Sponsored by: Moser

Tunes for GAS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Chillman15
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tunes for GAS

Has anyone done any tunes for their GAS Truck? I have always been a diesel guy and now I am back in the GAS Engine World. Was wondering if people are doing tunes to help with performance or MPG?

If so share your story. Would be interested to see if it is worth the investment like they are for the diesel engines.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 PM
mapitts66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You are not going to see the kind of improvements you saw in a diesel, but you will see improvements in trans shifting, low end torque to a degree, and over all driveability of the truck.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:06 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chillman15
Has anyone done any tunes for their GAS Truck? I have always been a diesel guy and now I am back in the GAS Engine World. Was wondering if people are doing tunes to help with performance or MPG?

If so share your story. Would be interested to see if it is worth the investment like they are for the diesel engines.
Tunes can do very little for a gas engine.

They can raise the RPM limit, for more power, but thats a sketchy idea.
Transmission tuning can change the feel of you're driving experience.

Also with the right tune you can ripe out the CAT, and disable EGR functions.
\
I don't think I'd ever tune a gas vehicle unless I had a turbocharger & water injection going in also.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I run tunes in my '06 from Mike Butler at 5 Star Tuning. He's a site sponsor and a great customer service example. I would suggest you call, email, or send him a PM with your questions:
5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Originally Posted by mapitts66
You are not going to see the kind of improvements you saw in a diesel, but you will see improvements in trans shifting, low end torque to a degree, and over all driveability of the truck.
Overall driveability is the best way to describe what benefits a tune in a gas truck provides. The power increase is noticeable, but not huge. The torque comes in a little sooner, but that's likely due to more aggressive lockup in the converter. Honestly, the reduction in DBW lag is probably the #1 thing you'll recognize if you obtain a tune.

Originally Posted by parkland
Tunes can do very little for a gas engine.

They can raise the RPM limit, for more power, but thats a sketchy idea.
Transmission tuning can change the feel of you're driving experience.

Also with the right tune you can ripe out the CAT, and disable EGR functions.

I don't think I'd ever tune a gas vehicle unless I had a turbocharger & water injection going in also.
To each their own Parkland. A diesel is an entirely different beast when it comes to prgramming. Much easier to bump the fuel pressure and obtain HUGE gains.
Would I tune a gas vehicle? YES, over and over. WHY? Well the factory does leave something on the table. You can get more aggressive with certain strategies (like TC lockup) where the factory did not, and still do it safely. I have about 12k miles on my tunes...and I love the way the truck runs with them. So much in fact that I've gone from an 87 octane tune which was good, to a 93 octane tune which really wakes up my 6,000lbs beast. Even with fuel prices where they are...the 93 tune will stay. If I'm not cramming my foot down her throat...she returns better mileage on the 93 tune than on the 87 tune...enough in fact to return the cost increase per fill up.

Anyway, there's my $.02. Enjoy!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chandler hit the nail on the head.

Couldn't agree with him more.

Please do yourself a big favor and stay away from the canned tuning devices.

If you do have an EB, I strongly suggest you wait until SCT or Diablosport get their tuners on the market. I would not trust Edge (and I have an Edge/Gryphon CTS with custom tunes from PHP).

Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Chillman15
Freshman User
It is funny you mention PHP. I had their tunes for my 02 7.3L and absolutely loved them!!! WOW!!!. They are actually the first website I went to to look at tunes for my 2010 5.4L.

Not impressed with their tunes or is it causing other issues?

Right now I am seeing roughly 15 mpg with my 5.4L. The main reason I was thinking about getting the tune was because I was really looking to try to increase that # above 15. I tow a 24' open bow boat 4 times a year over a short 20 mile distance. So the extra power/torque is not my main focus.

If people are not seeing a increase in MPG with Tunes what other options are out there besides the typical advice of "Keeping your foot out of her".

Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
It is funny you mention PHP. I had their tunes for my 02 7.3L and absolutely loved them!!! WOW!!!. They are actually the first website I went to to look at tunes for my 2010 5.4L.

Not impressed with their tunes or is it causing other issues?

Right now I am seeing roughly 15 mpg with my 5.4L. The main reason I was thinking about getting the tune was because I was really looking to try to increase that # above 15. I tow a 24' open bow boat 4 times a year over a short 20 mile distance. So the extra power/torque is not my main focus.

If people are not seeing a increase in MPG with Tunes what other options are out there besides the typical advice of "Keeping your foot out of her".

Thanks everyone for the input!
Charlie will have to chime back in on the PHP front.

As for an MPG increase, don't EXPECT one, but it's possible to see gains due to more low end torque, etc. If you do tow, the firmer quicker shifts will help save the life of your transmission. Firmer quicker shifts reduce slippage, reduction in slip = reduction in heat, which will prolong the life of your trans.
I would suggest that you get three different tunes. 87 Octane Performance, 87 Tow, and then a 91 or 93 Octane performance (depending on octane availability in your area) and run each for 5 fillups or so to account for driving differences and see how they stack up against each other.

I strongly suggest you call Mike Butler. The 10 minutes or so you'll spend on the phone with him will be very worth-while.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
I really like my PHP tunes, but if you had the Ecoboost I would wait for SCT or Diablosport.

Since you have the 5.4L, Mike Butler at 5Star is the way to go (PHP's customer service has severly declined in the last 6-8 months mainly due to Corey's health issues and other emergencies). But if you have to have a realtime display then the Gryphon is your only real choice. Of course you could get an XCAL3 and a Scangauge - but it's just not as fancy lookin.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
SCT does have the Livewire...it's nice...and SCT makes you pay for it too!!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
The Livewire hasn't been upgraded for the 09+ platform.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by shotgunz
The Livewire hasn't been upgraded for the 09+ platform.
Whoooops

Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
+1 for 5Star. Wow, seems like alot of threads re: tuners lately. I guess thats to be expected with the price of gas 2x what it should be Chandler, maybe if you and I keep pimping for Mike we can earn like Subway points towards some new tunes or something huh? Tunes can do some for a gas engine, just nowhere near what they did for my 6.0. A 120 hp tune scared the crap outta me

Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
pb34
Senior User
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Chandler hit the nail on the head.

Couldn't agree with him more.

Please do yourself a big favor and stay away from the canned tuning devices.

If you do have an EB, I strongly suggest you wait until SCT or Diablosport get their tuners on the market. I would not trust Edge (and I have an Edge/Gryphon CTS with custom tunes from PHP).
What is it that makes you not trust Edge? The Edge I had on my '06 was great and then it was even greater with the tunes from PHP.

I actually just ordered an Edge for my '11 Ecoboost so I can let you all know how it is when it arrives.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Because Edge still cannot program the TCM on the 09+.

Quick Reply: Tunes for GAS