1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

could someone help me out with engine block colors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh Yea just remove the v-covers should not be any oil pour out unless the valve guild seal have crack into little pieces and now plugged up the oil return end holes in the head..
Which should be cleaned out any way. Now when replacing the gasket use rtv for motors and only on the upper side of the valve covers gasket. This mostly to hold it from coming loose. I like to set them on a clean surface side by side with some weight ovre the top like a 4x4 block of wood until rtv setups.

If your going to paint the bolts even a different color or keep them in order after you've cleaned them.

I use the valve cover gasket packaging once the gasket have been removed or any cardboard and punch many x type of hold with like 1/4"-3/8 size screwdriver and push your bolts all into the x holds to hold them so you can now paint them and just leave them in this cardboard until needed..

If you put rtv on both sides of the gasket you'll play hell not to bend it when ever you try removing it next time when needed. Then only torque to 4-6lbs max.

If the valve cover have been over tighten place upside down on a hard surface and tap it flat with a small hammer until it's even with the rest of the gasket flat edge surfaces.

Orich

Old 09-06-2014, 02:26 PM
oklaecono
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well.after some research I found the red top and black bottom is how mine came down the line. I do have a couple of other questions..I need to find a sterring wheel and then the metal retainer big piece that the steering wheel shaft goes thru. I want to find some OEM If I can and have them chromed..but I have no idea where to start ...

anyone help out there?

thanks
Steve

Old 09-06-2014, 07:09 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by oklaecono
Well.after some research I found the red top and black bottom is how mine came down the line. I do have a couple of other questions..I need to find a sterring wheel and then the metal retainer big piece that the steering wheel shaft goes thru. I want to find some OEM If I can and have them chromed..but I have no idea where to start ...

anyone help out there?

thanks
Steve
Don't know what kind of steering wheel your looking for and the metal ring? Only a guess =The spline hub? for aftermarket wheels? Post some pictures of what your looking for..
orich

Old 09-08-2014, 07:20 PM
oklaecono
Freshman User
Originally Posted by orich
Don't know what kind of steering wheel your looking for and the metal ring? Only a guess =The spline hub? for aftermarket wheels? Post some pictures of what your looking for..
orich
Well.that's just it. I dont know what I am looking for. I really don't know what "aftermarket" is avialable out there and what would fit. I would like to look at what some others have done but here again, I am having trouble finding examples on the web. I can find pictures of interiors but, no one tells what they used as that's usually not why the picture was posted to begin with...any help would help...

Steve

Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Well.that's just it. I dont know what I am looking for. I really don't know what "aftermarket" is avialable out there and what would fit. I would like to look at what some others have done but here again, I am having trouble finding examples on the web. I can find pictures of interiors but, no one tells what they used as that's usually not why the picture was posted to begin with...any help would help...

Steve
Generally you can get any aftermarket steering wheel you taste likes. They are generally made universal. Along with that wheel you must buy their "horn kit" which adapts that wheel to your steering column. It will have the splined hub,horn contact area,and the center horn button. AKA, the wheel is universal,the horn kit is specific.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 PM
orich
Lead Driver
(1) The ford hub shaft size 3/4"

(2) 36 teeth for the shaft spline

(3) wheel & horn choose one
Grant makes a lot of styles guys like and buy.
Orich

Old 09-09-2014, 07:47 AM
oklaecono
Freshman User
Thanks so much for the reply. I have done the cardboard holding trick many times before...but the "rtf" you mention?? That nomenclature is above my head this morning....

This is the color mine should be: (engine block, vcg..etc..)

Mump 0308 07 +correct Mustang Engine Paint Color+ V8 1964 289 - Photo 29737244 - How To Choose The Correct Paint For Your Vintage Mustang Engine - Mustang Monthly Magazine

Anyway..I am going to go with the red...although I have a dupli color number for the red, (I CANT FIND THAT COLOR NUMBER NOW) ...it doesn't come up when I do a search at Summit..or anywhere for that matter.. Maybe the red is so old that the numbers are not kept any more???

I know that I bought this truck , 65 ford econoline pickup out of Kansas. It was hauled there when the owner moved from California 10 years earlier. he then after moving to Kansas had the engine and transmission overhauled and he drove it spariling after that.

I just need to clean up the engine bay area and the engine and transmission's blocks and then paint everything in the doghouse.

I would think I dont need to pull the engine/trans just to clean things up correct? If I did pull them...can't it come out from the bottom??

Thanks in advance!!!

Steve Campbell

Oh Yea just remove the v-covers should not be any oil pour out unless the valve guild seal have crack into little pieces and now plugged up the oil return end holes in the head..
Which should be cleaned out any way. Now when replacing the gasket use rtv for motors and only on the upper side of the valve covers. This mostly to hold it from coming loose. I like to set them on a clean surface side by side with some weight onve the top like a 4x4 block of wood until rtv setups.

If your going to paint the bolts even a different color or keep them in order after you've cleaned them.

I use the valve cover packaging once gasket have been removed or any cardboard and punch many x type of hold with like 1/4"-3/8 size screwdriver and push your bolts all into the x holds to hold them so you can now paint them and just leave them in this cardboard until needed..

If you put rtv on both sides you'll play hell not to bend them when ever you try removing them next time when needed. Then only torque to 4-6lbs max.

If the valve cover have been over tighten place upside down on a hard surface and tap it flat with a small hammer until it's even with the rest of the gasket flat edge surfaces.

Orich

Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Hmm well for this page is basically is for pickups trucks & not vans. So not many will have the info you seek. You should post in the Van page.

But we can give you general engine & chassis problems info.

Oh when replacing valve cover Gasket Only Use RTV on the upper side of the "Gasket"
Hope that clears up my other posting.

Orich

Old 09-09-2014, 09:12 PM
oklaecono
Freshman User
Where to Post

I have a 1965 Ford Econoline Pickup...so I thought this was the page? If not, then where do I post?

I am also trying to find these..and not having much luck what so ever. They are the hinges that my tailgate requires and I googled it and only found one link..which really surprised me..

>>>THE HINGES REQUIRED FOR THE '64 -67 E100 ECONOLINE PICKUP ARE >>>FORD OEM PART NUMBER: C1UB-8743000-B

Any help would be appreciated..
thanks
Steve

Hmm well for this page is basically is for pickups trucks & not vans. So not many will have the info you seek. You should post in the Van page.

Oh when replacing valve cover Gasket Only Use RTV on the upper side of the "Gasket"

Orich

Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM
oklaecono
Freshman User
Gaskets

When I was growing up and we were racing in Tx on the weekends, I learned everything I ever wanted to know about engines..etc.. now, after all these years..I have to blow the cobwebs out of my brain just to keep up..

When you say "RTV" ..I still am at a loss...AND what do you all suggest for material when replacing gaskets? We use to use permantex or the like when changing out the VCG....do y ou all still use that stuff? Or anything at all?

I am trying to do as much as i can to this engine so i dont have to go back and redo something because i might not have tought about it at the time...I know the componets on the outside of the engine will be chromed where possible..I dont know about the air box, air cleaner.I dont know what came on the engine when new...I am still looking around though, hmm..damn, another earthquake here....I hate these things...anyway, I am going to change out the carb...just for a bit of performance..nothing to get carried away along with header..etc.. but is there or do you have pictgures of some engines that shows some cool ideas???

Thanks so much
Steve

Orich

Old 09-10-2014, 01:23 PM
quinletc
Senior User
When you say "RTV" ..I still am at a loss...AND what do you all suggest for material when replacing gaskets? We use to use permantex or the like when changing out the VCG....do y ou all still use that stuff? Or anything at all?

Thanks so much
Steve
Permatex is RTV.

If you do some searches in this forum, there are a couple of recent discussions of gaskets and the use of Permatex. In fact, "permatex" is probably the only search term you need, except maybe you should also search "RTV."

Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 PM
orich
Lead Driver
When I was growing up and we were racing in Tx on the weekends, I learned everything I ever wanted to know about engines..etc.. now, after all these years..I have to blow the cobwebs out of my brain just to keep up..

I am trying to do as much as i can to this engine so i dont have to go back and redo something because i might not have tought about it at the time...I know the componets on the outside of the engine will be chromed where possible..I dont know about the air box, air cleaner.I dont know what came on the engine when new...I am still looking around though, hmm..damn, another earthquake here....I hate these things...anyway, I am going to change out the carb...just for a bit of performance..nothing to get carried away along with header..etc.. but is there or do you have pictgures of some engines that shows some cool ideas???

Thanks so much
Steve
You can use a tube of Ultra Black RTV You can use any brand name like Permatex.
Geez you've better come out of the stone age of old skool of when we all used Indian Chief Shellac for everything then Permatex form a gasket came along. The sealer of today kind of a Slang RTV sealer a number of company's make it..

orich

Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 PM
oklaecono
Freshman User
I remember

You can use a tube of Ultra Black RTV You can use any brand name like Permatex.
Geez you've better come out of the stone age of old skool of when we all used Indian Chief Shellac for everything then Permatex form a gasket came along. The sealer of today kind of a Slang RTV sealer a number of company's make it..

orich
YEAH...I remember those days...I reallly do.
Anyway..the incident where I have a problem with my tailgate hinges..does anyone have any suggestions on what or where to get some other then just flat out gettin' hammers out and making some??

I have 1965 ford econoline pickup...the only tailgate parts that are offered aren't much and they are either for styleside bed or some type of other side of bed...

thanks
Stev

Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 PM
orich
Lead Driver
YEAH...I remember those days...I reallly do.
Anyway..the incident where I have a problem with my tailgate hinges..does anyone have any suggestions on what or where to get some other then just flat out gettin' hammers out and making some??

I have 1965 ford econoline pickup...the only tailgate parts that are offered aren't much and they are either for styleside bed or some type of other side of bed...

thanks
Stev
Don't know where any of those kinds of parts would be.
But other part Mac's has stuff for many vehicle types.
Maybe Dennis Carpenter or NPD our other parts dealers.
orich

Old 09-11-2014, 12:35 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I have a 1965 Ford Econoline Pickup...so I thought this was the page? If not, then where do I post?

I am also trying to find these..and not having much luck what so ever. They are the hinges that my tailgate requires and I googled it and only found one link..which really surprised me..

>>>THE HINGES REQUIRED FOR THE '64 -67 E100 ECONOLINE PICKUP ARE >>>FORD OEM PART NUMBER: C1UB-8743000-B

Any help would be appreciated..
thanks
Steve
You are correct on the part number but nobody shows them on the parts locators. The Econoline pickups were rare back in the day let alone now. Can you rebuild your old ones? Oversize pin or something?

Quick Reply: could someone help me out with engine block colors?