1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck
Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.
You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
My 30-gallon setup can handle brake drums, rotors, and spindles but it can't handle a driveshaft. It's time to improvise!
Some old fence boards, masonry units, and scrap plastic sheeting and temporary vat is borne. Howz about that?! After a short bucket brigade from the setup, it holds about 10 gallons of solution. We've been having some very rare summer showers so the charger is under a little hut.
The driveshaft is slowly cooking away as indicated by the bubbles. The yoke came out great and is under a coat of primer already.
I just might have to build a good one to handle radius arms.
'Came home from work to find that the driveshaft was done cooking. Yay! Scraped off the remaining grit and black scale with a wire brush, Scotchbrite pad, and then washed off the residue with dishsoap and water. Dried it off, hung it from the painting tree, and gave it three coats (one dry and two wet) of etching primer. It'll get painted and U-joints installed this weekend. I found a free stencil font at 1001fonts.com that which closely matches the original stencil. It's called "Boston Traffic".
The temporary vat was disassembled and most of the solution returned to the permanent vat. EZ. The iron-rich solution is good for your plants.
Printed the PN, hand-cut a stencil, and re-shot the driveshaft PN.. no yellow spray paint on hand so an epoxy appliance white had to do. It's probably just as sloppy as the Milpitas workers did back in the day. The driveshaft is painted cast iron grey to break up the blackness of the suspension.
Not much work on the LBB lately... I'm tired to seeing the yard tractor project in my yard and have been working on it so it can go back to its owner. It's really coming together. The "reveal" is a couple of weeks away!
Lo-Buck Tractor Project Update (from Post #350, Pg. 24)
'Finally got around to shooting the engine cover, foot plates, and a touch-up coat on one cowl cuz I wet-sanded through. Assembled it this evening.
It's Ace Hardware Signal Orange (Rustoleum) through a Harbor Freight HVLP. If there is any trick, it's to thin the paint by about 25 percent. This stuff dries soooo slooowly that the first coat is a light fog that sits for about 15 minutes to tack up, then 15 minutes between coats. .. that's in 80° to 85° temperature. Longer if you've got high humidity. Follow these steps and you'll be rewarded with no sags or runs!
'gotta finish up the electrical, build the cooler rack, and install the seat.
.. then it's back to the LBB. I did install new U-joints and reassemble the driveshaft.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.