Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9L diesel any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordOwnerJoey
Which is a lot for me right now because Im a poor starving college student who is putting all his money into his truck, food, beer, and guns.
That sounds all too familiar.

I'm 3 weeks from graduation. I bought this truck in October for $1400. Decided it needed an oil change (back in october), bought everything for it, but didn't get around to it until last week. Decided it needed a clutch kit, bought one in November, still sitting in my garage. Decided it needed new valve cover gaskets, and still haven't done that either. It needs new brakes, but I haven't had the time to tear into it.

In the last few days, the brake booster has failed completely, the pads have completely gone (Grinding now) and my clutch pedal has stopped returning all the way.

I did actually put new glow plugs and a return line kit in back in November.

I also wired in a glow plug control button and installed a new ignition lock cylinder, both because they left me stranded and it was either fix it or ride the bus 4 times a day.

That's about all I've done in terms of repairs.

The windshield is cracked in two places, it leaks oil out of about 4 different spots, the body is beat to hell, and the bed actually sits 3" higher on one side when you look at it on level ground. The windshield seal drips onto the passenger's knees and the radio doesn't work. Nor does the speedometer. Same story on the speedometer, bought a new gear, haven't installed it. I've been driving this truck in this state since I bought it. Just goes to show that they don't die.

But hopefully you'll buy one that's in better shape than this one was.

Yes, I'm still driving it.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordOwnerJoey
ok thanks, he did email me back so hopefully Ill go take a look at it tomorrow or the next day and get an idea of what it needs and what its worth. He said he just bought it a month ago from the second owner and its more truck than he needs, so Ill see what I can do.
I can't count how many times I have heard that story. It usually comes from people selling a dogged out truck for a premium price. Usually they balk at an offer close to what the heap is worth. They think a $1000 truck that needs $3000 worth of work is worth the $3000 they are asking. These are people who pick up the truck for what it is really worth ($1000), change the oil, realize all the work that needs to be done and sell it to some sucker who believes the "It's a Diesel, it will run forever" BS. I have seen this countless times. I'm not saying this is your situation but be aware of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
...but it's a diesel, it will run forever!

That's a good point, though. I paid $1400 for my rig and it's not even worth that now that I've got a bunch more money/time into it.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
Yeah Im new to diesels so Im not real sure where to begin but I have a few friends that have diesels and they know a good bit about them, maybe no so much the 6.9L but One friend has the 7.3, couple others have the 6.0L, and then I got a friend with a duramax and a cummins.

heres the guys ad for his truck. Im going ot try to get some more pics of it today, ad says 113K miles which I dont believe is too bad, But I wanna check the odometer and the title to see if its more like 213K

http://morgantown.craigslist.org/cto/2958584596.html

Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Well, at least you might be able to fix the F150 if all else fails, lol.

It doesn't look bad but that is only one picture and from far away. I have seen some really nice looking trucks in ads only to get there and find out the other side has been hit or the interior is trashed, etc. Funny how sellers forget to photograph the bad spots.

Either way, it would have to be a real peach to be worth his asking price. Maybe he will come down or it really is a peach. I'm interested to find out.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
yeah hopefully Ill go see it today, looks like it has an after market bumper with built in lights and a billet chrome grille like what Ive been wanting to get for my 150. I can tell if its in the back ground either but it might have a single stack. I HATE stacks, first project would be changing it back to normal out the back exhaust.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Yeah, I don't see the point in stacks besides ruining your truck bed and that seems counter-productive to me.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
yeah and I like my tool box too and dont want it another 8-10inches farther back in the bed, plus during the summer time I run a ladder rack on the truck when I do construction and I like putting my camper cap on for, well camping, haha

Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
So here are the pictures,

Body:
Bed is a little rough, If I get it Im just going to swap my bed onto it, front fenders are fine, hood is a little rusty but he said he has another hood for it. Also has the original grille, drivers side floor board has a big hole through it, needs patched up. frame is In really good condition, was just undercoated by the previous owner. rear shocks-covers are rusted away.tailgate is bent all up, but still works, I would just swap mine on.

Tires:
Tires are about half tread or less (265/75/R16)

Interior:
Interior is pretty clean, stock radio, Has it to push button start. has plastic floor mat, not carpet, Id rather have that though carpet holds moisture against the floor. What really concerns me is when I was driving it, when I hit a big bump I could feel the pedals move around which leads me to believe the fire wall is rotted, how bad is this?

Engine:
Engine doesnt sound too bad, but IDK what to listen for. Valve covers leak oil, Has new radiator and dual batteries (not new but fairly new). pretty gunky under the hood though, said it doesnt leak much oil maybe a qt every 2 weeks.

Guy said he could go $2500 for the truck, spare hood, grill, and doors. Also a 1988 300-six engine ZF 5 speed and 1356 transfer case. truck has 113K on it, it will need tires probably before winter and a couple hours of swapping parts and several hours of body work and paint. What are peoples thoughts on it?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
6.9 diesel nut
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks a little rough for 2500. Mine was 1700 and it looks a lot better, body wise, than that. Than again, if the frame and drive train are solid, than it might be worth it. My tranny is shot, so it about equals up. The interior looks great. The body sure needs some help though. I'd say, if the drive train works good and is solid, than I would go for it. Man I love that stack.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
No way that truck's worth 2500.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 AM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$1500 tops... And that is being generous

Jason

Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 AM
rolape2
Senior User
Considering the condition of the rest. Check under the truck. Look at the cab mounts and make sure they are still there, or at least mostly there, not completely rotted out.. Body and cab look like they line up pretty good, but would still check mounts.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 AM
FordOwnerJoey
Senior User
Ok I appreciate it, For that price though he is including the other 300 engine 5 speed tranny(not mazda) and 1356 borg werner (i think thats the number) transfer case. also with a spare hood and doors, but my biggest problems are I know knowing about maintaning diesels or anything and that the fire wall might be rotted out

Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 AM
6.9 diesel nut
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say it's worth it. The truck must have been a gasser before. There is no diesel emblem on the front. Looks to be a 4x4 emblem. If he's throwing in all that stuff, Sounds like a fare deal. If that spare engine is any good, you could sell it and get some cash back.

Quick Reply: 6.9L diesel any good?