1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Found a source for the IVS switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I missed this thread last year. Mine is toost, any body want to make a profit? They are out of stock.
I WANNA MAKE A PROFIT! Too bad I didnt get any.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
It looks to me that it can't be taken apart without breaking it. I need one, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Farmboy1539
Freshman User
Apparently it's that time of the year... Mine started acting up in the beginning of October but became a PITA this weekend so I guess it's time to replace mine as well.

Newark is out of them too.

Anyone have any luck pulling them off a parts truck or one in the junkyard?? Seems like that's the only real option at the moment. Don't really feel like rigging it up with a switch.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you're gonna hit up a parts truck, just take the whole pedal, so you get the position sensor too. It does unbolt pretty easy from the pedal, though.

I know the pedal base is different, but does anybody know if the IVS is the same between the OBS and SD?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
It looks to me that it can't be taken apart without breaking it. I need one, not sure what I'm going to do yet.
Originally Posted by Farmboy1539
Apparently it's that time of the year... Mine started acting up in the beginning of October but became a PITA this weekend so I guess it's time to replace mine as well.

Newark is out of them too.

Anyone have any luck pulling them off a parts truck or one in the junkyard?? Seems like that's the only real option at the moment. Don't really feel like rigging it up with a switch.
do you two guys find the same thing I described - sticking at first on startup, then being ok? or is your issue different?

I hit mine with some silicone spray this afternoon, so we'll see how it does from now on. the spray can said 'safe for electrical components and contacts,' so hopefully I don't make matters worse, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
do you two guys find the same thing I described - sticking at first on startup, then being ok? or is your issue different?

I hit mine with some silicone spray this afternoon, so we'll see how it does from now on. the spray can said 'safe for electrical components and contacts,' so hopefully I don't make matters worse, but I guess there's only one way to find out.
I removed my pedal assembly to sound proof behind it and I must have bumped it or something, not sure. Its not clicking is all I know and later on sometime I will take it apart just to see what's going on for the heck of it.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
well for what its worth, my shot of silicone lube doesn't seem to have done anything...

I wonder if these things just get fragile in their old age. I swapped the pedal assembly from my red truck into my white truck about 4 months ago. I never had any trouble with this assembly when it was in the red truck, and it worked fine for 3 months in the white truck. I then took it out again when doing my ZF swap, and put it right back in. I didn't notice any trouble immediately after the last re-install, but maybe all the jostling and handling caused the problems i'm seeing now.

...i'm grasping at straws here.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Question?
Is not that switch a normal microswitch? and can be replaced by a "normal or regular" microswitch from Radio Shack or similar? Does it has A LOT of current there? I think that is a switch = ON/OFF, right?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Yep, its just a standard switch. i'd have to doublecheck whether its 'normally closed' or 'normally open' though.

I just did a quick search on mouser and there seem to be quite a few switches that would probably do the trick: Detector Switches | Mouser

this one in particular looks very similar: SPVQ820800 ALPS | Mouser, though there are like 20 different versions of this same switch.

maybe i'll screw around with this over the winter...

Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Thumbs up

Yep, its just a standard switch. i'd have to doublecheck whether its 'normally closed' or 'normally open' though.

I just did a quick search on mouser and there seem to be quite a few switches that would probably do the trick: Detector Switches | Mouser

this one in particular looks very similar: SPVQ820800 ALPS | Mouser, though there are like 20 different versions of this same switch.

maybe i'll screw around with this over the winter...
You are right, Id like to know the specifications of the stock IVS and compare with one of the Mouser switches. Maybe Jim (Hussler) chime in here later.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The switch closes when you press the pedal, and the tab moves _away_ from the button. Think - fridge light. Guess that means "normally closed", i.e. it's closed when there's NOT pressure on the button.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

This: SPVQ820800 ALPS | Mouser, is normal close, but what about the other specs. The other thing, in the ad they say that you have to order 7,020 pieces if you are out of Japan, because if you live in Japan you only have to order 1,755.

Maybe Alex wants to make a profit.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by madpogue
The switch closes when you press the pedal, and the tab moves _away_ from the button. Think - fridge light. Guess that means "normally closed", i.e. it's closed when there's NOT pressure on the button.
yep, that's right - "normally closed" it is. so when the IVS circuit is OPEN, the PCM just ignores the TPS sensor. when its closed, it reads the TPS. makes sense.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
and here's a normally closed one: SPVQ820600 ALPS | Mouser

same mechanicals, but different switch internals. they don't stock it though, but I bet there's a dozen other switches that can meet the same spec. its just a matter of sifting through all of them to find one of the correct size and mounting means, as compared to the stock one.

the mouser search link I posted just happened to be one way of narrowing down from their ~20,000 different switch options that I thought made sense. I have had decent luck in the past by just calling them up and asking for help. maybe they'd even take a drawing and some images and search the catalogue for us for the closest match... can't hurt to ask.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Farmboy1539
Freshman User
Mine will stick on start up occasionally but it will also do it going down the road if I let off the throttle to slow down then get back on it. Usually I have to pump it a few times before it starts working again.

Quick Reply: Found a source for the IVS switch