1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I chose the Edelbrock system because they're unlikely to go out of business or be taken over like Holley just did with MSD.
Unfortunately, no business/corporation is immune from eventual demise. Hopefully, Edelbrock will continue to be around for a long time but, the future is always uncertain.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
The Holley brothers (George and Earl) started their company in the late 1800s. They had produced over 250,000,000 carburetors and at one time were major suppliers to Detroit as well as a vast aftermarket supply chain and now, they are no more. At a time when they had been in business for a good while and doing very well, they probably never thought the company would go under or, have to sell out to a competitor.

Times moved on, economic climates changed and so did the competition.

Unfortunately, no business/corporation is immune from eventual demise. Hopefully, Edelbrock will continue to be around for a long time but, the future is always uncertain.

True. I have a stock market portfolio ("The Ferrari Fund") and continuously hedge my bets on the best available information, a reasonable set of assumptions, and economic trends in order to make an informed decision.

Using the same principle applied to deciding on an EFI system, Edelbrock was my choice.

At that time, Holley had not yet released the Terminator and MSD's Atomic didn't have a wireless interface. The only other EFI sytems at the time were Professional Products' "Powerjection", COMP Group's "FAST" EZ-EFI 1.0, and Megasquirt. QuickFuel's "QuickEFI" has only been on the market for about a year now.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:31 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraranger
This almost happened to FORD Motor Company. Post WWII time. Henry Ford was not really with it upstairs anymore and had a few "yes" men around him keeping him going. One example is Henry Ford gave unused money BACK to the U.S. Government since he would no longer be building any War machinery that the government had pre-paid. He is the only one out of all the government's suppliers to do so. Because he had lost his good leadership skills and the company was doing real bad, His own wife (Clara) and his own daughter-in-law (Eleanor,Edsel's wife) got together and ousted Henry. Between the two of them they had more shares than Henry. They put Edsel and Eleanor's Son in charge since Edsel was no longer on this Earth. That was Henry Ford II. And the company came back.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:47 PM
71Nky
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thankfully

Old 10-10-2015, 12:10 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Good history, I love it...

Baja

Old 10-12-2015, 01:52 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Except there's a giant problem with most of those products, especially the motorcycle ones... They're not designed to be aimed and don't have a cut-off line.

Having the power of the sun in your headlights is awesome... Unless you're oncoming traffic....

This is why HID kits with a very defined cut-off are much better than any LED set-up any day of the week (especially during nights), and twice as good on Sunday's...

I retrofit an 35W 6000K (pure white light) HID kit into my motorcycle. I've never had someone flash their high beams at me for blinding them at night. I highly doubt the drivers if any of those vehicles can say the same.
Like any light - halogen, HID, LED... - the light is only as good as the projector and/or housing and each style is application specific.

I've ordered from SuperBrightLEDs.com before and was overall pretty happy. They're one of two companies to pass my unicorn test which automatically makes them cool on my list. Any time I order a product online, I always add "Draw me a unicorn" in the comments section. When I ordered from them, I came home to this.

Name:  If9D3EZ.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  1.59 MB

Old 10-12-2015, 11:34 AM
71Nky
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is hilarious!

Old 10-12-2015, 02:06 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by 71Nky
That is hilarious!
2X.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:44 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
That is just too damn funny, Jackson!!!LMAO!!

Old 10-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Fingers 351
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, very nice

Old 10-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
Like any light - halogen, HID, LED... - the light is only as good as the projector and/or housing and each style is application specific.
Agreed.

If you take a look back at the post I quoted there were motorcycle's and SUV's with LED headlights... but without having a projector to concentrate the light through. Very, very dangerous.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:22 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
When I was young, I could see quite well in dark conditions, but as I've grown older (not grown up), my night vision has dimmed a bit. (perhaps like my wit ?), and it seems that more light is better for me. Fore sure, my old 7" seal beams put out the same amount of lumens, as they did in 1968, but my eyes just can't discern it like they used to. Its like my truck has cataracts, or I do. My solution, drive more in the daytime, and talk to my eye Dr. Meanwhile, I am learning a bit from you all, and will follow Troz's & Aaron's lead. Thanks everybody, good info here...

Baja

Old 10-15-2015, 10:02 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Russ if you have not done the 3G alternator upgrade then it's time. Or even a 100 amp will brighten up some what better. No dim head light when coming to a stop like with 62-67 amp that's on it now or the oem one.

Orich

Old 10-15-2015, 11:22 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Thanks amigo, will go look at it now.. on evilbay? Any source recommendations? I usually look for 'free shipping' .. Other than that qual, I am not too picky...

Baja

Old 10-15-2015, 12:05 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Thanks amigo, will go look at it now.. on evilbay? Any source recommendations? I usually look for 'free shipping' .. Other than that qual, I am not too picky...

Baja
I picked up these Autolocs for dirt cheap a few years ago and recently installed them on my '73. The integral amber portion are intended as turn signals but I'm using them as daytime running lights.

Here's a link from the Tech Info Compilation for Euro H4 headlamps: Hella E-Code H4 Headlights - PAIR Currently, $70 for a pair. Be advised the headlight buckets will need to be clearanced to allow the big ol' rubber housing seal on the back to fit in...

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build