Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Senior User

5wests is starting off with a positive reputation.
It appears to me that positive caster is built into the upper a arm in the angle of the socket for the ball joint. At least the donor a-arms from the '74 Coronet have an angled "socket" for the ball joint. I'll heed your advice though and not weld until I know the alignment is accomplished. If I have to; I can tilt the crossmember a few degrees and weld it in place without the two small bolts in place. Thanks for the advice. Now.........anybody have an idea what those motor mounts fit?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Senior User

I picked up my lower control arms from the machine shop today. The old shaft bushings didn't want to come out without a fight. The bill came out over $71 but I'm another step towards completion. I couldn't find anywhere here that sold American made wheel bearings; so I placed an order through Summit Racing for some Timken sets today. My next logical step is to pull the motor but I have to work this weekend and I'd rather have someone hear it run before I yank it out. Only one legitimate call on the motor and 3 scammer texts. It's coming out regardless come the weekend of 28-29 April.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Senior User

Gibbon IFS --strut rod bushings

Do either of the few of you who have done this mod have a good part number for the strut rod bushings which fit the Gibbon brackets? The rubber bushing shoulder needs to be about 1.5" in and the overall bushing diameter is about 2.5". I ordered energy suspension bushings and they were way too small. Parts stores in the last frontier don't carry them and MOOG lists 3 different part numbers with no specifications. Thanks for your help. Don
Old 04-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Elder User

das54 has a good reputation on FTE.das54 has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for sharing your build. I also have a Gibbons IFS, except I fabbed my own sub frame and my parts came from a 77 Cordoba. Not very common here so good to see your build.
89 Jimmy 91 Suburban
97 ST1100 01 Malibu
96 22 ft Prowler camp trailer
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Senior User

Found bushing OEM part numbers

In desparation, I've cleaned off the OEM bushings with an old toothbrush and was able to view the original part numbers in sunlight while the rubber was still wet. Mopar part numbers are 3722465 and 3722466. I'm currently waiting on a return call after "Collector's Auto Supply" in Oroville, WA physically checks their stock to get dimensions. Calls to my local Dodge/Chrysler dealership turned up nothing. They can't even tell me the application. If any of you like a challenge, please have at it. I know some of the numbers they are not. MOOG: K7016A, K7026, K7068, K7085. Energy suspension doesn't carry them. Don
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior User

After a few calls and emails to Glen at Rare Parts Inc., I have a good part number from them. 15704 is the part number and the entire strut rod bushing kit was $37 plus shipping. These folks were great to deal with over the phone. I hope their product is as good as their customer service and technical support. Steering & Suspension, All American Cars, Import Cars, Off Road and Trucks | RareParts.com There's a link to their catalog when you click "Buy Online".
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Senior User

My bushings came in yesterday. They fit great and are made in the U.S.A. I'm heading out on a combo fishing charter on Friday. Hopefully I won't be too sleep deprived and can start back up on my suspension install. Next step...engine removal so I can box the frame.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior User

old uhaul is starting off with a positive reputation.
you will really enjoy that Gibbons kit.I have installed 4 of them over the years.I had to modify the early ones which used the donor car upper control arm mounting brackets.
The one you have is later and is good.I had that in my last panel and we drove over 50k miles and it rode excellent.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Elder User

This is exciting. My steering box seems like it has too much slop. has anyone else had a problem with this and how did you fix it. Anyone replace the steering box with a rack and pinion unit? My build has been 10+ years and I've not had it out for a drive but getting close. The info in this thread about replacement bushings is a gold mine.
89 Jimmy 91 Suburban
97 ST1100 01 Malibu
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior User

Steering box for RAP swap

I already picked up a rebuilt power rack and pinion unit to use on this swap. It's going kind of slow right now. Alaska is finally thawing out and "de-winterizartion" of yard, patio furniture, FISHING season etc. has been sucking up some time. I did get my final suspension pieces bead blasted this morning before work though. I'll have to line up some help to pull the motor. I'll continue posting pictures when I get back into it and will let you know how the rack works out. It's from an early '80s Omni and my plan is to mount it on the back of the Gibbons crossmember. The donor steering box was HUGE and I didn't want the clutter in the engine bay and causing clearance issues with the engine or exhaust. I want room for a 460 or a 7.3 Powerstroke in the future. My 327 sbc will look a little out of place until one of those falls in my lap at the right price.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Senior User

Motor is out and frame clean-up has begun. I ran into a slight snag with finding a lower coupling with a universal to fit the rack & pinion unit gear shaft. When the Gibbons kit came out, there were probably tons of K-cars etc available for picking and Chrysler probably still stocked parts for them. I found a TRW part number 15903 at Rock Auto but found out it wouldn't fit the power steering rack I had. They promptly changed their description to identify the part as manual steering only. I took the rack to a Chrysler dealer here in Anchorage and was able to find a stationary lower coupling with the proper spline fit on the rack. The TRW unit almost fits inside it like a glove and will weld into the Chryselr part number 4115549 (Dorman # 425-252) with ease.
2003 Eddie Bauer 4X4 Excursion, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4 inch exhaust, Superchips programmer, AFE Stage II, 2" front leveling & Firestone Airbags on the rear. '05 F-350 DRW XLT (bone stock), '53 F100 (darkside....deep darkside)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Senior User

I haven't been on here in a while. The subframe is now installed. I shaved off the steering brackets in preparation of installing the rack & pinion unit. After searching high and low for 9/16 x 18 x 6" tie rod adjustment sleeves and turning up zilch, it was back to Glenn at Rare Parts Inc. I probably sound like an advertisement for these folks but they came through again. I have a pair of custom, powder coated hex bar sleeves being made right now for barely more than a pair of stock 8-1/4" stock one from a FLAP. At this point, I need to get my truck into a rolling condition. We listed our house in anticipation of next year's move back to AZ; expecting it to take 6 months or so to sell. After 4 days on the MLS, we were under contract. I'll be a renter soon and am not sure what ammenities the new place will have.
2003 Eddie Bauer 4X4 Excursion, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4 inch exhaust, Superchips programmer, AFE Stage II, 2" front leveling & Firestone Airbags on the rear. '05 F-350 DRW XLT (bone stock), '53 F100 (darkside....deep darkside)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Senior User

We're packing the house and I've been busy cutting, grinding, welding on my '53. I've been taking photos but haven't had time to post them. The suspension is under the truck; minus the sway bar but it will install quickly. I've got it in a rolling condition but would like to have the power rack unit mounted before I put it on a trailer. I had to raise the transmission and motor about 3 inches to make room for the rack & pinion and exhaust. Dropping the truck on the floor with tires on it for the first time yielded a crazy raked stance due to not having the adjustment screw tightened at all. Once I set the ride height to 1-7/8", it was sitting pretty level with the rear; maybe a slight rake. I'll try to get some pics off my phone and onto the PC as soon as I get some free time.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Elder User

sounds like you're making great progress, especially on top of moving. I've had mine on the road since July and it rides and handles pretty good. The short wheel base and very light rear end (no bed in it) makes the steering very quick and a bit twitchy at highway speeds. Very little slop so I guess the huge steering box tightens up a little with some fluid pressure in it. I still need to get the adapter plates for the front. I'm not sure if the wider stance will change the handling or steering response but it will help the tires look better in the fender wells. Keep up the good work. You'll love it when you get it running.
89 Jimmy 91 Suburban
97 ST1100 01 Malibu
Old 10-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Senior User

Progress photos on Gibbons IFS

I'm taking tonight off. My wife and daughters went to see a movie so I'm home with my boy and found a little time to post some photos of recent progress on my IFS install. I've got to work all weekend and the movers are coming on Monday. I'm leaving my welder and a few other tools out in case I have a short break this week to finish some items like motor mounts & fabricating something to connect the rack & pinion to the front member. I don't think I'll have it all completed but I'll at least get it on the trailer and head out for Arizona on the 20th. Topping it all off, my recently purchased F350 with a 6.0 PS blew the EGR cooler. Too much going on for me to tackle that job so it's in the shop undergoing an expensive repair job. I hope these photos are helpful to someone in the future. Pictures by 5wests - Photobucket
Old 10-12-2012, 10:24 PM