never find one in as good shape as mine. Just my .02. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TyBragg
I'd still like to have a CC, but I'll probably never find one in as good shape as mine.
I know where one in WAY better shape than yours will be in a few years! Hah!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
axel 56
Senior User
I have 97 club cab long box and I keep my tools in the back off cab and I realy wish it had the 4 doors . I thought that it was an option on some of the 97s

Old 04-17-2012, 03:45 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
4 door ext. Cabs werent available until '98 in the diesels. The light duty 97's had them but those were the new body style.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:27 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

The ONLY thing I regret of my truck is that its an extended cab and NOT a CC

Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 PM
BoomerTexas70's
Elder User
So im judging by some of what ive read, that the obs ec are only 2 door. There is no model that came with a 3rd or even 4th suicide doors?

Thanks,
Boomer

Quick Reply: 96-97 Extended cab question