Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
New User

Hostilact89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lag shifting into drive f250 5.4

I seem to be lagging on the shift going from park-drive, rev-drive, neutral-drive. there will be a 2-3sec delay then a slight jerk forward nothing like hard jerk just the truck moves forward without tire movment...... Any ideas?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Check the transmission fluid level.
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Could be low.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
New User

All fuilds were changed and topped off last week. just double checked and trans fuild is full
Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Provide more details.

How long has it been happening?
Was it the same before as after the fluid service?
What fluid was used?
Was the transmission filter also changed?
Was the fluid level checked in accordance with the manual?
Are there ANY other transmission-related anomalies?
How many miles on transmission?
Any prior service history on the transmission?
Recent service on the vehicle?
Which transmission?
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
New User

-It started about 3 months ago, I thought it was the fluid so i had it changed.
-It is the same as before i changed the fluid
-Not sure what fluid was used, the shop that did repairs on my truck did it when i brought it in for a follow up
-I dont think the filter was changed with the fluid
-Yes it was done by the book
-No other trans issues that i have noticed
-It is the original trans truck has 101,800 miles on it
-No prior service history on it other than the routine check ups
-Recent service, Cleaned the air filter, oil change, oil filter change, all fuilds topped off.
-Not sure which trans it has, as far as I know it is the stock one that came with the modle. 2003 F250 5.4L Fx4 XLT Tow Package

Sorry I dont have all the information you mentioned, a little new to this whole trouble shooting thing.....on ground vehicles at least
Old 04-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Post Fiend

Once it does engage, are there any other transmission or driveability concerns during normal driving?

Any delay when shifting into reverse?

Directly to either first or 2nd?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 AM
New User

No other delays that I can tell, if so they are so minor that I cant notice them. It only seems to be going from rev/neutral/park into drive. 1st-drive is fine, and 2nd-drive is fine.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
How about neutral-2 and neutral-1?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Post Fiend

It *might* any of several things including a restricted or leaky filter, a weak pump, valve body components sticking or leaking, or an internal clutch or accumulator problem.

I've sent a message to someone with far more expertise that I have to take a look at your symptoms. Hopefully, Mark will be along in due time and will be able to comment with more depth. Having a transmission thread in an engine forum isn't a good way to attract the right expertise.

edit: Speaking of...
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM
New User

Well i just checked and It seems to be fine neutral-2 but neutral-1 it does do it.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM