1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:04 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Nice HIO. I hope there are no hitches in your giddyup tomorrow. Looking forward to your first impressions driving it.

P.S. what did you end up doing for your exhaust? I'll have to go back through maybe I missed it.
Fingers crossed but I think I've been pretty thorough.. this AM I removed the PS belt cuz it needs to be bled with the wheels in the air. Right now she's on all fours on top of wooden platforms to allow clearance for me to work under it... it's low otherwise.

The 2.5 inch exhaust tubes are clamped together and the modified Flowmasters are resting on stands.... no hangers yet.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
The horse is staying the barn for another week. 'Spent most of the day picking up after the recent storms, mended a fence, and tended to domestic duties... now the Niners vs Raiders game is on.

I did get around to installing the battery and preflighting the electrical system... everything short of turning the ignition switch to the "start" position.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:27 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
The horse is staying the barn for another week. 'Spent most of the day picking up after the recent storms, mended a fence, and tended to domestic duties... now the Niners vs Raiders game is on.

I did get around to installing the battery and preflighting the electrical system... everything short of turning the ignition switch to the "start" position.
You gonna make that poor drumer in the back ground keep up the drum roll untill WHEN?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
You gonna make that poor drumer in the back ground keep up the drum roll untill WHEN?
The drummer is taking'er easy by tapping a cadence. Btw, Edelbrock recommends that it have a full tank of fuel. Gonna have to shuttle a few jerry cans sometime this week.

I plunked down another $500 on parts last night for the 70, 71, and 73.... a TSS, armrests, highbeam button pads, another pair of Series 62 wheels, battery hold-down brackets, J-hooks, a glove box liner, hood moulding clips, an Autolite radiator cap (I hate Stants!), sun visor tips, yada.. yada.. yada.

I also drug out the AM radio.. dang it that the PO didn't provide the radio bezel.. it's $75 as a repro. Yikes... Maybe Santa will leave me one in my PM box. <HINT>.

Also got around to thinking about the bucket seat upholstery but that's about it. I might attempt it over the Xmas holidays since we're supposed to be getting a series of storms in NorCal. Might as well be productive when I can't work on the ol' girl due to inclement weather.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 PM
71Nky
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just subscribed to your thread after spending the last few days reading the entire thing. You are doing a great job. My plan for my 71 long bed is similar to yours, so your information imbedded here will come in handy. (without the same marriage thingy, lol)

BTW, I lived in Stockton for a few years when I was stationed at Travis AFB and prior to that I lived in Sherman TX (one of my sisters even went to Austin College there once.)

Good luck on getting her fired up soon.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 71Nky
I just subscribed to your thread after spending the last few days reading the entire thing. You are doing a great job. My plan for my 71 long bed is similar to yours, so your information embedded here will come in handy. (without the same marriage thingy, lol)

BTW, I lived in Stockton for a few years when I was stationed at Travis AFB and prior to that I lived in Sherman TX (one of my sisters even went to Austin College there once.)

Good luck on getting her fired up soon.
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback and support. And thanks for your service. I'm a USN veteran.

I frequent Fairfield (Travis AFB) somewhat frequently. That's where my favorite salvage yard is located and I worked as a land use planner for the city.

Trips to Stockton for me occurs twice a year when Mustangs Plus holds their spring and fall car shows.... Interestingly, I go to the Stockton PickNPull yard before heading to the shows. That yard typically has a good selection of Bumps and Dents due to the agricultural uses in the Central Valley.

I'm looking forward to the five-speed part of this grand experiment. As you may have read, this is somewhat of a test to see if this FE-equipped truck can eke out 20 MPG. My freeway test loop is to and from Bernal Avenue in Pleasanton, a quick on and off on Interstate 680.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:40 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well with my set up i was getting 16 avg so i personally think its very well possible HIO and you have a lot better technology and equipment so it is always a possibility

Old 12-09-2014, 10:21 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smokenchoken
well with my set up i was getting 16 avg so i personally think its very well possible HIO and you have a lot better technology and equipment so it is always a possibility
That's good to know. I plan to drive like a nun and lumber along at 60 mph.... on a Sunday morning.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:34 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 71Nky
(without the same marriage thingy, lol)
That marriage was a classic! Busted me up. I mean LMAO...literally. One of these days I gotta go back through and see what page it's on. So's I can reread it periodically.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:02 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I figured I'd "get back" at the bank to whom I have dutifully payed my mortgage all these years so yesterday I arranged with my "real" bank to withdraw a large sum of $$$$$ in $100 bills.

When I got home I put the bundles into a brown paper bag and cracked open a couple of vitamin b12 capsules, dumped it in, and shook it all about.

This morning I went to the bank holding the title to my house. I met with a customer service rep and told her I wanted to pay off my mortgage. She led me to her cubicle and where she verified my ID, account information, and all that stuff. I had placed my checkbook on her desk in plain sight while she finalized the paperwork.

Then she asked my payment method. I said "Cash", pulled out the paper bag, and dumped out the bundles. Some white powder dusted her desk.

While pushing the bundles towards her I said, "Oh, sorry 'bout that. Don't lick your fingers, OK? Your whole head will go numb".

Merry Xmas to me.

Last edited by HIO Silver; 12-13-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo.. it's "powder".
Old 12-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I figured I'd "get back" at the bank to whom I have dutifully payed my mortgage all these years so yesterday I arranged with my "real" bank to withdraw a large sum of $$$$$ in $100 bills.

When I got home I put the bundles into a brown paper bag and cracked open a couple of vitamin b12 capsules, dumped it in, and shook it all about.

This morning I went to the bank holding the title to my house. I met with a customer service rep and told her I wanted to pay off my mortgage. She led me to her cubicle and where she verified my ID, account information, and all that stuff. I had placed my checkbook on her desk in plain sight while she finalized the paperwork.

Then she asked my payment method. I said "Cash", pulled out the paper bag, and dumped out the bundles. Some white power dusted her desk.

While pushing the bundles towards her I said, "Oh, sorry 'bout that. Don't lick your fingers, OK? Your whole head will go numb".

Merry Xmas to me.
congrats on paying off your mortgage!
congrats on finding a great way to go about it!!

Old 12-13-2014, 02:24 PM
abyars111
Elder User

Then she asked my payment method. I said "Cash", pulled out the paper bag, and dumped out the bundles. Some white power dusted her desk.

Merry Xmas to me.
That's funny. My whole family is rolling on the floor in laughter.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:26 PM
abyars111
Elder User
If you want a used radio bezel put a request on fordification.com . Another place I buy used parts is Facebook groups, one is Fordification and the other is Fixemyourway67-72 . You may not do the Facebook thing but those guys are a great help finding used parts.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:48 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gembone
congrats on paying off your mortgage!
congrats on finding a great way to go about it!!
Thanks! Sooooo happy. The big gorilla is outta my life!!!

Originally Posted by abyars111
That's funny. My whole family is rolling on the floor in laughter.
It was really hard to maintain my composure knowing was was coming to her!

Originally Posted by abyars111
If you want a used radio bezel put a request on fordification.com . Another place I buy used parts is Facebook groups, one is Fordification and the other is Fixemyourway67-72 . You may not do the Facebook thing but those guys are a great help finding used parts.
A fellow FTE'er offered me one and we're making arrangements... and to me Facebook creepy.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:56 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Bwa-ha-ha!
getting even with the BANK...............$100.00
paying off mortgage.........................$10000.00
the look on the Banker's face when
she thinks you're paying with dr** money....PRICELESS!

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build