Sponsored by: Moser

Sudden Downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden Downshift?

Recently my '11 supercab suddenly downshifted from 6th to 3rd while rolling along easily at about 50mph at the bottom of a very slight downgrade. It has done this 3 times now and takes me totally by surprise every time. Has anyone else had this happen? I have an appointment next week to get it looked at, but my dealer is about 225 miles away and it's a real pain to take it in.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:06 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have it in T/H? If so and you tap the brakes it will do that, but 6 to 3 sounds like an issue. Well not from 6 right into 3rd, it shouldn't be doing that IMHO. Keep us posted on what the dealer says.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
The oilfield service company I work for in Prudhoe Bay runs a large rental fleet, and has their own Ford shop. I asked the guy there about this and he told me they had several cold weather issues with them, including one that tried to shift into reverse when going down the road. My problem was the last time I was home in February when it was still below zero here, so maybe it is due to ice and snow buildup or something. Hope the dealer doesn't want to keep it overnight.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did this on my way home from Washington i took it straight in to ford they told me i had a bad merconik valve body? sorry spelling is way off i know. after it got changed out and re flashed it. its working OK i guess but its still relearning.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Northroadak
Junior User
I work away from home, 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off, and fly to the job. When I'm gone, my sitter drives it for 3 weeks. I wonder if it's having a "learning" problem?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Northroadak
Junior User
Dealer couldn't find anything wrong, and it hasn't done it since the weather warmed up. Outside temperature was around -20 when it happened, so maybe I'll have to wait 'til next winter.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:59 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for coming back and reporting Off topic, Ice Road Truckers is one of my favorite shows. Have you ever been on the show? And, have you ever met Maya or Lisa?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
We get a charge out of that show, mainly because our company is one of the premier ice road builders. Most of that show takes place on the Dalton Highway, which, although a very difficult and dangerous road, is NOT an ice road. That thin ice stuff, at least in Alaska, is pure bull. The oil companies would never risk lives and that kind of money to thin ice. The roads are engineered to carry the load. Go to Peak Oilfield Service Company, click on Prudhoe Bay division, then on "Vanishing Ice Roads" video, for a look at the way it really is.
We hold the record for the heaviest load ever moved on the sea ice, one of the Alpine production modules, at 1825 tons. Yes, I've met Lisa once.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
Well, it did it again today. I was doing about 57mph on a flat level stretch, steady light throttle, and bang, right from 6th to 3rd, and back up to 6th after a couple seconds. I guess we can rule out cold weather, 56 here today!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow tell them about mine (post #9) and what i had done and then ask if thats a option or if they think it could be something along that line. ill have to say my truck still don't shift right but its a hell sight better after that service work was done.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Thanks for coming back and reporting Off topic, Ice Road Truckers is one of my favorite shows. Have you ever been on the show? And, have you ever met Maya or Lisa?
Obviously they brought in Maya to boost the ratings..and a few people's blood pressure! I remember the show with her walking out of the hot thermal pools.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Northroadak
Well, it did it again today. I was doing about 57mph on a flat level stretch, steady light throttle, and bang, right from 6th to 3rd, and back up to 6th after a couple seconds. I guess we can rule out cold weather, 56 here today!
since it appears to happen at random, perhaps a little more info might help people key in on what may be causing it.

which engine?
cruise on or off when it happens?

one thing that comes to mind is a grounding issue that another memeber had..... his symptoms were different, but grounding can do some seriously wierd things. (BTW, i was the one that MISSED the nail in this thread so take everything i say with a grain of salt)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-problem.html

edit ...
something else just came to mind is that your mid 90's dodge products would do this when their Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) would go out. the TPS would go to Zero ohms, telling the computer that the engine is at full throttle causing the downshift..... not sure the new fords even have a TPS, being that the throttle is drive by wire ... but that's what came to mind

keep us posted

Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Northroadak
Junior User
It's a 5.0, and always does it in the drive position. I seldom use T/H and we really can't use cruise on most of our roads. My dealer is a 5 hour drive from here(we have a local dealer with a poor service reputation), so it's usually an overnight trip to get anything looked at. Will probably be mid July before I get back up there.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Northroadak
Junior User
Now that I think about it, the door lock button on the driver's door quit working over the winter. Turned out to be a corroded wire that was never properly sealed when the dealer installed the autostart. Seems like both problems happened about the same time.

Quick Reply: Sudden Downshift?