6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

my truck is a pig on fuel !!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
rheal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck is a pig on fuel !!!!

i have 2008 diesel ford f-350 lariat , double wheel, 5 speed auto, cad cab...my problem is very hard on fuel .... what is my solution to have better miliage with the truck... today some people toll me to replace the exausht systeme for bigger ( because the exaust have to much restrection) and put a chips...they toll me that as was going to go from 24 L \ 100km to 15 L \ 100km ... and will win 100 hp and this help on the milliage ...more solution and this is right?????

Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Man I'm not sure what you said there. The 6.4L is very thirsty, that's true. You don't say what rear axle you have but if it's a 4.30 like mine then you will have poor fuel mileage. But you have a very heavy, very powerful truck. I don't know hjow to do the conversion but you should expect around 12 MPG with a DRW truck. I got 8 to 8.5 towing my fifth wheel. You can improve your mileage by removing the DPF. That requires a tuner. I did that and my mileage increased 10 to 15%. It is illegal in the states but many owners did it anyway. It also voids the warranty if you have any left.

You don't sound like a real motor head so I suggest you spend some time on this forum studying. Just enter DPF Delete or Tuner in the searchbox and you will get reading material for the rest of the week. Once you have read up on the subject you will be able to make an informed decision. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 PM
rheal
New User
tank-you and your right...bran-new is this forum ...tanks for advace....

Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 AM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Where are you located? Country?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:39 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by longview1
Where are you located? Country?

lol...... just .... lol....

Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 PM
o'berry farms
Freshman User
Im not sure what to tell you i have been getting about 15 mpg in a F450 4x4 8 foot factory bed with the 430 rear axle. and now that i just changed the fuel oil and air filters im getting between 17-20 mpg and i havent done any mods to it. it might be the fuel you are getting try some additives that increases the cetain rateing of your fuel.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:27 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I say "sorry, but you are not getting those MPGs". The computer might say you are and you might for whatever reason think you are, but you are not getting that mileag in a 450 or even a 350 with a 4.30 rear axle and a 6.4L engine. You might get the 15 on the highway, empty at 60 MPH with no head wind and no hills, but 17 and whatever else you said just ain't happening.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I say "sorry, but you are not getting those MPGs". The computer might say you are and you might for whatever reason think you are, but you are not getting that mileag in a 450 or even a 350 with a 4.30 rear axle and a 6.4L engine. You might get the 15 on the highway, empty at 60 MPH with no head wind and no hills, but 17 and whatever else you said just ain't happening.
I agree.

I have 3.73 and drw f350. I got exactly 15mpg on highway on 300 spartan. I may have been able to coerce another mpg out of it by avoiding a mountain pass. The LOM said 19.5mpg...

Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ

I agree. I have 4.30 gears, dpf delete, straight pipe 4" exhaust, AFE Stage II intake, factory size tires, and tuned, and if i really really baby it on the highway, staying at 65 or below unloaded on relatively flat ground and with no stops between fill ups I "might" be able to squeak out 17. Max. I have managed 16. 4 hand calculated but that was under the conditions above. It was still slowwwwly climbing, but hitting 17 I think is optimistic.

If I were a betting man, I'd say there's not a snowball's chance in hell of a stock 6.4 F-450 w/4.30 gears managing 20 mpg. There's always someone who wants you believe that some how, some way, their stock engine is different from the thousands of others on the road.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Best I have seen out of my 2010 hand calc'd is 19, but I have 3.55's.....

Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
hair bear
New User
Talking I feel your pain

I have been ready to stop daily driving of my 2008 F-250 6.4 diesel because of the 7.5 mpg. I was getting in driving on the rural roads of my community in western North Carolina. I read about the cetane booster products and though skeptical I was ready to spend $20 to see. I purchased the product that Wal-Mart offers and withing two days I was going from 7.5 mpg. to 11.4 mpg. and at times as high as 12.2 mpg. I have tried this every morning for 4 days travelling the same route and at the same relative speeds. Best $20 I've spent yet. I have a friend who is a former Ford Certified mechanic and service manager and I had talked to him about chips or whatever and he told me they wouldn't help much if any. So I'm glad I tried the cetane boost and I plan to keep it in my tank.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tgreening
There's always someone who wants you believe that some how, some way, their stock engine is different from the thousands of others on the road.
DPF condition and regen frequency can vary wildly on how the truck is used/ maintained.

It is entirely possible for 2 identical trucks to have different MPG.

IMHO.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by parkland
DPF condition and regen frequency can vary wildly on how the truck is used/ maintained.

It is entirely possible for 2 identical trucks to have different MPG.

IMHO.
Different yes, but not by 30 or 40 or 50 percent. Just no way. And most of the guys getting anything decent are deleted with tuners. Mine is and I gained about 15%, went from 8.5-9 to 10 MPG towing. i consider that a pretty good improvement. Guy above says he started using Diesel Kleen and went from 7.5 to 11.5. Thats a 50% plus improvement. Since he has a 250 and it's a 2010 I'm thinking he was never getting 7.5. Odds are he has a 3.55 rear axle and was getting 11 to 12 or mnore all along. But, there are a lot of reasons to use Diesel kleen besides fuel economy. I have added DK to every tank on fuel. it is very necessary with the new diesel fuel. As to the MPG, well my wife says men have a hard time telling the truct about sex and fuel mileage. (LOL)

Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
grende7581
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just installed a Gear Vendors (GV) on my F-350 SRW (truck stats below). I have not logged enough miles to give accurate feed back to the forum yet. GV drops the RPM's about 550, so I'm expecting 19mpg at 70-75 with a light load. The GV comes at a price. Next step would be to start deleting DPF. I'll keep you posted

Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
If I understand/recall it correctly, Gear Vendors doesn't recommend/warranty their product in our trucks in conjunction with towing...? That's a whole bunch of money to seriously compromise the utility of the truck for a few MPG. I'm also thinking it would take a LONG time to break even on that mileage "investment".

Been a lot of talk about additives lately (check out this study HERE). I've used Ford Diesel Fuel Treatment since I bought my truck brand new. The lubricity of ULSD is GARBAGE and the proper additive restores that lost lubricity, increases the cetane rating which in turn gives you better mileage and less wear and tear on fuel system components, the fuel injectors specifically. Using the proper additive (I have some Opti-Lube XPD on the way!) is just as critical to your motor as maintaining the severe maintenance schedule...

I have 3.55s in my truck and my tuned/hand-calculated MPG has ranged from 9.1 to 17.4. If you're NOT hand-calculating, you're doing it wrong, period. It's not rocket science either.

Deleting the DPF and tuning is probably the best thing you can do for your truck. The major drawbacks are (1) voiding your warranty and (2) state inspection issues (if applicable). Stopping the regeneration process eliminates the fuel dilution/oil contamination process, which combined with the severe maintenance schedule and proper fuel additive treatment should dramatically improve the life of the motor. These trucks are still a little new to make any outrageous claims one way or the other, and there's always dramatic examples, likewise, one way or the other, that are at extreme ends of the spectrum. The bone stock 6.4 with 30K miles that's on its 3rd radiator, leaking injector(s), etc. or the one with 300K that had nothing but fuel put in it and run like a clock...

I'm also a HUGE fan of (Blackstone) oil analysis. It's the single best way to tell exactly how healthy your motor is, and can show developing problems long before they're full blown, out of control and need to be dealt with after ending up on the side of the road and on a flatbed with a big ole bill to swallow afterwards!

Did I mention filtration?! Oil, coolant, fuel and tranny bypass filtration systems are likewise insurance (some cheaper than others) to keep your motor tip-top. So far I have 2 out of 4 and will be adding the fuel and tranny shortly...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, owning these trucks is NOT for the amateur that thinks all they need is "gas" If someone's not up to the task of staying on top of their truck (or paying someone, like their dealership, to do it for them) then they'd likely be far better off with a 1/2-ton gasser. That's the main reason why OTR trucker-types do well with diesel pickups; they get it!

YMMV of course!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my truck is a pig on fuel !!!!