1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by lilsmokey
Thanks! Ouch. For that price i might just stick with a 4 speed and 10mpg for the time being. Looks like a nice enough kit. Good luck with your project bud. Ill be watching it happen.
Here's another, short term option. The previous owner of my '71 had put a T170FS out of a mid 80's F-Series in the '71. It bolted right up to the FE bellhousing and provides 3 forward gears and a 4th overdrive. Granted it's no heavy-weight, but if you're just looking for an OD transmission to use for a daily driver, you might give it a look-see.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks for the lead. I may have to look into that just for giggles...

'did some research and it's also known as the SROD (single rail overdrive)... folks consider that a red-headed stepchild of a tranny.

But I'll do more research...

Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
LITTLE BLACK TRUCK
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great build! I look forward to watchin your progress.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:49 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
A Modicum of Success - Rebuilt Calipers!

The calipers came out of the vat looking good. Shot it with Rustoleum silver engine paint, a light hone, and rebuilt them with a new seal and boot.

Installing the square cut seal with no problem. However, lubing the piston and boot, and then encouraging the lower lip of the boot to seat required mucho patience. It was like try to catch a greased pig. The factory manual says to use a non-metallic tool to to push the lip down into the groove... I used the backside of a plastic knife (the dull side of course !) and seated her home.

Back into the parts bin it goes until installation day... ooh, still need to order brake pads. Any suggestions?

On deck is the crusty master cylinder.... it's almost done cooking in the vat. Here is what I started with.

Cost from the JY: $10
Rebuild kit from NPD: $24.95

Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 PM
nobearsyet
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raybestos brake pads, or a ceramic pad, here the duralast gold pads are pretty good, but haven't tried them yet.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Tsoptich
Senior User
Subscribed!!! Looks good like the direction your going in and I have to say I admire layout level of patience.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:16 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nobearsyet
raybestos brake pads, or a ceramic pad, here the duralast gold pads are pretty good, but haven't tried them yet.
Hmm. Raybestos equips NASCAR race teams so I figure they've got the technology and reputation.. three compound choices too. Btw, I think Duralast Gold pads are made by Raybestos.. I mean, it's not like Autozone has their own production line.. and I learned Wix makes the NAPA Gold oil filters.

Originally Posted by Tsoptich
Subscribed!!! Looks good like the direction your going in and I have to say I admire layout level of patience.
Thanks for joining. As you can see, I'll throw in tech tips when I can... the electrolysis set-up works wonders. It's like a daily science experiment to see if it worked. And by golly, it always does!

I've learned patience by being a fisherman.... Plus, my engineering professor once said, "Treat every piece like a work of art and remember, Rome wasn't built in a day."

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM
HOODRAT
Freshman User
i also am intrested in the 3g swap. i have had alot of trouble with alts. on my 69 right how only charging about 11.5. not nearly enough. was fixn to try a 1 wire one but i am against chebbie parts! this sounds much better.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by HOODRAT
i also am intrested in the 3g swap. i have had alot of trouble with alts. on my 69 right how only charging about 11.5. not nearly enough. was fixn to try a 1 wire one but i am against chebbie parts! this sounds much better.
Here are threads pertaining to the 3G retrofit:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...g-upgrade.html
3G_Alternator
3G Alternator TECH [Archive] - FSB Forums

Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 PM
firedup
Junior User
Originally Posted by Duct Tape Racing
Youl love the headers both performance and ease of installation. Great all around !
Keep up the good work and progress! I'm gonna follow this for sure
Ease of installation? Mine has a set of older stainless long tube headers on it i recently did a starter and i think it'd be a bitch to get them in there as in having to lift the engine - but you got them in there without all that how much were they- i'm curious i don't need to replace yet but -Mines a 360 which is essentially the same motor -

Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by firedup
Ease of installation? Mine has a set of older stainless long tube headers on it i recently did a starter and i think it'd be a bitch to get them in there as in having to lift the engine - but you got them in there without all that how much were they- i'm curious i don't need to replace yet but -Mines a 360 which is essentially the same motor -
I think Duct Tape was referring to the shorty Sandersons that I will be installing. .. it's one reason I went with shortys cuz I didn't want to have to lift the engine to install 'em.

The ceramic coated Sandersons were <gulp> $525. Plain steel is around $375 IIRC.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by firedup
the shorty sandersons? i think were talkin about different headers

Old 12-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Ford 67 Ford
Senior User
Nice work so far. Later.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
It's here! E-Street EFI !!!

Some of you may know that I have had little time to spend on my project due to a house remodel so I've been gathering parts where and when I can. For Christmas, I figured on taking profits on some stocks (it's "play money") so I treated my 'low buck project' to an EFI system.

After five months being backordered and on a waiting list... it finally arrived in the big brown truck! Aint it purty?:

Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yup, I was thinking about going with the efi but thought gees I'd be screwed out on the road trying to fix the system if I that a problem with it. Old skool is ez to fix a long the side of the road for an old fart...
orich

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build