1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 and diesel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daren99
Hi guys,
I'm looking for an f350 drw flatbed and I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of mileage (average with and without a trailer) to expect out of the v10 and 6.4 diesel in this application. It would be used to pull a skidsteer on a fairly regular basis, and a 20,000 pound gooseneck trailer once in awhile. I know the v10 won't have to pulling power the diesel will, and I can live with that, were on flat land most of the time. I just put a bunch into my 6.0 and am growing tired of the diesel expense and I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a v10. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daren
The 20Klb trailer will yield very similar mileage, the 6.4L will get 1-3mpg more, depending on the size of the skidsteer and trailer it probably won't be much different. Both will get under 10mpg with the 20K lbs trailer, 6.4L might get 11 with the skidsteer depending on size. Figure higher maintenance and fuel cost on the diesel and it is a very close wash. Spend more money on it to get rid of the DPF and you'll gain some mileage.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:32 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
also remember the empty truck mileage with the 6.4 will degrade if driven in town lots/ v10 gas will not.

I don't mean "in town MPG", i mean the DPF gets clogged, and other issues might happen that wouldn't happen with a gas motor.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:42 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Well everyones always got different ways of looking at things.

I think that if the V10 costed the same as diesel to purchase and maintain, nobody would buy the gas truck.

That being said, diesel engines CAN be more economical to own and operate, the problem lies with deciding if a diesel is economical for YOU to own and operate.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Alright, poor guy asked, and the thread is probably on the verge of getting shut down, so :

Hi guys,
I'm looking for an f350 drw flatbed and I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of mileage (average with and without a trailer) to expect out of the v10 and 6.4 diesel in this application. It would be used to pull a skidsteer on a fairly regular basis, and a 20,000 pound gooseneck trailer once in awhile. I know the v10 won't have to pulling power the diesel will, and I can live with that, were on flat land most of the time. I just put a bunch into my 6.0 and am growing tired of the diesel expense and I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a v10. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daren

Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
What problems have you had with you're 6.0?
What have you done to it so far?

Maybe all you need is a little couple things and you'd be happy with what you got instead of selling and buying stuff? Selling and buying stuff wastes a TON of cash, so consider that, too.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 PM
daren99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've replaced 2 fuel pumps, and just replaced the egr valve, egr cooler, oil cooler and head gaskets. Had I done some research I would have blocked off the egr cooler and replaced the head gasket studs and the oil cooler instead of going back to original. The other day the "limp home" light came on and I lost my turbo boost for awhile, but came back before I got home so it has me thinking, what next?

I had a single wheel 2000 f350 with the v10 before and if I remember right I averaged about 9 to 10 mpg, my srw 6.0 averages about 11 to 12.

I'm mostly wondering what you could expect with the drw v10 as opposed to the 6.4 as far as mpg and how many miles you can get out of the v10.

I need the dually because that 32ft gooseneck with probably closer to 26000 lbs on it really squats the tires and back end and probably isn't real safe. I don't haul that much alot but occasionally.

I'm just on the fence as far as gas or diesel, if it wasn't for all the stupid emmissions crap and total lack of dependability and cost in the newer diesels it would be a no brainer. I about puked when I wrote the $6000.00 check for the last bill and they didn't even get into the engine!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I was going to edit the last comment, but decided to ramble in a new post.

I've become a pretty good aquaintance to a guy that underwrites the work on their fleet, of about 300 trucks.

The bottom line is that ford is sticking to really heavy duty trucks.

If you plan on driving a diesel for the sake of it, and pulling toys around a few times a year, buy a duramax. They run a ton better than fords as a daily driver. They also make better mileage, even over the 6.7.

If you need something to do a ton of work for you, and not crap out, buy a ford. It will cost less, and mileage evens right out when considering a load. There are a LOT of 6.4 fords and 6.7 that are putting crazy miles on, and doing it in stride, even stock, when getting used for real driving.

Not too long ago, diesel vs gas was an argument which could mostly be settled by wether or not you could afford the diesel. Now, things are different. ANY newer diesel truck, is plain out NOT A GOOD OPTION AS A DAILY DRIVER.

Now, maybe if you are an enthusiest, or you have a 2nd beater car to go to the store, as I have, you can keep the diesel and keep her running good. Just be VERY aware that these newer trucks DO NOT:

-Have 5.9 cummins that last 1,000,000 miles
-Have 6.5 GMC diesels that get 25 MPG stock
-Have 7.3 Engines that make a great general purpose motor.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Subscribing.

Let's please keep this one on topic.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Subscribing.

Let's please keep this one on topic.

Thanks!
Let's do keep this civil and on topic.

As much as many of us want to flame around different opinions, look at post #1 and see what has been asked of us. I feel it is fine to argue a point, but let's remember that if everyone is so smart, let's help the OP with his exact question before venturing into a bad place.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daren99
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Daren
For city driving I get 9.5 mpg empty. Highway I get between 10 - 10.5 mpg (empty) going 65 - 70 mph depends on terrain. I would say the gas engine is more susceptible to the terrain than a diesel for consuming fuel.

I don't tow, I only haul. I don't do too much heavy hauling, but short trip city hauling of 3.5 -4 ton, I get about 8 mpg depending on idling time. I mostly do city light hauling of about 1,000 - 1500 lbs, I get about the same as empty or a hair less, around 9 mpg depending on idling time.

With the 6spd, I do have a noticeable control of fuel consumption. It's not a real lot, but it is noticeable; and that can go either way depending how I drive it and shift.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Exclamation Thread CLEANED

Okay guys, just cleaned things up some. I asked before to keep this on topic and things got away from us again. Not cleaning this one up another time, it'll just get .

Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I was wondering why this thread wouldn't let me quote

@ darren: How many miles a year do you drive? You may have already posted it, but I'm not seeing that

oh yeah, and how far are you yanking these heavier loads?

It's painful getting 9-10 mpg, but really if you aren't driving a ton of miles, a 08/09 V-10 DRW would be a good choice.

I personally wouldn't touch the 6.4 because of DPF crap. You're going to put alot of money into a 6.4 to make it get decent mileage to justify the PSD pick. By that time, you are spending a ton more $$$ for no real reason when you could avoid it all by grabbing the V-10

Now, if you are driving alot of miles, I'd grab the 6.4, delete the DPF/tune it and then drive happy.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Yes and also if you have the option of deleting junk off these trucks makes a huge difference in what you might want to buy.

If I lived somewhere that they smog tested all the time, I would choose a 7.3 or a 6.7 .

6.0's and 6.4's are a lot better tuned, so i would only buy one if i COULD tune it.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

i get a real average of 16 mpg 45-60 mph, not towing, not hauling, with a stock(DPF/EGR and no tune) 6.4 srw. im 3k from 200K mi. i drive 80 miles a day.

Oil and fuel filter service cost 200 bucks at a shop, so you may want to keep that in mind.

To the OP its sad that you just put 6k into your 6.0 i wish you would have posted that before you had the work done. I would have directed you to Powerstrokehelp.com

This owner claims that with only 4k you can Bomb proof any 6.0 and turn it into a dependable truck that should net you years of trouble free driving

Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by parkland
Yes and also if you have the option of deleting junk off these trucks makes a huge difference in what you might want to buy.

If I lived somewhere that they smog tested all the time, I would choose a 7.3 or a 6.7 .

6.0's and 6.4's are a lot better tuned, so i would only buy one if i COULD tune it.
hahaha no smoggin here in my area yet, i just have a hard time spending that amount of money.... but i want to soon

Quick Reply: V10 and diesel mileage