Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
dewatering wvo

Guys, i'm stumped. My eyes are popping outta my head, and get'n a knarly headache reading anything/everything pertaining to this... Did a batch and after settling, did the crackle test, just to see bubbles under the oil. Its been settling for 12+hrs, along with heated to 200+*F. I then passed it thru a 50/20/5 micron filters, hoping it would catch what water was remaining, but to no prevail. Am i missing a step, man i'm ready to pull trigger on a centrifuge. Appreciate any input fellas.
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
I used to have water problems too until I was told about Magnesol. A bonus of using it is that it also removes water from Bio. Only drawback is you need to filter more than 5 microns.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.timmyboy76 has a great reputation on FTE.
timmyboy76 seadooya
Appreciate the feedback, Trent. Ya, i'm bug'n out here. Can not for life of me understand WHAT's goin on. My set-up is exactly how this other kats' is...etc. I'm thinking, about the "fanning" ofthe oil. I saw a thread where they used firesprinkler head to "dewater". Well, my bro inlaw has a company in this field. Gonna pick a few up, pipe off the pump, and see what happens.

Magnesol....what/where 's that..lol
TIM...PAA#113....plenums inserts, hpx, frx, 50 cent, gauges, trans-coolant-oil DIY by-pass systems, H/H mod, DIY WVO system..190k and counting
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
Google it, expains better than I can. In a nutshell removes impurities along with water and methanol from biodiesel. I assumed you were making bio?
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Posting Guru

444dieselrod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How are you getting the oil to the filter? Just sucking good oil off the top of a jug or pouring into a barrel filter?

FWIW, I just settle in the sun and suck good off the top and run through a water trap fuel filter. Only done one water test in 8 years and it didn't crackle too bad so I never changed my method. I also run a water trap filter on the truck, I figure if it gets past 2 filters it must my lucky day to sit on the side of the road.....
'99 Jetta TDI, 5-SPD.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Postmaster

You sound like you do more than we do. We filter though a paint filter for a 5 gallon bucket into a 55 gallon barrell. (see gallery) After settling for a couple days, the oil then goes into the prcessor from a spicot that is mounted at the 10 gallon level. there is another spicot on the bottom for draining the crap that settles to the bottom.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
Quote:
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod View Post
How are you getting the oil to the filter? Just sucking good oil off the top of a jug or pouring into a barrel filter?
Gravity fed to pump, then pump thru a 3-stage filter setup..(pics in album). I just got back from HD, so, gonna re-plum the left side of pump to incorporatethe "spray" drying effect.

Onboard, trucks' system has a fuel/water seperator filter, but if i can at all, eliminate most of the H2O, then gonna try it.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Posting Guru

I just looked at your album, assuming the black barrel is your heat and settle barrel and the blue is your final after filter barrel. One thing I see is your suction line on the black barrel is so low, I would move it up atleast 6" from the bottom, same with the blue.

What are you bringing the oil home in? I get all mine in 5 gallon cubies right from the bar, they clean the fryers hot then dump the oil so by the time it gets to me its already settled somewhat, I can clearly see the good oil on top, some water/fat on the bottom. I just suck the good oil off the top and leave the rest in the cubie. Looking at your setup you could easily add something to suck oil out of a barrel/cubie and pump it into the black barrel, just add a few more valves and T fittings.

I realy like your set-up in the truck box, looks very neat and clean. have you had any trouble with the water trap filter filling with water or just the crackel test?

Diesel Rod
'99 Jetta TDI, 5-SPD.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore X View Post
You sound like you do more than we do. We filter though a paint filter for a 5 gallon bucket into a 55 gallon barrell. (see gallery) After settling for a couple days, the oil then goes into the prcessor from a spicot that is mounted at the 10 gallon level. there is another spicot on the bottom for draining the crap that settles to the bottom.
Here is my entire method. I get the oil in the 5 gallon Cubies right from the bar, sometimes 1, other times 2. They have already settle quite well because they put the oil in the cubie hot. I get them on a friday, I usually let them sit out in the sun for a week or 2 depending how busy I am. then I'll run the oil through my cream seperator just for kicks then it goes into a 60 gallon holding tank. after sitting in there for how ever long I pump it through a Golden Rod Fuel/Water filter only heating to 100║ so it doesnt pump so hard, right into my truck. I also have a fuel/water filter with an electric pump on the truck.

The system is ever changing and hopefully by the end of summer I will have a 55 gallon clear solar powered settling tank on the roof of my WVO shed. 7 years ago I just settled and pumped into the truck through a similar filter. the cream seperator was a recent addition this winter, dont know if it does any good or not.

Diesel Rod
'99 Jetta TDI, 5-SPD.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Postmaster

timmyboy76 seadooya
Quote:
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod View Post
I just looked at your album, assuming the black barrel is your heat and settle barrel and the blue is your final after filter barrel. One thing I see is your suction line on the black barrel is so low, I would move it up atleast 6" from the bottom, same with the blue.

I realy like your set-up in the truck box, looks very neat and clean. have you had any trouble with the water trap filter filling with water or just the crackel test?

Diesel Rod
Diesel Rod, forgot about this pic, but should cure the problem of pickup in black tank being looowww... Thanks man for the compliment. I set it up that way, for when smog time comes, its just a matter of unhooking a few things and disconnecting a couple of wires, then BAM, passes visual...

Crap, cant post pics, but its in album... i got a cone welded to bottom of black drum for crap and water settling...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
dewatering, fanning, filter, gallon, oil, settling, truck, wvo