Your experience with louvered 5th wheel tailgates ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your experience with louvered 5th wheel tailgates ?

Considering it but wanted anyone who's used them to give me your opinion of any convenience factor or mpg difference ...

thanks in advance .

Hmmm, any issues with replacing my current locking, rear camera, step tailgate ???

(camera really doesn't help when the tailgate is down

Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
Can't tow 5er with the gate down anyway...would hit RV in a turn.

I won't buy another as with a 4WD the bed sits so high anyway I still have to drop the tailgate.
Also, DO NOT buy a plastic one or part plastic. Get an all steel. The plastic gives too much. The one I had came off in a tight turn and wedged between the trailer and the truck. (It lifted off on the passenger side) Broke the cargo door in front of trailer and bent the gate so bad I couldn't use it. Tryed to un-bend it .. fagetaboutit.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
I've never used the louvered tailgate, but I've seen demonstrations that show that airflow through the tailgate, or driving with it down actually hinders fuel mileage. So I don't see an advantage there.

As far as using the rear camera, I don't see where that would be much help, except with getting in the vicinity of the trailer. Once the pin passes the camera, you're just as blind.

I have a some of these...

Two-*****-and-Sticks Hitch Aligner Reese Hitch Accessories 53410

Put one on top of the hitch plate right forward of the pin hole. Back the ball towards the pin until you get close, get out and check for proper height, then back it in until it knocks the ball off of the plate and you're hitched. I've never missed.

They also work well with gooseneck and standard bumper or receiver hitches.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a steel one on my '99. The good things were, liter weight, didnt have to lower and raise the tailgate. I didnt have the feeling mileage while towing was helped at all. Got more bugs on the front of the trailer so air was hitting it more than before. May have helped running solo. The biggest draw back for me was when I bought my new truck in SD and the OEM tailgate was/is in AZ.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
rvpuller
Received 430 Likes on 281 Posts
Been using them for the last 16 years 12 years on this truck, very rarely do I have to lower it to hookup and it stops the vacuum that is created in the box so things don't get sucked when you are going down the road. I have a all steel that was made by Handy, I did have to paint it last summer but it's been in use sense 2000. Mine also directs the air down and under the trailer, I can tell by the bug line that it forces the are down.

Denny

Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
I use a Stromberg-Carlson plastic one. Have not had a problem. I hook up my 5ver without dropping the tailgate. Bought it used for $50.00. My original one is stored in my basement. Never had it come off.....just put a hose clamp over the right side of the gate where you slide it off the mounting slot.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:54 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
I picked up a used one for cheap and will see how it does,

like the fact that it's one less thing in the hookup and unhook process as I've already forgotten one that required a new tailgate

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
Originally Posted by CPaulsen
I use a Stromberg-Carlson plastic one. Have not had a problem. I hook up my 5ver without dropping the tailgate. Bought it used for $50.00. My original one is stored in my basement. Never had it come off.....just put a hose clamp over the right side of the gate where you slide it off the mounting slot.

I do NOW too...but after the fact! But I do NOT use the louvered plastic/metal gate anymore either.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM
fixdent
Senior User
I have the louvered plastic one, and no problems. It is pretty weak though. Can't step on it while it is down.

It does make hooking up nice, not having to put down the tailgate. With my regular tailgate the truck had to be perfectly straight with the trailer or I could not put the tailgate down and unhook. With the drop gate, I can unhook at any angle.

--
Gordon

Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have one. I can't imagine any improvement in mpg with a vented vs original t/gate when pulling with all of the wind drag of a 5th wheel, etc.
When hooking up, I have a mental checklist and work it one item at a time. I don't have others help me nor interupt/distract me through this process, both hooking up and unhooking. Easy to overlook something if others get involved.
No big deal to get out and lower the t/gate in the process.
I see it more of a gimmick that anything else, however, I'm sure others have made a buck or two with the concept.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
fixdent
Senior User
No big deal to get out and lower the t/gate in the process.
I don't know your setup, but on mine I only have a few inches from my lowered tailgate to my 5th wheel. If I'm not 100% straight, I cannot open my tailgate....it hits the camper.

When backing my camper into my driveway at home, I have to come in at a bit of an angle, so being straight is rather hard.

With the louvered cut-out tailgate I can be at any angle, even like 45 degrees, and still pull away, and don't have to lower my tailgate....

--
Gordon

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gordon,
I have the luxury of a long bed with a slider. I can open my tailgate with the slider extended back, and still have 5-6" before hitting the 5th wheel with the t/gate. Granted, if I had to come in at an angle, the tailgate might hit then.
In my case, no need to buy another tailgate if I just take my time and use some care.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Yes, I used the louvered for a while, worked well for my purposes, but now that I have my regular tailgate back on... the louvered one has it's place in my garage with my other "extra's" - propride hitch, rancho 5000s, etc... etc..

Old 08-20-2015, 08:39 AM
teamford
New User
OEM customeized tailgate for 5th wheels

I had the same issue and decided to located a body shop who would be able to customized the factory tailgate with a 5th wheel notch
the body shop that dis this is
AJ's Automotive
Address: 47872 US-18, Canton, SD 57013
Phone605) 987-4292

they did a great job we are very happy with the job they did, we could not ask for a better customized tailgate job

attached are three photos of this customized tailgate which still has the backup camera

Hope this information helps anyone who is looking to keep the factory tailgate and wants the benefit of a 5th tailate

Old 08-20-2015, 02:56 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
I like that tailgate; however, I would miss my "old man's" step in my tailgate.

Quick Reply: Your experience with louvered 5th wheel tailgates ?