Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Senior User

sscarboro is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much should it cost me?

How much should it cost me to have a dealer program my spedo to correct for larger tires.

I just put a set of F350 18" wheels and tires on my F250 and they are taller than what was on there. I want to have the spedo corrected and the only way I know of is to have the dealer do it.

Thanks

Steve
Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
figure 30 minutes to 1 hour of labor....when it'll take them 5 minutes

what size are the F-350 wheels? your speedo might be correct even though those tires are larger. The Superduty comes with many different sizes from the factory. So if those tires are OEM sized...you might have a correct speedo

but yeah, plan on $50-100 easy for the fix
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Elder User

bunklash is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's what I would do. If you don't have one, borrow a friend's GPS. It will tell you your actual speed, then you can see what your speedo is reading at key speeds.
Happiness doesn't come from getting what you want, it comes from appreciating what you have!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
figure 30 minutes to 1 hour of labor....when it'll take them 5 minutes

what size are the F-350 wheels? your speedo might be correct even though those tires are larger. The Superduty comes with many different sizes from the factory. So if those tires are OEM sized...you might have a correct speedo

but yeah, plan on $50-100 easy for the fix
The original wheels were 17" and the King Ranch wheels I now have are 18" with 275 X 70R 16. They are about 2 inches taller than the stock tires.

I do have a GPS and it shows a 4MPH faster speed when the spedo reads 65mph. I'm guessing this is somewhere around an 8% difference. At this rate I would show an additional 80 miles on the odometer for every 1000 miles traveled. I'd just like for it to be more accurate than that.

Steve
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
I think.. If you or a friend has A.E. you can change it your self. I may be wrong, but for some reason i thought i read it somewhere...

Im sure someone will correct me
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 AM
Elder User

onug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Actually, your larger tires are spinning more slowely than your old tires. So you'll have 80 fewer miles on the odo for every 1,000 miles traveled.

But either way, I would just get a basic reader or programmer that allows you to make the adjustments yourself. Then you can adjust and verify all day long without multiple trips to the dealership.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by onug View Post
Actually, your larger tires are spinning more slowely than your old tires. So you'll have 80 fewer miles on the odo for every 1,000 miles traveled.

But either way, I would just get a basic reader or programmer that allows you to make the adjustments yourself. Then you can adjust and verify all day long without multiple trips to the dealership.

Well, like so much else in my life, I got it wrong. I stand corrected, should have spent another few minutes thinking about that. Anyway I want the odometer to read right.

Steve
Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
It is 6% difference. Some speedometers have bigger errors leaving the factory.
I would not worry about it too much, just when you go to a dealer for something else, ask them about resetting. Adjust oil changes.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Don't pay the dealership for it. Odds are they won't get it exactly right and you'll have to go back and pay more if you want it right on. Instead, find someone with AutoEnginuity to do it for free or some beer, or invest in one yourself, they are very useful.

The reason I said they may need multiple tries, is I currently have 315/75r16 tires, which is pretty much a 35" tire. I went through several reprogrammings with AE and finally got it right on with something like 33.25" tire setting. I suppose with sidewall bag and tire slippage that may be accurate, but it definitely wasn't my first guess.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Postmaster

galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Agree, made this mistake back with our '05. Ended up paying them for 1 hour for their 5 minutes of work and they changed nothing. Money would have better well spent towards a tuner that can do it better.
'08 CVPI
'09 F150 5.4L
'10 Mustang GT
Old 04-14-2012, 03:18 PM