Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Semper Fi MOFO!

Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thronsonskip
Question Electric fuel pump 6.9 IDI

what electric pumps are you guys buying for you IDI's to bypass that mechanical pump? is there a brand and model number? im thinking about bypassing my lift pump and putting and electrical pump on it while im doing an injector and line install.
00EX7.3 powerstop rotors, coated calipers, pads, 6637 filter, FRX, HPX, cobalt gauges, riff raff boots/plenum inserts. alternator 1/30/2012 199226 miles. oil filter, pre&fuel filter 9/2014 226221 Miles. "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
many guys here run the Facet Duralift pump. they're preferred because they can suck fuel as much as 10 feet up, unlike most pumps that prefer to push not pull.
others are running a carter or airtex pump made for diesel.
anyone who has tried the mr. gasket pump has posted with bad results and short life.

personally, i have an airtex pump set up in an unusual way: its in line with the mechanical lift pump (which is less than a year old), and is wired to only run when the glow plugs are on, making it a starting aid only, for when i have air in the lines. for only running 15 seconds at a time a couple times a day, it'll last forever i'm sure.
for doing it this way, i still use the mechanical pump i just bought last year, but have a backup for starting with air intrusion, and in the event of the mechanical pump failing, i just have to bypass it and change one wire on my e-pump, and i'm back on the road. i see it as the best of both worlds, others here see it as a pointless system. you decide for your truck.
as you know, most guys who do it remove/bypass the original lift pump and have the e-pump wired up so it has power whenever the fuel solenoid on the IP has power
Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Semper Fi MOFO!

Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thronsonskip
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades View Post
many guys here run the Facet Duralift pump. they're preferred because they can suck fuel as much as 10 feet up, unlike most pumps that prefer to push not pull.
others are running a carter or airtex pump made for diesel.
anyone who has tried the mr. gasket pump has posted with bad results and short life.

personally, i have an airtex pump set up in an unusual way: its in line with the mechanical lift pump (which is less than a year old), and is wired to only run when the glow plugs are on, making it a starting aid only, for when i have air in the lines. for only running 15 seconds at a time a couple times a day, it'll last forever i'm sure.
for doing it this way, i still use the mechanical pump i just bought last year, but have a backup for starting with air intrusion, and in the event of the mechanical pump failing, i just have to bypass it and change one wire on my e-pump, and i'm back on the road. i see it as the best of both worlds, others here see it as a pointless system. you decide for your truck.
as you know, most guys who do it remove/bypass the original lift pump and have the e-pump wired up so it has power whenever the fuel solenoid on the IP has power

when i had lift pumps fail they pump fuel into the crankcase, wouldnt your electric on just do that if the pump failed and you tried to use it to get home? or you have 2 sets of hoses?
00EX7.3 powerstop rotors, coated calipers, pads, 6637 filter, FRX, HPX, cobalt gauges, riff raff boots/plenum inserts. alternator 1/30/2012 199226 miles. oil filter, pre&fuel filter 9/2014 226221 Miles. "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
b-uno,
there is a button called search opposite from the new thread button. I bet you could find 8 hundred million threads on this forum with all the information about electric fuel pumps in these trucks. Plus you wouldn't have to wait hours for people to post the same stuff again and again and again...

Just saying..
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Semper Fi MOFO!

thronsonskip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecgod13 View Post
b-uno,
there is a button called search opposite from the new thread button. I bet you could find 8 hundred million threads on this forum with all the information about electric fuel pumps in these trucks. Plus you wouldn't have to wait hours for people to post the same stuff again and again and again...

Just saying..

never heard of this button.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
pesky broken search button.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...l#post10774080
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Postmaster

hairyboxnoogle is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ranger_nog hairyboxnoogle
Well since this is up here anyway, anyone know right off what the flow on the dura lift is? Seems most electric pumps for diesels are either low volume or high pressure.

'92 F-250 XLT
- Supercab, 4x4, ZF, 7.3 ATS 088, D50 SAS-PMF 2.25" RSK / 10.5LS, SD e-fuel, HPC e-fans
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle View Post
Well since this is up here anyway, anyone know right off what the flow on the dura lift is? Seems most electric pumps for diesels are either low volume or high pressure.
Application: Refrigeration trucks, marine generator sets, diesel filtration systems, industrial applications, and other diesel lift applications. These pumps are rated for diesel fuel, gasoline, blended alcohol fuels, and fuel additives.

Solid State Reliability: Proven on many original equipment applications No electrical contacts. No bearings or diaphragms to wear out or fatigue. Endurance life almost doubles that of our nearest competitor.

Easy to Install-Easy to Service: Two bolt mounting makes installations easy. Nothing to adjust. The pump is self-priming to 120 inches (3.0 m). Vertical mounting is preferred to assure maintenance of rated pressures. The transparent housing allows for visual capability to monitor the cleanliness of the stainless steel filter.

Eliminates Vapor Lock: When properly installed on most vehicles a constant, smooth, dependable supply of fuel under pressure is assured in the hottest weather or in high altitudes.

• Self-priming with a 10 ft. minimum lift
• Transient Protection
• Check valve
• 4 hour dry run
• Self-regulating
• 33 - 50 GPH
• 15 - 9 PSI

• VCA approved EC 95/54

• State-of-the-Art Electronic
• Sealed Electronics
• Reverse Polarity Protection
• Corrosion Resistant over 100 hours salt spray
• Durable Transparent fuel bowl
• Light Weight - 3LBs at 7 1/4”
• Low Power Requirements 1.4 amp on average
• Operating Temperature Range: -40F to 180F
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.joshofalltrades has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-uno View Post
when i had lift pumps fail they pump fuel into the crankcase, wouldnt your electric on just do that if the pump failed and you tried to use it to get home? or you have 2 sets of hoses?
to use it to get home, i would have to change the wiring and the plumbing. i have plenty of hose in the vehicle at all times, as i run a mobile auto repair service from this van.
changing it over to running independent isn't just a flip of a switch, it would be re-routing the wire that controls the relay for it AND bypassing the lift pump
Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Senior User

drewdole is starting off with a positive reputation.
my durolift facit works great mounted under the hood too no problem yachtsupplydepot.com
Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Senior User

6.9 diesel nut is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too have been wondering about switching to the electric lift pump. My truck starts hard, even with the block heater plugged in. It could sit for 30 min. and starting would be hard. I have no glow plugs, so I have been "Plugging in the truck". I was wondering if I had a fuel issue. Is the Electric lift pump better than the mechanical one? I'm wondering if the truck is losing its prime.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 AM
Posting Guru

tecgod13 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.9 diesel nut View Post
I too have been wondering about switching to the electric lift pump. My truck starts hard, even with the block heater plugged in. It could sit for 30 min. and starting would be hard. I have no glow plugs, so I have been "Plugging in the truck". I was wondering if I had a fuel issue. Is the Electric lift pump better than the mechanical one? I'm wondering if the truck is losing its prime.
What do you mean "no glow plugs"?? First thing you should do is get 8 new Motorcraft (Beru) glow plugs and figure that system out. The top two stickied threads on the forum describe the two systems. You probably have the older style unless someone replaced it.

Secondly, look up air intrusion, though I think glow plugs are your primary issue.

Electric pumps treat the symptoms, they do not fix the underlying problems.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Senior User

Right now, Drive train is priority. I'm putting the glow plugs after the drive train(Tranny and T case). I don't mind plugging the truck in until then. I'm saying, the truck shouldn't take 5 to 6 seconds to start after sitting for 30 min, assuming the engine was running 30 min. ago and completely warmed up,either by running it or the block heater. Also, there is a small leak at the fuel pump. I'm just wondering if an electric lift pump is better than the stock pump.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Postmaster

since your lift pump is leaking, i call it JUNK. therefore, you'll be buying a fuel pump ASAP, and the only question is which type to get. considering that, the general consensus around here has been to go with the electric.

on the subject of your hard starting, an air intrusion issue on an otherwise perfect truck will start as follows: warm up glow plugs, crank engine, starts almost instantly but dies after 1-2 seconds, crank for a long time to get fuel back up there.
your problem sounds more like the glow plugs are CAUSING your hard starting.
in my van, with good plugs and not losing prime, i never have to crank for more than a second to have her running
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Senior User

Hmm, My truck will sometimes: Crank for 5 seconds, fire but not start, stumble for a second, than start with blue smoke. When it cranks, white smoke pours from the tail pipe, than goes away when it starts.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
69, 69l, 73, aftermarket, airtex, diesel, f250, fuel, idi, lift, oreillys, performance, problems, pump, reviews