6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

CEL -what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Laner
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CEL -what to do?

I have an early 2008 F350 SRW CC SB with the 6.4L Diesel with ~37000 miles on it. I am the 2nd owner of this truck, formerly owned by a farmer. A week ago I had the oil changed (5K miles since last service). Since then I have noticed that the truck has gone into regen 3x in less than 300 miles. Previously regens were around 300 miles or so. The boost seems to be a little higher than normal (previously noted) at times when pulling a 4000 lb loaded trailer. Friday on my way to work the CEL came on about a 1/2 mile from my house. I pulled over and shut down the truck and waited a few minutes and started it back up. It ran fine, just that the CEL was on and remained on. Called the dealer, which is 45 miles away and they had me come in to check the codes and clear them to turn off the CEL. Here are the codes that they gave me:
P2084 = Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2
P117b = Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor Correlation - Bank 1
P20e3 = Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1/3 Correlation Bank 1
Based on the above codes it seems like there is an issue with an exhaust gas senser in bank 1, however the dealer told me that the code only needed to be cleared and that they updated the pcm with the TSB 09-19-10. I asked when this TSB was released? They didn't know was the response I got. The truck was a 10/07 build '08, so the bumper-bumper warranty is gone and I only have until October on the engine/drive train warranty. The truck is used in my lawn care business and for towing our camper a couple times each year, so it doesn't get worked hard very often. The average mpg is around 12 per tank, with a mix of small lawn trailer and empty (no trailer) driving. I have been thinking about upgrades that would eliminate the regens and the DPF. I don't feel that I need more HP, just want to get rid of the regens and make the truck more reliable and a little better fuel mileage (not a big deal for a truck this size). What are your thoughts/suggestions? Thanks much for all the help on this site!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:33 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I think you may need a different dealer. The latest flash was 11b23 with a followup flash for those trucks that developed problems from the 11b23 flash. Your truck should have had 11b23 last year. It should be in the dealers computer. Maybe I don't know how they number flashes but 09 sounds like something a couple years old. Someone will read this and let us know. As to the rest I can only say that I am very glad I removed the DPF. I don't run a big HP tune but the oil is so much cleaner and the truck just runs much much better. And I don't miss the nasty regens and the half regens and the drive to clean message. Yep, I'm a federal criminal but so was Paul Revere. And I gave up 6 months of drive train warranty but money isn't everything. If it breaks I'll deal with it. In the meantime [I]'m lovin my truck.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's what Ford documentation says about P2084. I didn't see the other 2 listed anywhere.

Temperature Sensor Range/Performance Test: (sensor comparisons to ambient model after full soak)
P2080, P2084, P242B
| ambient - actual sensor reading at key-on | > 40 deg C
(“ambient” is determined from the ambient temperature model, which updates after 5 minutes of vehicle driving.)

The sensor is checked while the engine is running after 5 minutes to see if it's at least 40C hotter than when when the key was first turned on. Sounds like it might be bad, but the best way to know for sure is seeing the actual values or measuring the ohms directly.

EGT11 is the temperature sensor before the CAT, EGT12 is the one after the CAT, and EGT13 is the one after the DPF

The correlation tests must be comparing all of the sensors and checking if the values all make sense among the others.

Here's the TSB

https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...p?tsb=09-19-10

But as Stanley mentions, maybe you got 11B23 which would have included the fixes from this older flash

Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Laner
Junior User
I did have the 11b23 done in 2011 at the same dealer. Made a special trip in for it. Seemed like the fuel mileage was a little less after this update, but no change in time/miles between regen cycles. Could the dealer have loaded the 09-19-10 TSB even with the 11b23 already being done? I would think the PCM would have a log of what programs have been loaded, since they are able to retain a lot of other information.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Laner
I did have the 11b23 done in 2011 at the same dealer. Made a special trip in for it. Seemed like the fuel mileage was a little less after this update, but no change in time/miles between regen cycles. Could the dealer have loaded the 09-19-10 TSB even with the 11b23 already being done? I would think the PCM would have a log of what programs have been loaded, since they are able to retain a lot of other information.
I'm a bit over my head here but it seems that 11b23 would have contained or modified 9 19 10. Why would they reflash with that number? Maybe they just wrote it down wrong on your paper work, or maybe they know a lot more about it than I do. Wish I could help more. I remember that TSB, it was the one that stopped regen if the truck was put in Park gear. Seems strange to me thy would do that flash now.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Laner
Junior User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I'm a bit over my head here but it seems that 11b23 would have contained or modified 9 19 10. Why would they reflash with that number? Maybe they just wrote it down wrong on your paper work, or maybe they know a lot more about it than I do. Wish I could help more. I remember that TSB, it was the one that stopped regen if the truck was put in Park gear. Seems strange to me thy would do that flash now.
I'll keep track of when it goes into regen next and see if I can find a place to stop, put it in park and see if the regen stops. Last night it went into regen and I was almost home so I decided to keep driving until the regen was complete.
I know prior to the 11b23 update that the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER was displayed the entire time the regen was taking place. After the 11b23 update it only flashes on the dash for a few seconds when it starts the regen. It does not tell you when the regen is complete.

Thanks for the help on this. Really thinking that I am going to get a tuner and DPF/CAT delete to get rid of the regens only. Don't need more HP.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is what's happening. One of the 3 temperature sensors is working but its value is off and doesn't make sense compared to the others, and the PCM is complaining about it. Too bad it doesn't say what.

There's a test that suggests taking all 3 temperature readings when the engine is running, let it idle for 10min and measuring the temperatures again. Turn off the engine and wait 10min and measure all 3 again.

If the 3 sensors don't agree within 20C or 36F of each other, replace the one that's the oddball

You'll need to measure the sensors with an ohmmeter if you don't have a scanner that can read those PIDs. There are temperature charts for the sensors values here
http://www.backglass.org/duncan/ps64...Components.pdf

You'll need to unplug the sensors when the engine is off and key is off otherwise more codes will show up and it may lock you out from starting again. So the best thing to do is measure immediately after idling and shutting her down and then again after 10 after the engine has been off

To give you an idea of what the sensors should be doing, look at the first graph in this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...enginuity.html

This stupid regen is such an annoyance it's become an obsession of mine

Old 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I'll keep track of when it goes into regen next and see if I can find a place to stop, put it in park and see if the regen stops. Last night it went into regen and I was almost home so I decided to keep driving until the regen was complete.
I know prior to the 11b23 update that the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER was displayed the entire time the regen was taking place. After the 11b23 update it only flashes on the dash for a few seconds when it starts the regen. It does not tell you when the regen is complete.

Thanks for the help on this. Really thinking that I am going to get a tuner and DPF/CAT delete to get rid of the regens only. Don't need more HP.
I'm pretty sure that the flash that stopped the "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" message from staying on was in 09. I just checked my records and the dealer reflashed mine in November of 09. I remember it well because we discussed it a lot on this forum. So, if yours changed only after the 11b23 you or the former owner if you just bought it missed that flash,

Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Laner
Junior User
That flash may have been missed by the previous owner. Also a little surprised that the dealer didn't make sure it was up-to-date before I bought the truck in Nov 2010.
The truck did go thru regen to completion on Monday afternoon. And then started regen again on Tuesday afternoon so I pulled over and put the truck in park. The regen then stopped. So that part of the update worked to stop the regen when the truck is not moving. However, I am a little concerned that the truck is going into regen more often than it should. Previously it went into regen approx every 300 miles. The truck doesn't get a lot of long highway driving, mostly 15-20 miles between towns and then lots of stop and go in town (doing lawn spraying/fertilizing). I'm guessing the driving habits are partial cause for the more often regens, however it didn't regen this often last year while using the truck in the same manner.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
That flash may have been missed by the previous owner. Also a little surprised that the dealer didn't make sure it was up-to-date before I bought the truck in Nov 2010.
The truck did go thru regen to completion on Monday afternoon. And then started regen again on Tuesday afternoon so I pulled over and put the truck in park. The regen then stopped. So that part of the update worked to stop the regen when the truck is not moving. However, I am a little concerned that the truck is going into regen more often than it should. Previously it went into regen approx every 300 miles. The truck doesn't get a lot of long highway driving, mostly 15-20 miles between towns and then lots of stop and go in town (doing lawn spraying/fertilizing). I'm guessing the driving habits are partial cause for the more often regens, however it didn't regen this often last year while using the truck in the same manner.
Any coolant loss or are you growing oil? Those are the major concerns right off the bat.

More than likely you might have an over zealous EGR or a sensor that is out of spec for the DPF. They can check those.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Laner
Junior User
Don't appear to be growing oil. A couple weeks ago the dealer changed the oil and said they had to add some coolant. I have checked the coolant level several times since then and it is still about a 1/2" or so below the cold fill line.

I'm guessing that the EGR and sensor for the DPF are not covered under the engine and drive train warranty?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
EGR would be...DPF for 2008 model year is covered to 100K miles but sensor are not.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I'm absolutely sure my truck went into regen a lot more often following the 11b23 flash. I was going every 100 miles towing and about 125 non-towing miles. it didn't bother me because by then I had made up my mind to delete but I am very clear that it happened.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Laner
Junior User
Ok, so this past Friday we pull the camper about 50 miles and setup. The truck does well into the wind and mileage is good. Run a couple short trips to my sons baseball games nearby and then pull the camper home. We just get on the highway and the truck flashes the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" twice and then stays on the dash. Hasn't stayed on since the 11b23 update was done in early 2011. Stays on for ~30 miles. We stop and put the truck in park and the "Drive to Clean" is displayed....I have never seen this since I bought the truck in Nov 2010. Decide to drive another 10+ miles and it indicates that the cleaning process is complete. Went thru a little over a 1/4 tank of fuel in these roughly 40 miles in the regen mode. I will be checking the fluid levels in the morning to see where everything is. Is this normal? I haven't heard of the display staying on with the updates.

I only have a few months of engine and drivetrain warranty left and I am trying to decide if I should just say screw it and order the DPF delete pipe and tuner.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IT does that when it hasn't completed a cycle for several times. Worst I've had is 50+ miles of regen all while towing heavy. Easily used a 1/4 tank during that crap.

Quick Reply: CEL -what to do?