1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Progress on that rebuilt "LOL", c4 from EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Progress on that rebuilt "LOL", c4 from EBAY

Hi all, I figured Id post my progress on that "rebuilt c4" I got on EBAY not to long ago. It seems like my decission to tear farther into it after finding a broken stator shaft was the correct one. This poor old work horse has been rode hard and put away wet. The P.O. did put some new clutches, and a bushing or two into it, but I dont understand why any one would go that far and stop. I didnt know much, make that nothing about, automatic transmissions b4 attempting this, but there is a ton of info on the net, and in the Haynes book I bought that shows how simple the desighn of this particuler tranny is, and after studying everything I could get my hands on was abel to dissassemble it knowing the name and funtion of each componet . Now that its apart, and is layed out in the proper order, Im just waiting for the money yo buy a complete rebuild kit, so I can replace both bands,sealing rings, clutches/steels thrust washers .sprag clutch,bushings, ect ect. The pistons were frozen, the rear band was fryed, on and on. This was actually a blessing in disguise, what I meen is that if it was delivered in good shape I wouldnt have been forced to do the research, and get the practical expierence, that Ill pick up along the way. I know many of you guys are very expeirenced in automotive stuff, but as always, Im flying blind, encouraged only by you guys here on FTE. Well thats it for now, Ill give you guys another update when I get to reassembly later this year. Im enjoying every minute now that my wifes talking to me again. LOL

Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Get an "ATSG" manual for the C-4, they are cheap and much better than any Haynes. They are used by the pros. FORD, C-4 / C-5, ATSG SERVICE REBUILD MANUAL (26401)* | eBay

Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Jim, that's how I look at this kinda stuff too! Intimidation will stop many people in their tracks! I figure, "Hey it's no good the way it is, so let's tear it apart and see what makes this baby tick!" If you were to sign up for classes on "Transmission Rebuilding" you would be paying alot more money...and still not learn as much as you are by doing it yourself! Awesome buddy!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:08 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Get an "ATSG" manual for the C-4, they are cheap and much better than any Haynes. They are used by the pros. FORD, C-4 / C-5, ATSG SERVICE REBUILD MANUAL (26401)* | eBay
Thank you Ross, I think Ill do that.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good show, Jim! There's not nearly as much as some would have you believe to an automatic transmission and as you've found out, the C4 is one of the simplest. If the rest of the country's car guys and gearheads knew what you do now, the transmission rebuild industry would be in big trouble. I don't know who you're going to use for parts, but you might check out www.wittrans.com. They've got an excellent selection and prices with everything set up on an exploded diagram menu so it's easy to find the part you need.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
Jim you are a man of many talents...and certainly not afraid to jump in to unknown territory. Personally I have never delved into the A/T side of this hobby, I have been fortunate to have close friends who are builders. It looks like you have this project well in hand. I once thought that I would learn more about transmissions so I bought the ATSG manuals (very good source of critical info) and I rented some really good rebuild videos from SmartFlix.com. Watching someone else do the rebuild really helped me understand the process and the pitfalls.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:46 AM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've rebuilt 2 automatics and one manual. It's mainly about having the right tools and replacing things in the order you found them. I'd get that new rebuild kit ASAP, as it's amazing how quickly you can forget the order and direction of how you removed things. Also, find out if there's anything you need to adjust prior to taking it out on the road(don't ask). Good luck!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
The one tip I'll give comes from my son and I rebuilding a C-4 in his Maverick. There is a plastic thrust washer at the rear end of the case that can slip out of position. If it does, the main shaft you slide in (that goes all the way into the t.c.) will be about 3/8" too far forward and you won't be able to get the t.c. deep enough into the front pump. Since the shaft freely slides in and out, it's easy for it to slide forward when installing the trans, the washer falls down, you're screwed... That's all I remember about it. There's undoubtedly some trick to keep the washer in position (vaseline?).

Ditto what Carnut said, even a week later you'll be scratching your head about which way something went together!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jim,
You are the man! I watched you do your own exhaust & now
automatic transmissions. I promise I will do the next tear down on
my AOD - I'm tired of fixing other "experts" mistakes on these things - I might as well get good at it.

Good luck over there! Post plenty of pics - that's a lot of parts in those in
those buckets!

Ben in Austin

Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
AmericanROCKBREAD!
Senior User
Jim, You remind me of old an old friend/mentor "Doc" Wilson, who would tell me when digging into an automatic transmission "I'm not afraid of it".

Good work Jim!! Thanks for showing us what's possible.

Joe

Old 04-15-2012, 01:48 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Jim: You are an absolute inspiration for us. I am a Journeyman auto tech and am very impressed and inspirered by your dedication and ambition. Keep up the good work and us up to date on your progress.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my attention! Never completely tore one down, just went far enough to replace a forward band once. Be sure to share all the pitfalls, tips, and tricks you discover!

Old 04-15-2012, 03:42 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations Jim . You have managed to take a step past that point that has made most tranny shops very financially successful . Have fun with it and I hope all goes well .

Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
You guys are the greatist. I appreceiate your tips and encouragement. Wits has a nice set up on there web site, click on a part and get a price and part #. They sell the rear band by it self, wich may let me buy a regular rebuild kit instead of the most expensive kit available, wich will not only save a lot, but will allow me to get the book to boot, a real win win. I love FTErs, I never feel alone when I undertake an unfamiliar prodject, it feels as If you guys are right here with me, and that is something very special. Thank you

Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 PM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
After seeing the paint job, the killer exhaust and the other work you've done on your truck, there's no doubt in my mind that you can rebuild the trans better than new. The best part is that your beloved is speaking to you again! Way to go Jimmy. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Progress on that rebuilt "LOL", c4 from EBAY