Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chevrolet's desperation taken to hilarious new level.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The demise of the E-series vans may spawn a different power train.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm eagarly waiting for the Ford Pinto vs Chevette comparison. I would laugh my a** off if someone were to find one on Youtube.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 PM
5wests
Senior User
Quote: "GM is famous for hosting things like this...Where they compare their trucks to Ford and/or Dodge with their truck always winning by a landslide in every scenario they test them in. Yet they somehow neglect to leave out crucial information such as gear ratio/curbweight/transmission type...etc...etc."

GM is owned by the government....did you expect a fair comparison?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
5wests
Senior User
Pinto vs Vega ....factory comparison

Originally Posted by SMIGGS
I'm eagarly waiting for the Ford Pinto vs Chevette comparison. I would laugh my a** off if someone were to find one on Youtube.

2010 Nostalgiafest Inj FC Run #2 - YouTube

Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Here ya go! Lol.

There's a few other cars thrown into the mix but the Pinto and Chevette are there!

1977 Dodge Colt Hemi Comparison Ford Pinto Chevy Vega Chevette Datsun B210 Promo - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 09:28 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Here ya go! Lol.

There's a few other cars thrown into the mix but the Pinto and Chevette are there!
Finally! I comparison video that has some relavance!......

5wests,

Cool vid. Both cars look like a pretty scary ride!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you who don't live in the "snow belt", you should see how well those stiff a$$ hydroformed frames hold up with you hang 800 to 1000 lbs of snow plow off the front. Not to mention the extremely wimpy IFS front ends dragging on the ground when you pick the blade up. It's not uncommon to find stress cracks in the front section of the frame on the 88 and newer IFS GM trucks that are using snow plows. They are typically found right behind the rear most upper control arm mount. I have seen several situations where the frame rail broke right off in this area, and that was on 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton models. As for the locking differential that GM uses, it's a joke too... it's the G80 code "Gov Loc". Also known as "Gov Bomb" These so called lockers in order to lock in require a difference in speed from one wheel to another in order to kick in. It's not uncommon to see these launch through the cover and splatter on the ground. All it takes to destroy a Gov Loc is getting stuck and mashing the gas a little too hard then BOOM! Pieces and parts everywhere! Tough trucks huh?
John

Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I came across a snow plow forum a while back on cracked frames with GM trucks with snow plows. Forgot what exactly got me there but I was reading for a while. Kinda funny guys talking about how they are welding up frames on their new trucks.

As for GMs "locker" I've seen vids of how it works and how much speed difference is needed and how jerky it is. I didn't know it was that weak. Honestly I wish Ford would just offer a Trutrac diff option on their trucks or at least a LS that is not next to worthless. I believe Fords "locker" only works at low speeds in 4wd which is kinda limited IMO.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkf
C channel frame with crossmembers where needed. Its better to flex than be real stiff and crack. I'll be waiting to see how these thinner hydroformed frames hold up after over a decade of heavy winters.
thats no joke, i spent 6 month working at a place that did mostly snowplows and service bodies, you should see all the extra bracing that chevy's need, most specifically from the plow undercarriage back to the front crossmember. also, they are freakishly thin. dont even need to dig out the frame drill cause a harbor freight 1/2 air drill will cut through it like butter.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Mack185
Freshman User
That's funny that you guys bring up plows because around here F-150's are the only 1/2 tons that have recommended mods to mount a plow and a couple companies make you sign waivers if their plow is intended for an F150.

Of course I'm guessing you all are referring to 3/4-1 tons. At the same time , though, we have a 1994 Suburban at work that has had a plow on it for 10+ years and we have never had an issue with it. It sit's with the plow mounted all through spring, fall and summer yet still no problems. The tranny lost reverse last year and you need a tetanus shot from just looking at the undercarriage but it still plugs along. Weird, huh.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Based on that, Ford ought to be desperate.

Why do you think the Ford was such a pooch?
the chevy was empty and the ford was loaded... there was a brick under the fords gas peadal... the ford driver simply let the chevy out do the ford..no way in real life would the 6.0 chevy v8 outrun the 6.8 ford v10

all these ads favor themselves... would expect anything else?

Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Of course I'm guessing you all are referring to 3/4-1 tons. At the same time , though, we have a 1994 Suburban at work that has had a plow on it for 10+ years and we have never had an issue with it. It sit's with the plow mounted all through spring, fall and summer yet still no problems. The tranny lost reverse last year and you need a tetanus shot from just looking at the undercarriage but it still plugs along. Weird, huh.
I wouldn't buy a 1/2 ton for plowing and most buy 3/4-1 ton trucks or larger for plowing in my area. Don't know what the deal is with the year(s) of F-150s you are referring to.

The GMs that I was reading about were the later models primarily 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The company I worked for has and still uses a 94' 2500 with a 350 auto. It has actually held up pretty good over the years and it still has the original engine and trans in it. Snow can vary from year to year in my area so some years it doesn't see all that much plow duty. I had to do some work on it with the plow and to add a salt spreader so I got to climb around under the truck. The frame was not impressive at all especially from the back of the cab back. My 74' F-100 has a more beefy frame in most areas compared to that thing. I'll give it to that 94', it has lasted but the ergonomics, fit, finish, refinement and etc was not up to par with what Ford had to offer in the same MY IMO.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
The 2011-up GM HD's are a very different story. Probably the best plow trucks available now, hate to say it.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Still a tad early to tell for the new GMs, regardless they are still IFS. I'd rather have a Dodge.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even for my own driveway, if it doesn't have a straight axle up front I won't plow with it, PERIOD. I can't stand any of the newer GM trucks, heck they quit building trucks in 72! As for the Gov Loc, yeah it's a total pile of $#!t, I see enough of them come into work everyday blown to pieces. It doesn't take long to convince the vehicle owner to buy something else... typically they end up going with a Detroit True Trac, which is by far a much better unit. We have yet to have any complaints. I will say GM was smart to go with the Isuzu Duramax and Allison transmission, the rest of the truck just sucks.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet's desperation taken to hilarious new level.