1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work Hio! The new seats and carpet look great! You will love the sound your doors don't make after you insulate them.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:53 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Nice work Hio! The new seats and carpet look great! You will love the sound your doors don't make after you insulate them.
Thanks guys. She has come a loooong way. This morning I emailed the before, during, and after pics to the PO. He hasn't seen it in person since he and his wife whose grandfather originally purchased it in Idaho, sold it to me. I think he has been keeping her family in the loop with its transformation under her skin. I'm gonna swing it by their house soon for them to check it out .

I got off work early and decided to take off the door panels...No surprises per se except for seeing that the factory sprayed "some" sound deadener in the driver's door shell. On the passenger side? Zero. Zippo. Nada. I hosed out the shells to remove the built up dirt and grit. I'll dose the inside bottoms with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator to hedge off existing corrosion. On my 73, I did the same except with Rustoleum gloss black......btw, a slick surface holds much less dirt than a rough surface due to significantly lower surface tension.

On the interior, I test fitted the late 80s/early 90s Bronco console. The upgraded TMI foam has fatter bolsters which, unfortunately, don't leave enough room for the more square console. The bolsters make contact. Boo! Luckily, I had also picked a slimmer console from a '95 F150 XLT and it fits! Using some 2x4 blocking, it'll need a bracket or base to raise it three inches off the floor. I think I can use the space for additional storage and the front side of the bracket/base incorporating a fire extinguisher bracket. Stay tuned.....

Btw, any of you guys have any creative ideas what to do with a "scrap" bench seat???

Old 08-03-2015, 10:51 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scrap bench seat idea? Get creative making some legs for it and push it as man cave furniture. I saw your metal art in the war machine thread, let a few more ideas slip out of your noggin for the legs.

Plans to cover the in cab fuel tank with more black carpet?

Oh and yes the new interior came out nice.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:58 AM
emeraldcoupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
man those seats loo good! do they go back any more? they look pretty close to the wheel.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Wow, the interior looks great!! Nice work, Hio!!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM
abyars111
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seats and interior look great. Nice work.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by emeraldcoupe
man those seats loo good! do they go back any more? they look pretty close to the wheel.

The seat tracks are slid all the way forward and the padding on the head rest contacts the rear window seal but not the glass. It's okay though cuz I'm short... This morning on the way to work I pondered fabbing my own seat brackets to tilt the seat down about an inch since I've got extra brackets and low-back seats for modeling... Oy.

Originally Posted by 67nukeford
Wow, the interior looks great!! Nice work, Hio!!
Getting there!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:50 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Installed 1/4-inch thick, hard rubber spacers under the seatback stops. The headrests on both sides now have plenty of clearance albeit the backs being a touch more vertical. The foams should crush over time... no concerns at this time.

I'm digging how the rear tires are tucked...

Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 PM
abyars111
Elder User
I like the way they're tucked as well and they exhaust exist location looks tough. It's really coming together nicely. You've done a nice job. At first glance, just an old truck, then wait a minute, that stance, look at those pipes, hey, the front bumper has driving lights.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by abyars111
I like the way they're tucked as well and they exhaust exist location looks tough. It's really coming together nicely. You've done a nice job. At first glance, just an old truck, then wait a minute, that stance, look at those pipes, hey, the front bumper has driving lights.
Thanks AB. I appreciate your feedback.

That's EXACTLY what I was after... Subtle until the observer picks up on small clues on the exterior and then starts looking closer and closer. The only giveaway on the interior are the upgraded seats and a Hurst shift arm with a white 5-speed shift ball. I reinstalled the stock AM radio too. Maybe I shouldda named the LBB the "WTF"?

... still need to wire up the driving lights but that'll get done soon enough.

Btw, the other night I couldn't find the ignition switch. I'm feeling the need to install some footwell lights like my Mustangs have. A few years ago a couple of Broncos gave up their engine compartment lights and am gonna dig them up.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:42 AM
abyars111
Elder User
I've been contemplating installing footwell lights myself. I once had a 1979 F150 long bed Ranger XLT. That thing had every option except cruise and the footwell lights where awesome. Why did I sell that thing! Young and dumb.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That wheel tuck is sexy. Well done young man

Old 08-08-2015, 06:49 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Where did you get your volt meter, to replace the amp gauge?? If I may be so bold amigo... I have a dash panel from an old F500 or F600, with the amp gauge, and want to change it for a volt meter... any suggestions as to where I should look to find something that matches the old style ..??

Bajs

Old 08-08-2015, 07:14 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Where did you get your volt meter, to replace the amp gauge?? If I may be so bold amigo... I have a dash panel from an old F500 or F600, with the amp gauge, and want to change it for a volt meter... any suggestions as to where I should look to find something that matches the old style ..??

Baja

All I gots for gauges is a speedo, fuel gauge, and an oil temp gauge.

The Edelbrock EFI tablet has readouts for RPM, volts, coolant temp, and fuel pressure, throttle position, O2, vacuum, etc. It's quite complete. The only gauge the LBB needs now is an oil pressure gauge.

But for conversions, you might want to check out this place: Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations

Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks again amigo, good site.

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build